Surprises in Survival.

AlexandraRussia

Hello, in the game during the storms it's only cold and you can not see anything right? And what if you still add a very strong wind there and he tipped the tree straight to the house and had to repair it, or on the foot of the Main Hero, and  it had to be treated, and there was not a dislocation there but a real fracture, because if I'm not mistaken when it traumatizes an arm or leg, there is a crunch, this is clearly a fracture and not a dislocation.

I'm all for surprises in Survival mode. Maybe it could be an option. It would be an interesting concept to have random events in survival mode which would constitute some kind of story - generic to a certain point, but still. A bit like in Rimworld. Although I'm not sure it should be the destruction of a shelter.

I'm also in favour of rarer but longer-lasting injuries. Breaking an arm or a leg would likely be a death sentence in the given survival scenario, but if for example a twisted ankle would need longer treatment with less walking, this could be a nice challenge. And if it happens rarely, it would be something like a story element in a survival run.

well you can already twist your ankle by walking on sloped terrain but I would like if you could make a splint to speed up the healing and/or increase/decrease your walking speed. At the same time, they could add like a support sock that you can wear instead of the makeshift splint that's lighter and that one might not slow you down but have almost the same healing speed (maybe 30% faster than the makeshift splint).

5 hours ago, Hotzn said:

I'm all for surprises in Survival mode. Maybe it could be an option. It would be an interesting concept to have random events in survival mode which would constitute some kind of story - generic to a certain point, but still. A bit like in Rimworld. Although I'm not sure it should be the destruction of a shelter.

I'm also in favour of rarer but longer-lasting injuries. Breaking an arm or a leg would likely be a death sentence in the given survival scenario, but if for example a twisted ankle would need longer treatment with less walking, this could be a nice challenge. And if it happens rarely, it would be something like a story element in a survival run.

back in the old days of the game you couldn't use painkillers and you needed a splint and had to wait 10 hours to heal. Without the splint it wouldn't heal.

As soon as collectible firewood came in and respawn rates were associated with blizzards I started agitating for having actual branches being flung around in blizzards and potentially trees collapsing. 

Not sure I'd want shelters getting ruined without the option to repair them, but that would be a pretty epic addition to the game. 

6 minutes ago, LucidFugue said:

As soon as collectible firewood came in and respawn rates were associated with blizzards I started agitating for having actual branches being flung around in blizzards and potentially trees collapsing. 

Not sure I'd want shelters getting ruined without the option to repair them, but that would be a pretty epic addition to the game. 

With the snow blizzard blinding you I doubt you would see a branch flying around only feel them therefore that seems pointless as a visual.

Pretty sure you clothes and health go down quickly in a blizzard anyways. Maybe a tree falling down could cause sudden death or huge health hit. Trees should fall at random anytime but yes more in blizzards.

I know blizzards are already nasty enough in gameplay terms. I'm not looking for ways to kill players. It's mostly that you can hear all these wonderful audio cues, rattling, shaking... but nothing actually happens during a blizzard beyond the temperature and visibility dropping. The world underneath the vision obscuring fog is the same.

It's a niche thing and likely requires more development than it really pays for in experience. But I just feel like there needs to be a little something extra to give blizzards impact. It feels weird that most interactable items are dead still even though everything else is trying to communicate the extreme forces of nature at play.

2 minutes ago, LucidFugue said:

I know blizzards are already nasty enough in gameplay terms. I'm not looking for ways to kill players. It's mostly that you can hear all these wonderful audio cues, rattling, shaking... but nothing actually happens during a blizzard beyond the temperature and visibility dropping. The world underneath the vision obscuring fog is the same.

I'm with you there.. I like your suggestions in your first post above.

3 hours ago, JAFO said:

Random "bang! - you're dead!" events in games are widely (and rightly) regarded as a Bad ThingTM.

In a game with permadeath, that goes double.

Definitely.  But say we have trees that fall – but don't actually hit the player, just come close, make a big noise, scare the #%&* out of you?  That might be a nice effect.

3 hours ago, Prestermatt said:

Definitely.  But say we have trees that fall – but don't actually hit the player, just come close, make a big noise, scare the #%&* out of you?  That might be a nice effect.

Yup.. that would be cool as hell. :D

wait.. that doesn't sound right...

ah, whatever.. you know what I mean.

8 hours ago, JAFO said:

Random "bang! - you're dead!" events in games are widely (and rightly) regarded as a Bad ThingTM.

A Random Bang you're dead sounds like Dayz if you walk up a set of stairs

On 11/15/2017 at 10:19 AM, JAFO said:

But that's the risk involved running through a forest with a howling blizzard yes?

also it might be more exciting seeing a tree fall within death defining metres of you? thinking to yourself lucky this time maybe not next. So yeah the chances of impact would have to be pretty small.

Im all for trees falling, but not on me, id be distraught if a tree fell on me and instantly killed me on a 200 day run. 

Falling trees would add a nice spookiness factor in the game, Ive experienced one before irl while biking, it is an absolutely terrifying sound to hear when youre off-guard and dont know the source. 

A broken limb would be a death sentence out there but varying strengths of sprains that require more than just pills would be a *step* in the right direction.

Archived