More Crafting...Rabbit Hide Hat/Socks/Earmuffs. Snow Shoes......

Blindefender

I have a ton of soft Rabbit Hide laying around. Would love to make a hat, some earmuffs or even some socks with them.

Deer Hide shirts could be warm and comfortable.

How about using some Rabbit Hide and sticks to make Snow Shoes that would tie onto your boots for a speed increase when traversing slopes?

I could really use a Deer Hide sling to hold my rifle; This could make that heavy weapon much easier to carry, maybe make it weigh less if using the sling.

Hold right there, mate. First of all, I doubt your average person would be capable of fashioning everything out of the hide, leather is rather tough material to work with. Additionally, wearing leather goods that are directly on your skin? Generally not a good idea. Causes skin conditions and sores.

But that is not that big of a point, what is more important is game balance. We dont want to see "everything" have a craftable piece of clothing in the game. Would make temperature maintenance in a long games easy. Nah, what we want is to have at least 1 craftable piece for all sorts of "major" body parts - hands, feet, head, chest and trousers. We already have clothes for everything save the headpiece. So yes, Rabbit hat would be great, and if you searched around, you would see that this is one of the most requested items by the community. 

But socks and t-shirts? No. The game shouldnt have every set of craftable piece of clothing, there would be no challenge in that as most people will have stockpiles of leather materials sooner or later. 

By sling I hope you mean only a strap, to carry the rifle. Because sling is actually a weapon of it own, one of the most primitive, and very deadly (but hard to use, arguably one of the most imbalanced weapon suggestions ever made). And I really dont see why this needs to be in the game. In order to even carry the rifle, you must already have some sort of strapping on it to begin with, its just not portraited by the game, I reccon. I see no reason why it should make the rifle lighter, one of the downsides to rifle is that it is heavy to carry around. I dont necessarily want to see that changed because weight is one of the reasons why bows are far superior to rifles.

In an extended survival scenario, it only makes sense that a stockpile of furs/leather would accumulate.  With such a stockpile, and the resulting time available post-establishment phase, it only makes sense that a person would experiment and find ways to craft thing out of said stockpile.  Thus, this suggestion makes sense.

If that's the case, the only thing left to talk about is game balance.  It would be difficult to reasonably discuss how this suggestion would impact game balance due to the fact that we have no idea what the developers are planning for the short/long term future.

Mroz4k, with all due respect I think you're limiting your though process to what's available now, in game and how it would be impacted by various suggestions.  Instead of trying to shoot ideas down and explain why they'll never work, try thinking about how they might work, or be made to work if other aspects of the game were altered.  This is a very good game, but it could be better.  With balanced maintained, the more complex, in-depth, and engaging the game, the better.

I'm all for this suggestion.

With all due respect, your viewpoint of trying to "make everything work" is a major problem in the first place. You are so affraid of sounding negative that you would nod everything out. 

Part of a constructive criticism is to argument why some things dont make sense. To transfer it onto a thought process method others might be familiar, the 6 thinking hats, I would be the black hat, followed by white hat. Putting out all the negatives of suggestion, finding out why it CANT work. White one goes for cold, hard facts. What you suggest is yellow hat. And while you might not realize it, I consider that one too. Its just a matter of finding "how to make it work". Which, in this case, due to the game balance, it cant.

Besides, you purposedfully avoided the whole point about it, being unrealistic. You tell me, why dont we have leather t-shirts now? Even though they would be arguably warmer then, lets say, a cotton one.

For several reasons, actually - t-shirt is a lower layer kind of clothing. You wear it on your skin. Leather and hides on direct skin cause skin irritation. Look it up. Which is why the mankind since long before Christ wore cloth-based clothing on their skin, BELOW the skin ones. Only exceptions were clothes that actually had some kind of body "insulation" under them - like crotch areas, or hair on your head. But othervise, all leather clothes would have some kind of clothing material on the inside to remove the irritation.

So if you want to suck it up and praise every single suggestion you want, go ahead, but dont call me out like that, expecting me to follow you in your folly. You provided nothing of worth to the suggestion, no arguments, just some vague speech about how this game could be better. Never bothering to explain why. 

