Allow cancelling sleep when aurora starts

stratvox

I have one wishlist item for sleeping, and that is to permit cancelling sleep when the aurora starts, so if you want to you can get up and experience some of the beauty. It also makes sense from the game perspective because it would just be affecting you in the same way that it affects all the other animals in the world.

• Upvote 3

Guest jeffpeng

I actually would even be fine to be woken up by the aurora. Sure it would interrupt the sleep cycle and cause some potential condition loss, but I guess it just would make sense, as you pointed out. The aurora in itself is just a pretty amazing gameplay mechanic that gets underutilized once you've got a sleeping routine. It's a bit like those 1AM reruns of Twin Peaks.

Actually a really cool mechanic might be to just simply ditch fatigue as a concept once the aurora is active. You're awake, you can run without getting tired, with the only cost to running being the greater calorie consumption, but no sleep during the aurora so no condition recovery outside of drinking birch bark tea... or permit sleep but you can't recover condition from sleep during an aurora. You could counter balance the buff to fatigue by amping up the predators just a little bit more than they already are during the aurora.

Could make for some interesting gameplay choices.

Guest jeffpeng

I like that idea. That would give actual use to the aurora, other than being able to see a bit better at night. (And having supercharged wolves predators ...)

17 minutes ago, stratvox said:

with the only cost to running being the greater calorie consumption

I've actually done quite some testing on that. If you factor in the time saved by running you actually end up with pretty much the same calories for the same distance whether or not you run or walk. Things look much worse for fatigue, of course.

Yes, sprinting is all about the fatigue, that's for sure. You can wind yourself right out in pretty short order by sprinting a lot.

Heh, ditching the sprint bar etc kinda reminds me of how fatigue worked in Doom 3, where while you're on the hell levels it doesn't exist and you can run to your heart's content.

Being able to endlessly sprint during an aurora could make the calorie burn of it really matter though, esp. to people who are trying to maintain the well-fed buff. I can easily see a situation where you suddenly realise you're about to hit empty on the calories and there's no food nearby so Well Fed is gonna go bye-bye.

Hmmm, another interesting tuning to it: if you're starving during an aurora, you can still run but while you're sprinting your condition damage doubles from 1%/hr to 2%/hr. This is because the "on speed" effect of the aurora will allow you to run while starving but you'll be using up your body while you're doing it, albeit with no discomfort.

As a side note: since they separated Pain and Sprains as afflictions, if you're wandering about with a sprained ankle and the pain wears off, the survivor should stop complaining about how much it hurts while he's walking.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont want any buffs to the character since humans dont seem to be as sensitive to changing electromagnetic fields as animals. But I do think at the very least it could intertupt an REM cycle. It should wake you up if youve been asleep for longer than an hour with the message "A mysterious sensation has awoken you" would be pretty cool and useful. Or maybe just the buzz and flicker of electronics if you're around them would wake you. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest jeffpeng
On 7/26/2019 at 7:05 PM, MarrowStone said:

Or maybe just the buzz and flicker of electronics if you're around them would wake you.

I don't know how other people sleep, but when my phone has finished charging the wall plug I used to have made a teeny tiny screetching noise (bad caps I guess) and that kept waking me up at night. So I figure I personally would stand upright in bed if all of a sudden electronics would go apepoop crazy.

On 7/26/2019 at 7:05 PM, MarrowStone said:

I dont want any buffs to the character since humans dont seem to be as sensitive to changing electromagnetic fields as animals.

We're talking some crazy geomagnetic phenomenon that apparently moves electricity through wires that aren't even connected to anything. To think about how much of an electromagnetic field in flux would be required to cause measurable current in a single wire is pretty wild, but to see them actually sparkling and frying people ... holy mother. I think we have very little data to assume how the human physique would react to that. 

I though the Aurora happened like every 2-3 days but then I realised its down to random and when the weather is right for it. I must admit I miss the auroras pretty much everytime and always go with the idea to collect buffers but always sleep prior to everything lighting up...

