Oh my Gosh, I feel guilty!!!

cowboymrh

I just went into Steam to see how many hours I've played "The Long Dark".  I was stunned to find out that I've played 1628 hours!!!  If you break that down by what I paid for the game which I believe was $19.95, that means I've paid 1.25 pennies per hour for this game I just love!!!  I feel guilty for all this fun I've had for so little investment!

Just think of the times we've all gone to the movies and paid $25.00 for 2 tickets, $5.00 for a soda, and $7.00 for buttered popcorn!!!  That's $37.00 for a 2 hour movie that might be good, or might be crap!! But it's still over $18.00 per hour!!! And I've been playing the Long Dark for almost three years for 1 1/4 pennies per hour!!!

I just started the "story mode" today. Yes, I was here when the story mode came out, but deliberately waited until I had a whole day to play the story mode without interruption, and today was the day.

I have to say that so far, I am totally pleased with what Hinterlands has presented us!! Those of you who are not pleased or who wished there was more...... no disrespect to you, but I think you folks are just "hard to please" in general!

I've been playing from 10AM pacific time until 3PM, am now in the town of Milton and exploring the homes, and trying to complete the firewood mission for Grey Lady.

I need to break for dinner now, but will continue later this evening after the wife goes to bed. But so far, I have absolutely no complaints!

Great Job Hinterlands!!!!

I will continue in the next few hours!!

If you wish to invest more in the game theres always the dlc soundtrack ;).

One particular song in survival mode always gives me goosebumps. Ill probably buy it once i get a steady income back. Ive been having to manage money between replacing a broken laptop i need for my projects, college tuition, etc. etc.

Or to curb your guilt you could invest in a t-shirt or mug! I like the mug better but i dont really drink coffee unless Im climbing Timberwolf Mountain, haha. 

On 9/18/2017 at 8:55 AM, cowboymrh said:

I have to say that so far, I am totally pleased with what Hinterlands has presented us!! Those of you who are not pleased or who wished there was more...... no disrespect to you, but I think you folks are just "hard to please" in general!

Whilst in part I agree with you, believe me, by not playing Story Mode until now, you've dodged one hell of a lot of bugs.. some just really annoying, and some bordering on game-breaking. As we've recently learned, much of this was not due to any failing on Hinterland's part, but to the combination of some seriously bad luck and time constraints. Be that as it may, the past 6 - 7 weeks since the official release have been extremely painful for all concerned.. both players and developers. Be glad you've missed it all.

On 9/18/2017 at 0:55 AM, cowboymrh said:

Just think of the times we've all gone to the movies and paid $25.00 for 2 tickets, $5.00 for a soda, and $7.00 for buttered popcorn!!! 

I would sooner shoot myself in the head then pay 37 USD in total for a movie for two. A ticket for me costs about 3 USD, and I wouldnt spend money on the ridiculously expensive food in cinema, I would rather sneak in my own. Not all of us are Americans, and even a 10 USD is rather lot of money for someone who has a pay of 2-3USD an hour... and I am living off pretty well, in a central Europe... lets mention people from Ukraine, who have the average pay (if they can get a job at all) of 80 USD a month.
But yea, considering I have easily played +1000h on TLD, a game I bought for like 10-12 USD or so, it was an incredibly great purchase. Easily the best game I have ever played by far. 
If I ever get into a better financial position, I will get some of that sweet, sweet merch from Hinterland to support them further.

I am reminded of Sean Poole, once of Funhaus (and Inside Gaming before that), and his show 1 Dollar 1 Hour.  It was a quest to find games for the guys and see how long it kept them engaged, and if they got their money's worth.

I doubt they would stay in TLD for long, but Funhaus has surprised me many times.

@Mroz4k

On 9/21/2017 at 1:05 PM, Mroz4k said:

Not all of us are Americans,

I dont know what the living conditions are like in Ukraine so I wouldnt be so bold to say we're better or worse off, just that by all means every American is not rich. Higher salary doesnt necessarily translate to being more wealthy when our costs may also be higher.

Again, I'm not saying we're better or worse off than you or anything. No conflict intended. In fact, if you wanna tell me more about Central Europe, Id be glad to listen on PM! Same with any of those Canadians out there, its interesting to see how different life is outside ones country.

The game was 20 USD in alpha when i paid for it I belive, a little over the price of eating one meal in-town. And its entertained me for 400 hours versus only 2 that a movie at the theatre would at a higher expense. The long dark was definitely a great buy in my honest opinion.

And yeah those movie tickets are rediculous, Ive maybe watched 3 movies the past 2 years and all of them I was just tagging along with a friend and didnt have to pay for it, haha.

