nature's respawn doubt

mayimbe

319/5000

Hello, I would like to know if there is any information about the reappearance of nature. I understand that everything is not done by man. but I would like to know if rose hips and lichen also reappear after several days. If there is any wiki that says so or somewhere to know, please. Thank you
Edited by mayimbe

Rose hips and lichen do respawn after several days (depending on difficulty i think)... Saplings do not but they can be found on the shores so they are technically renewable, animals of course respawn as well but if you hunt too much in the same area/spawning location these respawns will slow down.

Birch bark also respawns since it was originally just classed as a natural tinder.  Cloth, reshi mushrooms and rose hips are all finite, so you can eventually run out of medical supplies... but there are ample there to enable people to survival for more than the 500-day mark ingame even on interloper (where spawns of such things are at their minimums).  You can also obtain infinite random spawns of all sorts of items by beachcombing (although this is pretty inefficient and dangerous).

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

The lack of medical teas will not kill you first. Reishis you never have to use once you get cooking 5. Rose Hips are a luxury for sprains and broken ribs are avoidable. Birch Bark respawns. Old Man Beard could probably run out if you wolves attack you daily but that is also avoidable. Trust me, there are a LOT of these medical things on the map.

• Upvote 1

After all antibiotics and reishi mushrooms have been used up (you would need to be careless to the point of deliberately self-abusive for that to happen) there is no way to get any more.  Everything else is available via beachcombing in some fashion.  Old Man's Beard, Painkillers, birch and maple saplings, cat tails stalks and heads, etc.  You can even find cloth and small scraps of clothing washed up, enabling you to craft more bandages from that.  Although I can't even begin to imagine how long you'd have to play before you faced depletion of resources.  I have one game where I broke down everything...EVERYTHING..in every region.  I had over 1000 cloth total when I was done, and that's not even including all the hoarded articles of unused clothing I could also break down.  I haven't had a wolf struggle in over 100 days.  So using that as a ballpark, say every 200 days I need 1 cloth worth of bandages...at that rate it would take well over 500 YEARS before I ran out of cloth to craft bandages.

Don't worry about running out.  You won't!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Martin Prchal said:

The lack of medical teas will not kill you first. Reishis you never have to use once you get cooking 5. Rose Hips are a luxury for sprains and broken ribs are avoidable. Birch Bark respawns. Old Man Beard could probably run out if you wolves attack you daily but that is also avoidable. Trust me, there are a LOT of these medical things on the map.

I have needed reishi mushrooms for intestinal parasites in spite of having level 5 cooking.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2019 at 8:14 PM, Martin Prchal said:

@peteloud That's weird. I thought that level 5 cooking gets rid of all parasite risk.

It does. I think the issue was that he may have been at level 5 when he ate the meat, but it was cooked prior to that level. My current run (nearly day 400) my diet consists primarily of bear, with the occasional moose, and never once got parasites. 

On 8/10/2019 at 10:40 AM, mayimbe said:

Thank you for responding, but medicinal plants should make them infinite and thus not limit the long-term supply of medicines.

Why?  So far, this game is not about guaranteeing your survival infinitely.  It's more about managing your resources to survive as long as you can (which implies that there will always be death at the end of a run).  The more skilled you get at making decisions that avoid attacks and avoid getting food poisoning or parasites, the longer and longer you will be able to survive... but it will never be forever.  On the harder difficulties, other things even come into play - the weather gets progressively colder and animal respawns slow down significantly.  It is a game that IS trying to kill you and will ultimately kill you.  It's not about setting up a home in the Canadian wilderness.  

Even so, people have survived 10 in game years in this game and several have survived longer than 500 days in interloper mode (the setting with the fewest resources).  Running out of cloth and medicines is really something you don't need to be worrying about.  Avoiding that bear or wolf and gathering enough wood and food for the night are your day-to-day concerns.

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 5:47 PM, UpUpAway95 said:

Why?  So far, this game is not about guaranteeing your survival infinitely

Right on!

@mayimbe
Death is the end of every run, and you do have a lot of resources that are "renewable" in a certain sense.  Items that don't "respawn" sort of do with the beachcombing mechanic.  I've found all sorts of medicine, cloth, clothing items, fish, and on a couple very lucky occasions found rifle cartridges washed up.

Another thing a player can do is get to where you need antibiotic and antiseptics much much less.  Food poisoning is easy to tank if you are careful (this way we can save them for the rare bout of intestinal parasites - though that is pretty easy to avoid as well).  You almost never need antiseptics if we avoid hostile wildlife (or at least find safer ways to hunt).  Pain meds don't have much impact anymore, so I don't even bother picking them up.

Edited by ManicManiac

On 30/8/2019 at 1:14, ManicManiac said:

¡Tocar el asunto exacto!

@mayimbe
Death es el final de cada carrera, y tienes muchos recursos que son "renovables" en cierto sentido. Los elementos que no "reaparecen" tienen que ver con la mecánica de caminar por la playa. Encontré todo tipo de medicinas, telas, prendas de vestir, pescado y, en un par de ocasiones muy afortunadas, encontré cartuchos de rifle lavados.

Otra cosa que un jugador puede hacer es llegar a donde necesita antibióticos y antisépticos mucho menos. La intoxicación alimentaria es fácil de depositar si tiene cuidado (de esta manera podemos guardarlos para la rara aparición de parásitos intestinales, aunque eso también es bastante fácil de evitar). Casi nunca necesita antisépticos si evitamos la vida silvestre hostil (o al menos encontramos formas más seguras de cazar). Los analgésicos ya no tienen mucho impacto, por lo que ni siquiera me molesto en recogerlos.

but why die after surviving so many days in the game what you least want is to have to start again could make your days infinite just by adding infinite ways of hunting for example a method of making arrows that you know you can always do more or even fish to survive as long as you want

4 hours ago, mayimbe said:

but why die after surviving so many days in the game what you least want is to have to start again could make your days infinite...

...but the way I see it, the game isn't about infinite survivability.  The best part of the game is knowing our survivors life/time and resources are finite and being able to manage your resources and take careful and deliberate action to live as long as you can.  For me it's the struggle that makes the game great, and beating the odds to find ways to extend your survival with those limited resources is what feels so rewarding.

Anyways, that's how I see it... there are those who might not agree with me, and that's okay :) 

6 hours ago, mayimbe said:

but why die after surviving so many days in the game what you least want is to have to start again could make your days infinite just by adding infinite ways of hunting for example a method of making arrows that you know you can always do more or even fish to survive as long as you want

I disagree with the part that suggests that "after surviving so many days in the game, what I least want is to have to start again."  I tend to deliberately end saves once they become just about hunting and fishing the days away while feeling warm and safe and secure.  Five hundred days is as long as I ever want to go in this game.  The funnest part is the beginning when you're always freezing and have no real means of defense or the ability to hunt efficiently and you're scrambling around the map just trying to find the basic things you need to survive.  Thankfully, I'm not very good at avoiding predators indefinitely... a lot of them have mercifully ended my save files before they became mundane.