And then you are going to hide behind logical fallacies. 

(funny thing is, you COULD make a valid, usable "inner layer clothes" using the hides out of, lets say, a rabbit. But I am not going to tell you how, I want you to figure it out. HOW. For two reasons - to teach you how to properly make a "valid" point, and to prove than an ordinary person like yourself would actually think of something like this if the need arose. If you can do it, maybe we can talk more. Probably not, still the issue of game balance and all... but at least you would make a valid claim.

On 12/20/2017 at 12:33 AM, Blindefender said:

I could really use a Deer Hide sling to hold my rifle; This could make that heavy weapon much easier to carry, maybe make it weigh less if using the sling.

I like this idea.  You could make it take longer to equip the rifle as a trade-off.  It wouldn't be as useful for dealing with a sudden wolf attack, but would make long-distance trips a little easier.

I don't think you can make serviceable snow shoes out of rabbit skin and probably not socks either, because as anyone who has ever field dressed a rabbit knows, rabbit skin is delicate and tears very easily, so it is not a good material for bindings, or things that are subjected to a lot of friction. I do agree that they should have a craftable hat though, preferable a rabbit lined ushanka/aviator cap. This has been suggested so many times in the forums, I am fairly surprised it's gone ignored.

@Mroz4k Please share your comments on a particular idea or concept without commenting on the "worthiness" of other players' suggestions. These kinds of personal comments on the thought processes and interests of your fellow forum members is not welcome or helpful in any way. If your only goal is argument for argument's sake in this thread, please take a step back. Thank you. 

It has always seemed like it would be a fairly natural addition to the game except that..

In my current game I have survived a dozen wolf struggles, one moose attack and one bear attack. Most times my headgear has been hammered and in one case destroyed. I know that when I hunt or am surprised by these animals there is a chance of losing my head warmer/s which at the moment are finite items.

Sooner or later I will have none left - sometime after that I will get frostbite and the difficulty of the game will increase. I'm ok with that.

I think that if headgear was an infinite resource there would be one less reason to feel concern when tackling the dangerous animals in this game.

However, the thoughtful addition of new craftable items in a way, as suggested by @Sunwolf, that maintains balance while increasing complexity and depth would be great. Not an easy task though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"Sling" is the correct term for a strap attached to a rifle, shotgun, submachinegun, machinegun, satchel, walking stick, what-have-you. Frankly, if I was in the bush and had extra deer hides around, I would most assuredly craft a sling for my rifle. They make carrying more comfortable.

Traditional snowshoes were crafted of wood and rawhide. Deer, wolf, bear, moose.. Any of those would work. Would they be a big gamechanger? No, I don't think they would since there are no deep snow areas in the game. Would they make climbing hills easier? Nope. Harder, without some form of ascenders/crampons.

• 1 month later...

While showshoes or slings sound like a good idea.  Most people have no idea how to actually use them.  As stated by ThudYeo, there is no truly deep snow for the snowshoes to be useful.  Beyond that using them in shallow or light snow is a far greater detriment for movement, especially if you wanted to sprint.

Thou most people only think of slings for carrying a weapon.  It is extremely useful for aiming, especially reducing sway.  That being said, I believe, it would make the rifle far too powerful.

with practice, anyone can learn to use a sling as a weapon so long as you've got one working arm. 

As for leather clothing against bare skin, I imagine in some cases a survivor would either know in advance or be able to figure out how to make hide comfortable to wear like that. Note: hide, not leather. For instance, brains are used to tan hides. In any case, humans have worn hide clothes before (before cloth textiles were even a thing) and they can do it again. Time and need are two very motivating factors in figuring out how to do things. And if one has as many damn hides as I do end-game... yeah. Though I have no idea if correct treatment of hide prevents skin irritation. It'd be so damn dry in Snowpocalypse you'd have sore, itchy, cracked skin anyway... unless you rub animal fat on yourself, I guess. Maybe.

Archived