Supprise after years of playing

solide

Just noticed it is possible to heat food, in my case a can of beans and meat, by placing it next to my campfire (so not on the two cooking stones). I had water boiling on the two stones and more or less by accident opened a can i put near the fire.

Played for years without knowing this was possible…...

2019-12-20.png

Edited by solide

You can also place teas and coffee next to a fire, to keep them warm while using fire. Then when you are ready to head out ,you can drink a tea for warmth bonus and carry another to use before it cools down.

Good tactic for harder difficulties or when having to travel during really cold weather.

Also another thing I did not realise until recently on an interloper run is that you can repair your bedroll without a sewing kit or fishing tackle.

1 hour ago, sierra 117 said:

Also another thing I did not realise until recently on an interloper run is that you can repair your bedroll without a sewing kit or fishing tackle.

Wow, I never knew that either.  I just tried it, dropped all sewing kits and fishing tackle, and the repair worked.  The use of two cloth has been more of a concern than using up some of a sewing kit, so I've never paid attention to that part.  I wonder if that's a bug or intended functionality.

Guest jeffpeng
4 hours ago, sierra 117 said:

That's news to me, too! Sounds buggy.

That bedroll thing has been around for about as long as I can remember.  The first time I noticed it was back when the game only had 3 regions, and I had just carved up an Old Bedroll in one of the logging camp trailers, went looking for things to repair, and discovered that while I couldn't repair my clothes with that cloth, I could repair the bedroll I spawned in with.  At the time I figured it was only allowed because the cloth had come from a bedroll, so it was..I dunno more compatible or something.  But later realized the game makes no distinction from where you get your cloth.

One thing that caught me by surprise about two years ago was that you can craft certain things in less time by having a toolbox in your inventory.  For years I had just been planning my day around it taking 90 minutes to craft an arrow, then someone dropped that bomb on me and I was blown away.

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
2 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

For years I had just been planning my day around it taking 90 minutes to craft an arrow, then someone dropped that bomb on me and I was blown away.

I had a similar revelation when - after over a year of playing - I had a toolbox in inventory by accident and all of a sudden.... mind blown.

Hm, maybe it is intentional that you can fix the bedroll with a sewing kit. It still takes twice the time. So .... yeah, would make sense.

Another thing that actually made me go "Oooooh" out loud was the sudden realisation that the otherworldly chiming sound the Aurora makes is not just a song in the soundtrack but actual in-game sound. So unlike all the other songs it's not only me that can hear it, but the character as well. It just sounds so much like music, I never questioned that. I think I never understood that because when you transition from outside to closed buildings the sound just stops, like any regular game music in TLD.

Recently I was on the plateau in Bleak Inlet during an Aurora event, stepped inside the Overlook and closed the door behind me - only to realize the sound was still there, but muted, exactly like it happens for other environmental sounds like howling wind etc., when you step inside of those locations like overlooks and the cabin on TWM that aren't truly "inside". I had to step back outside and just stood on the little walkway of the Overlook taking it all in, even though I was exhausted and freezing my butt off. The realization that the character can actually HEAR the music of the Aurora just blew my mind so I had to give him a couple of minutes to take it in. Imagine living in a silent world where there's nothing but wind and snow and animals ... and THAT. Wow.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

It's not a bug, The purpose is to prevent players from dying from a ruined bedroll and nowhere to sleep. It's been in the game for years. The time to repair is longer as well if I remember correctly. 

I guess I never paid attention to the options when repairing a bedroll.  I did it just now and was able to choose my sewing kit, fishing tackle, or none.  I didn't look at the time, but it would make sense that using "none" would take longer.  

On 12/24/2019 at 1:41 PM, turtle777 said:

One more slightly counter-intuitive thing:

crafting certain items (e.g. bearskin coat, bearskin bedroll) is FASTER by using fishing tackles than using a sewing kit. 

-t

Is that still the case?  I didn't actually craft one, but stood at a crafting table and looked at the options for a bearskin coat and some other things.  For every item, the displayed time for crafting was twice as long with fishing tackle vs. a sewing kit.  Repairs are longer with fishing tackle, too.  Maybe that was changed recently, but it seems now that the sewing kit is the fastest for crafting and repairs.

On 12/24/2019 at 12:41 PM, turtle777 said:

crafting certain items (e.g. bearskin coat, bearskin bedroll) is FASTER by using fishing tackles than using a sewing kit. 

Actually bearskin cloak, bedroll, wolfskin coat, and moosehide cloak all require a knife or hatchet.  Deerskin boots/pants, rabbitskin hat/mittens, moose satchel, and improvised head/hand wraps though, yeah you can craft them 20% faster with fishing tackle vs. sewing kit.

Oh another little factoid I just remembered, the hitboxes for small objects shrinks if you drop it, then transition away and back into an area.  For example matches, if you drop them then try to RMB them into a new location, they require a lot of empty space around them.  However if you drop them, exit the building, go back inside, and then try to RMB, you can position them right next to each other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ajb1978 said:

Actually bearskin cloak, bedroll, wolfskin coat, and moosehide cloak all require a knife or hatchet.  Deerskin boots/pants, rabbitskin hat/mittens, moose satchel, and improvised head/hand wraps though, yeah you can craft them 20% faster with fishing tackle vs. sewing kit.

Oh, yes, thank you for the clarification / correction.

-t