comfort items

Simone Else

good sirs and madams, 

some might not agree but i wish for some smokes and beers.  how can there be not one beer in canada of all places.  ?

i would love to sit on my porch on a nice calm night after a big trek and smoke a cigarette and drink a beer.  i know i know they are bad for you and all that but cmon 

I agree, maybe not the smoking part but some alcohol would be nice. Maybe a can of beer as an item. Gives you a bit of thirst and hunger back but makes you a little tired, have too many and you get an affliction; drunk or tipsy. 

Whiskey bottle is another item, maybe even a flask. Same effects as previous but stronger, fills more thirst. 

Vodka or any other type of alcohol. Has the same uses and effects except it can be used to clean wounds. Like antiseptic. Or make torches, like a molotov.

Ya all are laughing, but if that was added, the ratings would have to now also include "alcohol and drugs" as cigarettes and beer fall under those cathegories. Not neccesary, and would actually be bad for the game, to get worse rating.

58 minutes ago, Fuarian said:

I agree, maybe not the smoking part but some alcohol would be nice. Maybe a can of beer as an item. Gives you a bit of thirst and hunger back but makes you a little tired, have too many and you get an affliction; drunk or tipsy. 

Whiskey bottle is another item, maybe even a flask. Same effects as previous but stronger, fills more thirst. 

Vodka or any other type of alcohol. Has the same uses and effects except it can be used to clean wounds. Like antiseptic. Or make torches, like a molotov.

Molotov is not a torch, its an improvised incendiary device. Alcohol dehydrates, so it would actually make you thirstier, but would give some calories, in case of beer, no really in case of Whiskey, just would make you drunk. Which is not a good idea in survival situation.

So I am fairly against all of these, for obvious reasons.

35 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

Ya all are laughing, but if that was added, the ratings would have to now also include "alcohol and drugs" as cigarettes and beer fall under those cathegories. Not neccesary, and would actually be bad for the game, to get worse rating.

Molotov is not a torch, its an improvised incendiary device. Alcohol dehydrates, so it would actually make you thirstier, but would give some calories, in case of beer, no really in case of Whiskey, just would make you drunk. Which is not a good idea in survival situation.

Well I mean a torch LIKE a molotov. Using alcohol and cloth to ignite. And these things wouldn't be to help you survive. They're just items added in. 

10 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

*sigh* 

why so serious man,  it was just a lighthearted attempt at bit of humor and you have to come in and be the fun police. 

10 hours ago, Fuarian said:

Well I mean a torch LIKE a molotov. Using alcohol and cloth to ignite. And these things wouldn't be to help you survive.

If added, it should be possible to accidentally drop it at your feet.. that would almost be kinda cool.. way worse than stepping in a fire.

To re-work the old saying a bit:
"Make a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life..." :fire:

21 minutes ago, Simone Else said:

*sigh* 

why so serious man,  it was just a lighthearted attempt at bit of humor and you have to come in and be the fun police. 

Mroz4k is a bit like that.. tends to take everything very seriously. ;)

You get used to it.

36 minutes ago, Simone Else said:

*sigh* 

For all I knew, you were trying to be funny while trying to give a legitimate suggestion, and I am clearly not the only one around here who thought it was serious idea. Dont expect people to be able to read your thought processes. If you want to joke solely for the sake of joking, this thread may be more for you: I know it says bad suggestions and this is not neccesarily a bad one, but still, people wont take you at all seriously in there. Or, you know, one of the forums that are more focused on non-game discussions, like a misc topic and such.

16 minutes ago, JAFO said:

"Make a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life..." :fire:

Well hello there Mr. Arsonist.

16 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Mroz4k is a bit like that.. tends to take everything very seriously. ;)

You get used to it.

I can have fun too, you know... :D

12 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

Well hello there Mr. Arsonist.

So you would appear to have missed the joke yet again.. ;)

(oh, and I'm an anarchist, not an arsonist.. there's quite a difference)

12 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

If you want to joke solely for the sake of joking, this thread may be more for you:

So now jokes are only permitted in certain threads? I'm so glad we have your wisdom to guide us in such things.

Drink a big can of "chill out", man.. you need it.

