Bundles of Sticks

Kayosiv

Pick up 20 sticks, they automatically go into a bundle of 20. You can separate them if you really want to.

That way when you drop a bunch of sticks, you pick up a few sticks and 2 bundles, instead of 44 sticks individually.

This is definitely a good idea as it is always time consuming to pick up huge quantities of sticks from the ground. This can also be a pain if you want to make a pile of them in a shelter and then it needs to be moved. Perhaps a bundle of sticks could be used as a fuel source offering the equivalent of 20 sticks time duration maybe plus a bonus amount. This option should only be available for campfires though as trying to fit 20 sticks in a small burner might be difficult 

I think the intention behind how the mechanic works now is to force the player to consume game time handling the wood. The point is to make dealing with thirty or forty sticks more time consuming from a game time perspective than it is to deal with two or three logs. Time is a resource in this game; your survivability goes way up if you are snug in your rug come sundown with all the stuff you need for the night. Dealing with huge numbers of sticks makes that harder. Since eventually you're going to run out of hatchet, it's part of the mechanic that makes life harder the longer you survive in the game; when you can no longer chop wood you're restricted to sticks for your heating needs and that costs you a lot of time, and that makes it harder to get back to wherever you're crashing that night before the sun goes down.

If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense, actually. I'd be surprised if that changed.

6 hours ago, odizzido said:

To me it's a repetitive activity that my fingers don't need to deal with, I played enough megaman when I was younger. I use autohotkey to deal with piles of sticks. Just hold down z and move the mouse a little and I am good.

That's fine... it'll still consume time. Turning 30 sticks into a bundle won't. If you follow my reasoning on that.

On 6/1/2018 at 11:57 AM, Erutor said:

Perhaps allow us to "craft" a fire log with 20 sticks and a chunk of Old Man's Beard, or a piece of cloth?

I really like this suggestion. Making something that is no automatic or necessary but also allows the option for those who want it.

We should be able to quickly craft that bundle from 20 sticks and nothing else in the hand-crafting menu. Bundle should have a different graphical appearance and heating effects of 20 sticks. Could be dismantled again to get 20 sticks. I don't think this would make the game easier in any conceivable degree, since we can pick up lots of sticks very quickly as is. But the repetitive clicking is an annoyance. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2018 at 11:58 AM, Hotzn said:

I don't think this would make the game easier in any conceivable degree, since we can pick up lots of sticks very quickly as is. But the repetitive clicking is an annoyance. 

Getting rid of the annoyance of clicking rapidly is all I'd like to achieve.

I've previously suggested implementing "stacks", meaning all stuff you drop without moving ends up in a pile which can be searched like a container, where stuff could be taken away but not added (to avoid the "build the biggest stack ever" contest).

13 hours ago, Hotzn said:

Didn't get it. Can you explain?

It's archaic but a bundle of sticks was referred to as a "faggot" a long time ago.  A quick search on wiki says it as a standard of measurement that was 'codified' in 1474.  here's the link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(unit)@Hotzn,  @Khan_Drichthyes and I were just having a bit of fun with the word's history. 

In the UK, rather recently (perhaps currently -- some of our British friends my be of considerable help here), a cigarette was (is) referred to as a "fag".  

6 hours ago, Doc Gonzo said:

It's archaic but a bundle of sticks was referred to as a "faggot" a long time ago.  A quick search on wiki says it as a standard of measurement that was 'codified' in 1474.  here's the link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(unit)@Hotzn,  @Khan_Drichthyes and I were just having a bit of fun with the word's history. 

In the UK, rather recently (perhaps currently -- some of our British friends my be of considerable help here), a cigarette was (is) referred to as a "fag".  

Ah, interesting. I went to school in Norfolk in the late 80s of... well, of the past century, if you so will... and indeed do dimly remember the word "fag" for a cigarette. But not for a bundle of sticks. There is always something to be learned.

On 6/26/2018 at 3:33 PM, Hotzn said:

Ah, interesting. I went to school in Norfolk in the late 80s of... well, of the past century, if you so will... and indeed do dimly remember the word "fag" for a cigarette. But not for a bundle of sticks. There is always something to be learned.

The bundle of sticks reference is ancient by modern standards so I doubt anyone would use it in a 'modern' discussion.  

Archived