why is the vice missing from the workbench?

piddy3825

I know that with each update, a little something or another gets changed,

but why was it necessary to remove the vice from all the workbenches?

Isn't it now just a table?

I don't think the vice broke the lore... or was it too immersive and everyone in the forums were demanding that they just all wanted a "crafting table"?5c26eb23e9ebb_craftingareaandtools.thumb.png.e5eb259109de23a1983fec99e07e132c.png

workbench with vice before last update

screen_e73d083e-8024-40d2-a72f-7516d2d7566f_hi.thumb.png.9cb11bfc73f64398a590fb4035f3905f.png

crafting table sans vice after last update

something are just better left unchanged...

I guess it has the advantage that now there is more space on the table top to put stuff without the vice getting in the way. 

But yeah, it's really just a table now, and begs the question of why we can't just use any old other table for crafting. Plus, it makes it just that tiny bit harder to identify as a workbench, especially in low-light conditions - I've bypassed them a couple of times since redux without realising it wasn't just another metal bench, except for inadvertently clicking on them and getting the crafting menu pop up. 

On 12/29/2018 at 3:10 PM, Pillock said:

I guess it has the advantage that now there is more space on the table top to put stuff without the vice getting in the way. 

But yeah, it's really just a table now, and begs the question of why we can't just use any old other table for crafting. Plus, it makes it just that tiny bit harder to identify as a workbench, especially in low-light conditions - I've bypassed them a couple of times since redux without realising it wasn't just another metal bench, except for inadvertently clicking on them and getting the crafting menu pop up. 

I don't really care about the vice, but I've been wondering why we should need a workbench in order to whittle an arrow shaft.  Isn't that something that could be done while sitting outdoors just as easily as repairing clothing.  The same sort of applies to any of the clothing items we make, although I could see a table being needed to cut out the pattern from the hides (that is, in order to first start the item).  I found it really inconvenient in Milton staying in Gray Mother's house and having to go to either Paradise Meadows or the Trailer to craft... at least I never spotted any workbenches any closer.

19 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I don't really care about the vice, but I've been wondering why we should need a workbench in order to whittle an arrow shaft.  Isn't that something that could be done while sitting outdoors just as easily as repairing clothing.  The same sort of applies to any of the clothing items we make, although I could see a table being needed to cut out the pattern from the hides (that is, in order to first start the item).  I found it really inconvenient in Milton staying in Gray Mother's house and having to go to either Paradise Meadows or the Trailer to craft... at least I never spotted any workbenches any closer.

I agree, we don't really need a vice, but by the same token, we used to be able to "craft" arrowheads from scrap metal without the use of a forge...  but imho, a workbench without a vice is just a table.

2 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

I agree, we don't really need a vice, but by the same token, we used to be able to "craft" arrowheads from scrap metal without the use of a forge...  but imho, a workbench without a vice is just a table.

I agree.   We should be able to make stone arrowheads using the pre-historic chipping techniques without a forge.   Metal arrowheads. improvised knives, axes and other metal tools, however, should be forged.  Forges, however, should be a little more common (perhaps one or two more in the game somewhere).  Workbenches can have the vice, which would be used to hold things like can openers and other tools you repair using scrap metal.  In some locations, like the Carter Hydro Dam, however, I'm OK with there being work tables that don't have a vice since lots of people make repairs to items without ever using one.  Perhaps repairs could just take longer if done at a table that doesn't have a vice.  In that setting, they look more appropriate to me than the other household tables in the game (and they have a drawer that can be searched for loot).  Of course, each one could have a vice, but I'm really not fussed if they don't.

1 hour ago, hozz1235 said:

For an inexperienced survivor, making a metal arrowhead would be MUCH easier than chipping one from stone.  IMHO.

No arguments on that.  In this game, however, it would open up an ability to get some arrows going without going to an actual forge.  I had another thought - allow the player to craft a tin-can forge out of a recycled soup can and scrap metal.  These are used IRL to forge arrowheads and other small knifes.  One issue I can think of is that there are no propane torches in the game that can be used as a fuel source, though. 

4 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

No arguments on that.  In this game, however, it would open up an ability to get some arrows going without going to an actual forge.  I had another thought - allow the player to craft a tin-can forge out of a recycled soup can and scrap metal.  These are used IRL to forge arrowheads and other small knifes.  One issue I can think of is that there are no propane torches in the game that can be used as a fuel source, though. 

you make a valid point regarding the propane.  Just about every trailer in the game has a couple of propane bottles attached.  I would imagine that not every tank is or could be empty across the entire map.  that might be a good wish list request for a future update.  anyways, got to thinking about the arrowheads and if you think about how many broken arrows you come across in the game as you migrate from map to map, I think it might be possible to scavenge enough arrowheads that you might not need to forge any for a  considerable amount of time.  

Archived