I also support this although I understand that it doesn't fall within the aesthetic of the game. Alcohol could work the way it does in the Skyrim mod Frostfall, where it gives you a little boost to stave off hypothermia but actually hurts in the long run, so you could take a sip of whisky to help you get that carcass back to your cabin, but you'll lose heat even faster after half an hour. I'm all for other mind-altering substances with their own effects, pros and cons, but it has little to do with survival so I'm afraid it doesn't fall within the scope of the game. Not unless they added some mechanic of general well being and state of mind to the game, where it might help your character stave off insanity or just enhance your comfort if you could crack open a beer or smoke a pipe on your porch.

But this is all too far fetched because for some people these things don't add to their general feeling of comfort and would be completely inconsequential, so bonuses for being a smoker, drinker or psychonaut would make no sense to them. They'd have to include a wide array of 'hobbies' in order for this to work, and I don't think that's what they have in mind with a gritty survival experience.

sigh... Now you are just pushing me deeper into the hole.

30 minutes ago, JAFO said:

So now jokes are only permitted in certain threads? I'm so glad we have your wisdom to guide us in such things.

Not permitted. I didnt say that. Just more effective, as a joke. You cant expect people to get a joke in a forum that is, in its core, serious, like Survival mode where people discuss seriously wolf struggles, tips and tricks and other such things all the time.
To put it into a different, more drastic example: You can crack a joke on a cancer forum, but dont expect people will take it very well in there, if their conversations are 95% serious. Dont expect people joking back on a serious sub-forum, that was the point.

And as you can see, many people do indeed take it seriously, as a suggestion. If it were posted in, lets say, Misc forum, I would expect people to take it less seriously, more with a joke.

36 minutes ago, JAFO said:

So you would appear to have missed the joke yet again.. ;)

(oh, and I'm an anarchist, not an arsonist.. there's quite a difference)

As if those two excluded each other... I think, honestly, you may have missed my joke this time ^_^ (might be you just think I am incapable of making a joke in the first place, so I am not going to continue this further)

When you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging. (Unless you're making a snow shelter)

I don't see anything wrong with discussing this as a possibility, even if it is far fetched and I don't expect it to ever make it into the game. Just because you're opposed to the suggestion doesn't mean other people can't discuss it. Light(en) up, dude. :D

I dont find it far fetched, in fact I think that cigarettes and beer could make the game more immersive for others, as well as adding items which dont neccesarily contribute to survival, and which can be even "bad to use" in a survival situation just to get a glimpse of that "civilization" back - many people who play TLD are ordinary, not just survival nutjobs like most of us. 

I think it could be a pretty cool way to introduce non survival into the game of survival, on top of that this game has a reputation of punishing one for careless behaviour, so more options to be careless would be cool as well.

I would be lying if I didnt use my imagination in the past, using my "exhausted exhalations" to simulate smoke exhalation, and orange soda imitating beer, just sitting in a porch on Farmstead, watching the wolves play in the snow some distance away.

Just doubt they would ever do it because of the ratings :/ its a shame how much can these things influence games.

Exactly, it would be fun to do a run where you just say 'screw it' and face the apocalypse drinking and smoking all you can before the long dark takes you. Not everyone would face the apocalypse with a strong will to cling to life in a lifeless world and keep themselves in tiptop shape. If they could find a way to make such items enhance your gameplay but be detrimental to your long-term survival it would be really cool.

I think the issue with such items is it would really effect the ratings level of the game? from what I am seeing some are pretty strict.?

Australia's nanny states being one!

Anyway I sure there is a way around some items. Such as Granny is just drinking her best home brew tea or eating her favourite home grown cookies.

17 minutes ago, Prestermatt said:

If there were going to be a serious attempt to introduce this kind of thing, This War of Mine would be a good place to look for examples.  Coffee, cigarettes, and alcohol all interact with the characters' mental state, which is an important part of the game.

yes great game, wonder what sort of game ratings that game has? Adult Plus(ratings)?

I am pretty sure they want The Long Dark to be available to Teens Plus (ratings), which is a great move in the game industry I personally think.

But like I said there are way around such things if done right.  Such as Granny is just drinking her best home brew tea or eating her favourite home grown herb cookies.

22 hours ago, Fuarian said:

I'm not sure alcohol should be filling thirst, unless it somehow filled thirst temporarily.....for like 2 hours, and then you lost TWICE as much thirst as it added briefly.

Alcohol dehydrates you....not rehydrates you...

It does have calories though, like 120-160 per beer on average.

All alcohol technically has calories in it, but it's going to make you MORE thirsty if you drink it...

Cigarettes should cause a negative temporary affliction that lowers your sprint meter by 20%, because it's bad for your lungs....especially if you have Asthma like me....lol....

Archived