Trapper's Cabin vs. Camp Office

Hesha

No worries, most of us get your point. Some people here just like to argue over every little thing. Conflict is the way of humans.

That being said, I also have OCD like I believe I stated already, and I would really like a way to spend time cleaning like someone previously suggested. Like spending time reading a research book, or spending time crafting.

It would be cool if each building had two models....the initial messy model, and the organized model. Each building has a certain number of hours of cleaning required to make it look organized, the number of hours would be based on square footage.

I would clean all my bases....even if it takes a whole 24 hours worth of cleaning to do so....

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

No worries, most of get your point. Some people here just like to argue over every little thing. Conflict is the way of humans.

That being said, I also have OCD like I believe I stated already, and I would really like a way to spend time cleaning like someone previously suggested. Like spending time reading a research book, or spending time crafting.

It would be cool if each building had two models....the initial messy model, and the organized model. Each building has a certain number of hours of cleaning required to make it look organized, the number of hours would be based on square footage.

I would clean all my bases....even if it takes a whole 24 hours worth of cleaning to do so....

Yes. That would appeal to me as well. While recognizing the importance of showing what a post-apocalyptic area would appear as, being given the opportunity to bring some sense of order would be a comfort to some as myself. Also, though it sounds trivial perhaps to some, each of those objects represent a moment in time. When one purchased those items on that receipt they did so with the full expectation that they would be using them. The papers represent on ongoing dialogue of sorts with the expectation that there would always be that next issue. It's like with historical places that allow one to touch. Down through the ages, whether purposely or incidentally, how many hands have touched that very same spot? Whose were they? What were they going through/thinking? It's a connection thing as well I believe. Almost makes you want to scrapbook them in a sense just out of honour and respect for whoever they belonged to previously. They had meaning in a sense if not the receipt, for instance, itself, but for the intent and hope behind it. There was always tomorrow, and tomorrow never came.

8 hours ago, CitrinePeridot said:

The papers represent on ongoing dialogue of sorts...

Could be an interesting way to add some story plot into the survival game: when you "clean", you start to piece together a story from the things left behind, which could be presented as smaller or larger snippets in a journal, like the random notes we find now.  It would be like searching a drawer and finding beef jerky or dress shirts, except you're finding knowledge, clues, and memories.

On 9/3/2017 at 7:17 AM, Hackfleisch said:

Yesterday I was just outside Trapper's Cabin stalking some deer, and I kept hearing this strange cracking sound. Never heard it before, it sounded like branches breaking or falling off trees, and it kinda echoed. The weather was clear so it wasn't the wind, I looked around expecting to see something, the sound seemed too loud for just a random ambient noise, though I guess it could've been. Or was it Bigfoot? Maybe he destroyed the old lookout. It's called Mystery Lake for a reason...

It's definitely one of those "Trapper's Cabin" things.. it's the only location it happens. But it's pretty much a given when you're outdoors there. I've never been able to figure out what it is either.

2 minutes ago, JAFO said:

It's definitely one of those "Trapper's Cabin" things.. it's the only location it happens. But it's pretty much a given when you're outdoors there. I've never been able to figure out what it is either.

I couldn't swear by it, but to me it seems like these loud cracking noises are heard mostly in the morning. I think it sounds like cracking ice, after all in the little valley beneath the cabin there is some sort of pond or such (as you can tell be the reed growing their)...

4 hours ago, Hesha said:

I couldn't swear by it, but to me it seems like these loud cracking noises are heard mostly in the morning. I think it sounds like cracking ice, after all in the little valley beneath the cabin there is some sort of pond or such (as you can tell be the reed growing their)...

I kinda thought that too, but the sound really seemed to be coming from around me (I was standing in the valley). It seemed to come from the hills towards Max's Last Stand, and from behind the cabin. Maybe it's intended as a glacier sound, since it's the border of the map.

1 minute ago, Hackfleisch said:

I kinda thought that too, but the sound really seemed to be coming from around me (I was standing in the valley). It seemed to come from the hills towards Max's Last Stand, and from behind the cabin. Maybe it's intended as a glacier sound, since it's the border of the map.

Could be. Or maybe it has something to do with the fact that the trapper's cabin is where you enter the map in story mode?

53 minutes ago, Hesha said:

Or maybe it has something to do with the fact that the trapper's cabin is where you enter the map in story mode?