4 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

I don't know how other people sleep, but when my phone has finished charging the wall plug I used to have made a teeny tiny screetching noise (bad caps I guess) and that kept waking me up at night. So I figure I personally would stand upright in bed if all of a sudden electronics would go apepoop crazy.

I have this issue too, all of the chargers do, some are louder and others are like dog-whistle high pitched. It seems to be from to the transformers inside them. Old Tv's make a very loud high pitched noise when on with no picture too. Not to mention my desktop speakers hum a very low pitch if left powered on. 

4 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

We're talking some crazy geomagnetic phenomenon that apparently moves electricity through wires that aren't even connected to anything. To think about how much of an electromagnetic field in flux would be required to cause measurable current in a single wire is pretty wild, but to see them actually sparkling and frying people ... holy mother. I think we have very little data to assume how the human physique would react to that.

I did say that I can believe it interrupting an REM, but more likely than not it wouldn't do anything to enhance any of your actions. I'm sure it'd wake you up. But you'd probably just be subject to insomnia and a headache, or have an unknown source of irritability. I know that strong magnetic fields can mess with your vision/balance.

Guest jeffpeng
On 8/14/2019 at 3:14 AM, ManicManiac said:

It's simpler for us to just sleep in short increments if we are waiting to take advantage an aurora.  There's really no need to change the game if all we need to do is change the way we play it slightly.  :) 

Short sleep increments are both unintuitive and cost you condition recovery. Plus I really wonder why you generally advocate against pretty much any idea that proposes an ever so slightly change to the game. 

On 7/12/2019 at 12:36 PM, jeffpeng said:

I actually would even be fine to be woken up by the aurora. Sure it would interrupt the sleep cycle and cause some potential condition loss, but I guess it just would make sense, as you pointed out. The aurora in itself is just a pretty amazing gameplay mechanic that gets underutilized once you've got a sleeping routine. It's a bit like those 1AM reruns of Twin Peaks.

I think that, on lower difficulties, the character is awoken by the aurora.  It's probably related to the same custom settings as being awoken when you start to freeze if your campfire goes out.

• Upvote 1

Guest jeffpeng
6 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I think that, on lower difficulties, the character is awoken by the aurora.  It's probably related to the same custom settings as being awoken when you start to freeze if your campfire goes out.

Oh that might be possible. I guess I'll have to try that. Interesting!

22 hours ago, jeffpeng said:

Plus I really wonder why you generally advocate against pretty much any idea that proposes an ever so slightly change to the game.

@jeffpeng
Well, I support ideas that I agree with, and I offer another point of view when I don't agree... it's just generally how discussion works :D 
If you'd like to talk about this further, feel free to message me.   

Edited by ManicManiac

+1 to Aurora waking, I’d love to see a hit to rest from waking to it, because electronics interrupting sleep. It’d be cool if we could demo the various electrical objects to create a “safer” sleep zone, but I think the aurora should be so disruptive, you “awake with strange sensation” no matter what. Kind like a blizzard for sleep. I think it would be thematic for it to be DIFFICULT to sleep thru the aurora, even if you want/need to. Unless you have tea, or are very tired, I think it should keep you awake.

On 8/17/2019 at 1:16 PM, Treefall said:

+1 to Aurora waking, I’d love to see a hit to rest from waking to it, because electronics interrupting sleep. It’d be cool if we could demo the various electrical objects to create a “safer” sleep zone, but I think the aurora should be so disruptive, you “awake with strange sensation” no matter what. Kind like a blizzard for sleep. I think it would be thematic for it to be DIFFICULT to sleep thru the aurora, even if you want/need to. Unless you have tea, or are very tired, I think it should keep you awake.

Could be an interesting buff for herbal tea; aurora's on and you need to sleep? Have a cup of herbal tea to get your rest, and even have it be enhanced.