About Sprains and Painkillers

RossBondReturns

I love the sprain animations (including those in Test Branch), but a few things have always bugged me about Sprains and Painkillers.

And doggone it most people just circumvent the dangers of having a sprained ankle in the wilderness and the even better animations (I've had a twisted knee coming down from the Summit of Mt. Mc Cloughlin in Orgeon) by popping painkillers.

And magically the badly sprained ankle is immediately healed! Even worse is that the natural remedy consumed via the prepared tea, works just as fast and just as well. Shouldn't the tea take a whole lot longer to be diffused through the body as needed?

What I would prefer is for the Painkiller to at the most- take the edge off the pain. So you're still hobbled but not as badly. So perhaps the limp animations aren't as noticeable after you take the painkiller. Perhaps you can use your rifle but you'll have more sway until your sprain is healed.

So how is your sprain healed then?

By the 10 hours of rest.

So the painkillers take the edge off the pain of the wrist or ankle injury- but only the overnight sleep heals it.

Maybe sometime further down the line there can be a difference between the speed of the Pills vs the Tea.

Just my 2 cents.

• Upvote 4
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

+1 but also consider the option for a Custom setting on this.  I know some people complain of the 'Glass Ankles" so this would severely impact that...segue into...oh, what happens if you have multiple sprains?

It sucks in real life let me tell you...and might be a killer in the wild.

• 2 months later...
On 3/14/2018 at 1:49 PM, RossBondReturns said:

What I would prefer is for the Painkiller to at the most- take the edge off the pain. So you're still hobbled but not as badly. So perhaps the limp animations aren't as noticeable after you take the painkiller. Perhaps you can use your rifle but you'll have more sway until your sprain is healed.

So how is your sprain healed then?

By the 10 hours of rest.

I've been thinking along these lines as well since I've been playing. it bugs me in games and even in real life most people assume painkillers "cure" an ailment which they actually don't at all. they merely hide the symptoms..

The solution I imagine would be that the only thing that can cure sprains and other injuries is time and/or rest. the painkillers and teas could be taken to temporarily bypass the negative effects (limping, not being able to climb, hold a weapon etc) for however long the duration of the painkillers last (4 to 6 hours) I imagine in the UI the red effect for the injury would turn yellow or something showing you that its still there, but not affecting you. or perhaps instead the painkiller would show up as its own affect instead, in green or some positive color stating that its negating penalties for the duration.

an example scenario I imagine is you're planning to make a long trek a couple maps over and unfortunately you get a sprain right at the beginning of your trip. now you have to make a call. do you delay your trip while you rest and heal? or do you continue marching on, popping pills to stave off the pain long enough to arrive at your destination.

for me I'd find this mechanic a long more immersive and interesting. I'm not super fond of how currently the game tries to throw adversity at you, and you just pull an "ace" out of your pill bottle and say "no you don't"

I'd also like to see some more variety in ongoing injury effects. it seems right now if your'e bruised it doesn't really mean anything. maybe bruising or scrapes would carry a more general "pain" effect that would lessen your focus, affecting your ability to aim, slightly increasing the time it takes to craft, lowering your chances of success on all activities etc. if its a head injury they could have visual and audio effects similar to when you're near death. slightly blurred vision, ringing in your ears.

I could go on, but hopefully you get the gist.

ps: this is my first time posting, but I'm 100 or so hours into this game now and absolutely love it. definitely the best survival game I've played to date.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2018 at 11:54 AM, Fuarian said:

Sprains need to be much rarer but also much more deadly. 

Yes to this. Our survivor seems to just be learning how to walk or something. Constant sprains from walking around in easier terrain than what I do all the time in real life. I've never sprained my wrist or ankle, yet somehow this person does multiple times a day. I did sprain my thumb once while skiing though and I can tell you I could not grip anything. Painkillers may take away the pain but it doesn't repair the damage. It took me weeks to get better.

• 1 year later...