New Region ideas

Timmytwothumbs

The long dark has a wide variety of playable regions in sandbox mode but I've been thinking of a few themes that could be interesting to explore. A military base region would be cool and the game already has some military themed loot that could be found there. Another region could be a small airfield possibly connecting to an existing town the region could include buildings of it's own similar to coastal highways quonset garage area. Also a desolate region where a siesmologist office can be found given the regions history with earthquakes. Just a few ideas not sure if they've been mentioned before but what do you guys think?

• Upvote 5

The airfield would make the most sense since in Wintermute, Will and Astrid took the plane to Great Bear meaning there had to be a designated place to land somewhere. I'm +1 for this idea. To add to the post-apocalyptic theme, the area could be eerily going haywire during an aurora much like the Hydro dam, only with more radio noises (maybe coming from the intercoms) like in some horror movie.

If it's going to be somehow a loot heavy area, it should be teeming with wolves to give players a challenge navigating the place.

• Upvote 3

I mentioned this in other threads about this topic, so I will echo it here as well:

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 4:08 AM, ManicManiac said:

To echo what I mentioned in another thread similar to this one:

It stands to reason... after all, Mackenzie could potentially use some kind of air strip since they were flying to get to Perseverance Mills (or at least as close as landing could allow).  Though, now that I think about it, Mackenzie's plain does have pontoons, so they could just as easily have been headed for a body of water near Perseverance Mills instead; making an air strip technically unnecessary...  I still think it would be neat if we could have a region with a small airfield... or a proper harbor (given that both are suggested locations by in game lore).

Perseverance Mills sounds like it would be a "company town," there to act as living space for the mill workers (be it lumber mills, or ore/coal processing, or whatever...).  I'd bet that we will eventually see Perseverance Mills before the end of episode 5 - even if only to wrap up Astrid's story.  I mean even in the face of the apocalypse she seems determined to get there to help the people that set her on the journey to begin with.

But what I think would really great, is if one day we could explore Blackrock Federal Penitentiary as a new region.

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 4:08 AM, ManicManiac said:

Hopefully when we get another new region we can have that "New TLD Scent" again :D 
I imagine we will see Perseverance Mills... but what I really want to explore one day is Blackrock Federal Penitentiary!

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:00 AM, ManicManiac said:

I think it would nice if one day we could explore Blackrock Federal Penitentiary as a new region.

I also think it would be neat if we could have a region with a small airfield... or a proper harbor (both are suggested locations by in game lore).

On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 5:15 AM, ManicManiac said:

I seem to remember some concept art (though I don't remember if it was official or not, I will have to look it up...) that does suggest an airfield was on their minds at some point.  Whether or not it will eventually get incorporated is any body's guess :) 

concept.thumb.jpg.0a5582746cb819f0d6692e7a16ed51ce.jpg

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

I really like the prison idea too! However if it were realistic it would be devoid of any loot apart from some socks, tshirts, toilet water maybe and a couple makeshift knives haha. But even if McKenzie wasn't going to land at an air field it would still make sense given that it is a populated region far from civilization in the modern era that great bear island would have some sort of landing strip for aircraft and there could be a few hangars to search an office and even a few houses nearby for people that work there I would also like to see more roads connecting regions much like the railroad does when I first started playing I found myself always gravitating towards roads, powerlines and railroads to find my way around and I really liked that it worked and it added realism to the game for me

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Timmytwothumbs said:

However if it were realistic it would be devoid of any loot apart from some socks, tshirts, toilet water maybe and a couple makeshift knives haha.

The same could be said for anyplace in the game that used to be inhabited by humans before they evacuated.  Besides, we're not really talking about realism... just about what would be enjoyable in the game we love.  :) 

1 hour ago, Swales said:

possibility of a run-down old ski resort

While I agree that might be cool to see... I don't think a ski resort really fits in with the rest of the story of Great Bear Island (everything we've found so far indicates it's just an isolated spot that was being exploited for it's natural resources and industrial potential - probably wouldn't make it a very appealing vacation/tourist destination). 

5 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Still itching for a remote First Nations village. A place where some of the old ways were still embraced, yet degraded by industrialization and tourist trade, at the same time.

I'll just leave it at that. 

And on that note, I would love to see an ulu introduced as a rare lightweight alternative harvesting tool that performs better the more frozen a carcass is. :)  I have an Inupiaq ulu in my kitchen, and it is GREAT for cutting through 100% frozen, straight-out-of-the-freezer meat with minimal effort.

• Upvote 2

I like all the new locations suggested. They make sense to me.

It`s well established lore that Bear Island is dependant upon the mainland for all their needs. The airfield and/ or Docks would be where the supplies form the mainland come from. 

There could be a military base there for survival training purposes, loot would include skill books and maybe a military grade multi-tool. Also, MREs gallore!

There are already tourists in the summer for climbing, camping, and hunting. Why wouldn`t there be somewhere to ski? Sometimes I think some snow-shoes (the kind that look like tennis rackets) would come in handy.

The prison would be interesting. Maybe one of the craziest crims went back there after the bus crash..? As for loot, wouldn´t there be a laundry room, filled with blankets?

A First Nations village would be a real eye-opener for those who, like me, have only seen what the movies have shown me.

One place nobody here has suggested yet is some sort of medical facility, maybe a clinic with one or two beds for emergency cases. Or maybe that could be incorporated into the Military Base.

Thanks for the Thread Timmy.

• Upvote 2

On 8/14/2019 at 1:38 PM, ManicManiac said:

While I agree that might be cool to see... I don't think a ski resort really fits in with the rest of the story of Great Bear Island (everything we've found so far indicates it's just an isolated spot that was being exploited for it's natural resources and industrial potential - probably wouldn't make it a very appealing vacation/tourist destination). 

Does not have to be a successful ski resort. A schlocky resort that leaned in hard to all the "up north" stereotypes and failed miserably would be alternatively amusing and exasperating and be an interesting footnote in the history of Great Bear. 

• Upvote 1