shade_grey

@Celeblith posted a topic here in the wish list section proposing the implementation of indoor fires due to the fact that lighting fires outside isn't always possible due to wind.

In my opinion being able to build an indoor fire would be quite overpowered; however, I do tend to agree with him that making an outdoor fire in windy conditions is a pain in the sphincter, but what I'm proposing is a bit less overpowered, fire pits. Still overpowered... well hear me out. Now I'm aware that @Mobscene proposed the implementation of fire pits in a thread talking about uses for stones, but here I want to discuss the implementation of fire pits specifically.

Now I know many TLD players, especially the more experienced ones, don't think that we need fire pits and I, myself fall into that category. But at the same time, before the re-implementation of snow shelters I didn't think that we really needed them. Now I use them a lot when playing interloper. My suggestion for making fire pits not/less overpowered would be to make them like how snow shelters are implemented. They would require maintenance. Building them would require 20-30 stones and keeping them going would require 1-3 stones per day. They would lose about 10% condition per day and once the condition goes below 50%, any change in wind direction would set the timer of the currently lit fire to 10 minutes.

Still overpowered? Add another item to the crafting requirements. Metal, animal hide, wood, saplings... Thoughts? Suggestions?

AH. You know, that's the mechanic that's been missing. I've often suggested the fire pit, not because it's needed, but for something to DO with all those god damn stones everywhere. Now, if it slowly decays over time and you need to keep adding new stones to maintain it... yes. That works very nicely. If the Snow shelter is an acceptable game mechanic, then the fire pit that degrades over time requiring 1 stone to recover 10% functionality is perfect. With the firepit requiring 20 stones to begin, and if it reaches 0%, can be reclaimed for 10 stones. What happens to the stones that are "ruined"? The heat causes them to crack. Don't think about it too hard. it's just a video game.

1 hour ago, Celeblith said:

Fair, but I have one question: what about locations that already have indoor fire receptacles, like fireplaces and wood stoves?

Some buildings have indoor fire receptacles, others don't. There are reasons for this.

The houses on the two islands in CH don't have indoor fire receptacles. None of the small cabins on the far end of Mystery Lake have fire receptacles in them. This is deliberate.

@shade_grey Understandable. I can definitely see your point of view. It could be rather game-breaking to be able to set up a fire anywhere, anytime.

I mentioned this before, but I think it's worth bringing up again: two options that might limit the OP-ness of craftable, indoor fireplaces include high craft-times and resource requirements, and, alternatively (or in addition), portable stoves that use lamp oil or something to function. 

I like the former idea because it offers long-term customizability for permanent (or semi-permanent bases) at the expense of time and resources (you can't just do it on a whim--if you're building an indoor fireplace, you plan to stay a while!).

I like the latter because it comes with its own restrictions. Limited fuel and fuel availability would mean you wouldn't be able to use your stove very much or even very often. Good if you need to boil that one half liter of water that's the difference between life or death, or for cooking up that stray rabbit you chanced upon before a gnarly blizzard trapped you in a resource-deprived cave--the one time you didn't bother to pick up a few sticks, just in case! The stove would also be a pretty rare accessory, and might come at the cost of some precious inventory space (I'm not sure how large they usually are, but I wouldn't be surprised if it fell in the ballpark of 2.00 kg, a hefty piece on any excursion). 

If you couldn't tell, I like the stove idea better than the fireplace one, and I think you make a strong case against the latter. That's not to mention that there are several decent permanent-base-type structures already scattered (albeit sparsely) across the game world. Still, it'd be neat to be able to set up a permanent base near a valuable resource without the introduction of game-breaking and often ridiculous base-building. 

19 hours ago, Celeblith said:

If you couldn't tell, I like the stove idea better than the fireplace one, and I think you make a strong case against the latter. That's not to mention that there are several decent permanent-base-type structures already scattered (albeit sparsely) across the game world. Still, it'd be neat to be able to set up a permanent base near a valuable resource without the introduction of game-breaking and often ridiculous base-building. 

That's what caves are for. Caves can get very cold indeed, but you can build fires in them, and you are protected from the wind. The way to tell the good cave is to drop a fresh hide and see if it starts to cure. If it does, it's a good place to camp out.

10 minutes ago, stratvox said:

That's what caves are for. Caves can get very cold indeed, but you can build fires in them, and you are protected from the wind. The way to tell the good cave is to drop a fresh hide and see if it starts to cure. If it does, it's a good place to camp out.

My only problem with caves is the usual lack of storage.  If they ever let us pick up and relocate backpacks, boxes, coolers, and other containers, I'd be perfectly content in a cave.

2 hours ago, stratvox said:

I only have this to say: # of caves < # of houses

Ever read My Side of the Mountain? Kid made his house in a tree, and he wouldn't have been able to do it if he hadn't dedicated a large amount of time and resources to building a rudimentary clay chimney (a major reason fires can't be built on a whim indoors is because of suffocating smoke).

9 minutes ago, stratvox said:

That's not the point I'm trying to make. Sometimes the cave is what's right next to the resource you're working on... then the cave is good.

I agree. Yet another reason base-building would be not only unnecessary but also game-breaking, gratuitous fan-service (if you can even call it that, as from what I've seen fans have little interest in such Fortnite-esque, Fallout-ish nonsense).

Archived