22 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

@Mroz4k

-snip-

I have a first-hand experience with life in the States. I know not everyone is wealthy, some people can't even find a job. What I was talking about is general life comfort, which is a lot higher than in Ukraine, where (like I said) is impossible to find a job and even if they do, it's like 2000 CZK a month, which translates to maybe 80-100 USD a month based on the current exchange rates. It is so bad, that girl with full-on university degree in psychology works manual labour here in CZ, slaving for 85 hours a week (that's 5 times a 16-hour shift + some extra hours on Saturday) to get something below minimum wage after their agency robs them of much of their pay. I have the same exact experience, working a summer in US.

The US only has incredibly expensive services. That's typical for high-end countries, Germany is the same. We are slowly getting there too because our economy is being boosted. That's why the cinema tickets are so bad, or even the food in a restaurant - it should be perceived pretty strange that you can pay 20 USD for a streak in the restaurant but buy a raw steak yourself for 3USD. I know, the difference in quality... but is there one? Much of it is just an increase because by getting that money in a restaurant, you are paying for a service.

My point was that games, which are seen as generally cheap entertainment by Americans, are at the same time considered very expensive by others because the prices are the same for everyone. So people with a much higher level of living perceive 20 USD as a change, while for others, its a quarter of their month´s pay. 

I used to make about 14 000 CZK clean salary. And even if I live for free atm, 20 USD would be a lot of money for me to spend for a game, only. I would probably still do it for TLD, but it should be noted that just because some people have high salaries think of 20 as very little money to pay, for others it could be the unreachable sum.

I will leave it at that. It just somewhat pissed me off that this thread assumes that 37 USD is something most people spend per single evening. In the US I worked below minimum wage (agencies syphoned our money) so even then, that would be my entire days pay. For some 3rd world countries, it would be their month´s pay several times over, easily. Only people on the life-comfort level of US or Germany can afford to spend 37 USD per evening.

On 9/17/2017 at 11:45 PM, MarrowStone said:

If you wish to invest more in the game theres always the dlc soundtrack ;).

One particular song in survival mode always gives me goosebumps. Ill probably buy it once i get a steady income back. Ive been having to manage money between replacing a broken laptop i need for my projects, college tuition, etc. etc.

Or to curb your guilt you could invest in a t-shirt or mug! I like the mug better but i dont really drink coffee unless Im climbing Timberwolf Mountain, haha. 

You could drink a good many things in such a mug... Tea, Juice, Milk, etc. A mug is just a sturdier cup with a handle. I'm thinking of getting it myself.

On 10/1/2017 at 11:23 AM, Ape88 said:

You could drink a good many things in such a mug... Tea, Juice, Milk, etc. A mug is just a sturdier cup with a handle. I'm thinking of getting it myself.

Haha, yes but in TLD, that cup is specifically for Coffee! Dont want cause any lifebreaking glitches by not following their model! ;)

7 hours ago, JAFO said:

I have two.. so one gets used for coffee (right now, in fact!), and the other gets used as a beer mug.

Are they microwave safe? They look like they're metal with that ceramic covering on them but one never knows. And I live in a 5th wheel so sometimes the microwave is the best bet for warming something up.

13 hours ago, Ape88 said:

Are they microwave safe? They look like they're metal with that ceramic covering on them

Mine are pure ceramic.. but I have the old ones, from before they changed the logo.. I've just checked the store, and it looks like all they sell now are the enamelled steel mugs.. and they only hold 350ml, too. Bummer. No.. the current mugs in the store would definitely NOT be microwave safe.

This is what mine looks like.

259bb92be89cfbd8be28a58e8794079d.jpg.f23d8901e24f06a50241b42d18cdd73f.jpg

Fortunately for me I paid nothing for the game - it was birthday present (hurrah!); but yep, couldn't agree more about value for money, when you consider the price of some games that promise so much but you end up coasting through them in 30hrs.

8 hours ago, JAFO said:

Mine are pure ceramic.. but I have the old ones, from before they changed the logo.. I've just checked the store, and it looks like all they sell now are the enamelled steel mugs.. and they only hold 350ml, too. Bummer. No.. the current mugs in the store would definitely NOT be microwave safe.

I love the new enamel mugs, they look just like the in-game ones - very cool merchandising.... pour 350ml in the cup, 25ml on the floor for all those characters who bit the dust in-game. :D  (fyi, nice photo)

Plus, who's got a microwave in their backpack? :P 

Personally, that hatchet has somehow made it onto my next birthday list... the problem is that I actually need a new hatchet, and there's no way I'd bespoil my TLD hatchet, so now my wishlist has two hatchets on it. :D 

16 hours ago, selfless said:

Lame.  Strike two, Hinterland.

You may not be able to use them in a microwave... but can put them ontop of a stove - the handles warm up a little, but that's ok when you get used to it. They are the most hardwaring cups designed, I think I've had my 'old' camping mug about twenty years and it's still going strong.  ;)

Archived