If so, that was some amazing planning.. because those sounds were in the game long before Wintermute.

Hmmm...let's see...what was this topic again? Oh yeah, wether I prefer the Trapper's Cabin or the Camp Office.

I like to use the Camp Office for its access to fishing and things along those lines (pun intended), however I like using the Trapper's Cabin for...well...hunting and trapping.

When at the Trapper's Cabin, I setup a 7 snare 'trap line' which typically gives me meat to spare and I can store it outside the front door safely.

When at the Camp Office, I mainly focus on fishing which supplies plenty of food as well as the lamp oil benefit upon cooking.

So I guess I'm kind of torn between the two and cannot say I have a definite favorite.

Just my 2¢

You know, you're right. I completely got off the whole purpose/subject of this thread. Sorry about that, you guys. Ok. In answer to the original question, I always use the Camp Office myself. I prefer the appearance and the "warmth" of the Trapper's Cabin, but I have my organizing system figured out better in the other. My liking the Trapper's Cabin has more to do with the whole effect of it being more home like. Does that make sense?  :-)  

8 minutes ago, CitrinePeridot said:

My liking the Trapper's Cabin has more to do with the whole effect of it being more home like. Does that make sense?  :-)  

Absolutely yes it makes sense (at least to me)! I love walking towards it in the evening and seeing the glow from the windows...I feel like I'm home from a day in the cold.

40 minutes ago, L² said:

Absolutely yes it makes sense (at least to me)! I love walking towards it in the evening and seeing the glow from the windows...I feel like I'm home from a day in the cold.

Me too.. I love it for the same reasons as you.. plus it's a safe haven.. no wolves wandering past, and only rarely is there a bear nearby. I also like the semi-regular deliveries of venison practically to my doorstep.

2 hours ago, CitrinePeridot said:

My liking the Trapper's Cabin has more to do with the whole effect of it being more home like. Does that make sense?

Trapper's Cabin is my preference as well:

1. It is easier to navigate the cabin in the dark -- I can enter the cabin and easily find my way to the bed, and all the corners of the room where supplies are separately stored. Trying to navigate up the office stairs and around the bend in pitch black can be frustrating

2. It is one open area instead of five -- the office is divided up into five basic sections (entryway, behind the counter under the stairs, behind the counter with the workbench, upstairs hallway, and sleeping area) -- those sections, along with the new mess that you cannot clean up (why can't I pick up the papers off the floor?), make me appreciate the simplicity of the open area of the cabin with storage along the perimeter.

3. The view -- it is elevated above a glen that makes me feel like I have my own little world -- while the Mystery Lake Office has the adjacent, eponymous, sleek lake to the right when exiting the front door, the cabin has a better view just as I exit the building

4. A safe space in a harsh land -- within the glen is a safe space from wolves -- when I rise over a hill and see the cabin from the distance I know I'm safe...when I make my way around a bend and see the office I could still have a wolf on my tail

5. Gun rack -- how cool is it to be able to hang your guns on the wall (wait, does the office have one as well?...I'll have to check) -- it would also be great to be able to hang your bows

6. Far from everything else -- the office's central location is a reminder to me of all the other places I could travel to each time I exit the building -- the cabin's corner location helps me slow down and appreciate the wooded niche and makes each time I travel feel like a journey 

7. The windows glow from the interior at night -- how welcoming is that?

8. More sticks -- more sticks are closer to the cabin than the office -- nuff said

9. More rabbits -- rabbits right behind the cabin and just beyond the barn

10. More deer -- a few deer just chill right outside your door

11.  Feels more like camping -- as someone who enjoys camping and forests, it's enjoyable to leave the cabin and walk through the woods to get anywhere, instead of immediately seeing a human-made structure (railroad, fishing hut, et cetera)

I could go on. The office is great choice as well due to its proximity to fishing, central location, and lots of counter top storage. Also, animal skulls. Even so, it's the cabin in the woods for me.

I completely agree with Wish re: Trapper's. Once you know the area it's pretty safe. The only downside is that fishing isn't nearby, but I'm not big on fishing anyway. It's a bit lacking in container capacity but if you leave heavy stuff on the floor or outside and save the containers for lightweight, numerous items, it's fine. I can cross to the dam without a single wolf encounter in a couple of hours if need be. Also, you get occasional deer and bear visits, so you can kill prey close to home. It's a nice place to call home.

Archived