I'm almost done with this :(

TROY

5 minutes ago, TROY said:

Yes, I do.  It's like taking morphine for a broken leg. It only makes you feel better It doesnt fix the broken bone. AND, its immersion breaking as hell. 

Ok...just trying to help. Continue with your frustrations I guess...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

Ok...just trying to help. Continue with your frustrations I guess...

And thats why I left it in the first place. To me, your solution is not a solution.   Let me illustrate, because this IMMEDIATELY popped into my head when i read your comment. 

I once was complaining to my mother that I couldnt get my sons to take their shoes off when they came in the house, and nothing I did got them to pay attention, or take their shoes off. I had to sweep up dirt and mud EVERY SINGLE DAY when I got home from work and I have a HUGE kitchen/living room, with mud and dirt on it EVERY DAY.  My mothers solution:  she went and bought me a commercial dust mop/broom so it wouldnt take so long to sweep....

Many people would applaud you for being so sly, and finding a great work around to a problem. I am not one of those people. I prefer to solve the root of the problem, and make it go away, than to make the pain of the situation less. 

Just had SIX failures in a row trying to repair a scarf that was at 58%.  With a 70% chance to succeed, and fully freshly rested.  After 3 failures in a row before a successful repair on a sweater. Timberwolf Mountain.  Cloth is not abundant. Bottom line: scarf remains unrepaired. 10 cloth gone. 1 successful repair out of 10 attempts. If GOD appeared in my face and told me theres nothing wrong with the RNG in this game I'd call him a liar. 

2 minutes ago, TROY said:

Just had SIX failures in a row trying to repair a scarf that was at 58%.  With a 70% chance to succeed, and fully freshly rested.  After 3 failures in a row before a successful repair on a sweater. Timberwolf Mountain.  Cloth is not abundant. Bottom line: scarf remains unrepaired. 10 cloth gone. 1 successful repair out of 10 attempts. If GOD appeared in my face and told me theres nothing wrong with the RNG in this game I'd call him a liar. 

Dude, that sounds like ass. I'd be pissed as well. What system do you play on? I'm not facing any problems like that on Xbox (I just knocked on wood.) There's a chance that you've stumbled on a bug or just a glitched playthrough, because I swear, what's happening to you is not happening to me or my kid's games. Have a beer, yell at the kids for a bit, just get it outta your head for now. I'd offer you what I'm having if I could, honest.

Just now, The Wanderer said:

Dude, that sounds like ass. I'd be pissed as well. What system do you play on? I'm not facing any problems like that on Xbox (I just knocked on wood.) There's a chance that you've stumbled on a bug or just a glitched playthrough, because I swear, what's happening to you is not happening to me or my kid's games. Have a beer, yell at the kids for a bit, just get it outta your head for now. I'd offer you what I'm having if I could, honest.

This has been happening to me since the day I purchased this game almost 3 years ago man.  This is at least the third time I've brought it up here and several more times on the steam forums over the years.  This happens to me ROUTINELY.   At least two or three times with every playthrough. 

Now, I said before I dont normally complain when its early on, and the skills are un-improved from base. I only put it up here now because the topic is being discussed at the moment. I damn near died from hypothermia getting up to the cave and getting that bedroll to harvest for cloth, and all I got from it was a slightly improved light sweater...

10 minutes ago, TROY said:

This has been happening to me since the day I purchased this game almost 3 years ago man.  This is at least the third time I've brought it up here and several more times on the steam forums over the years.  This happens to me ROUTINELY.   At least two or three times with every playthrough. 

Now, I said before I dont normally complain when its early on, and the skills are un-improved from base. I only put it up here now because the topic is being discussed at the moment. I damn near died from hypothermia getting up to the cave and getting that bedroll to harvest for cloth, and all I got from it was a slightly improved light sweater...

When you've brought it up before, what was the general reaction? I mean, were other people saying, "yeah that happens to me as well," or "I dunno what you mean cuz mine works fine?"

When you've brought it up before, what was the general reaction? I mean, were other people saying, "yeah that happens to me as well," or "I dunno what you mean cuz mine works fine?"

Here's the first one:  

5 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

and the second:

6 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

the third: 

8 minutes ago, The Wanderer said:

the fourth: 

and you're participating in the fifth. :)

LOL Sorry! But failing at 100%? I can't even begin to fathom the swearing, no, the vile screams of rage that would be pouring from my mouth! But enough sympathy and more solutions, right? Have you tried just erasing the game and downloading it again? I know it sounds stupid, but things do slip by the checksum on occasion. And I have had success on occasion when I've tried with other games (looking right at YOU BioWare.) If it doesn't work, all it's cost you is a couple of hours of down time and some bandwidth. Just make sure you don't delete your survivor saves. 

4 hours ago, TROY said:

And thats why I left it in the first place. To me, your solution is not a solution.   Let me illustrate, because this IMMEDIATELY popped into my head when i read your comment. 

I once was complaining to my mother that I couldnt get my sons to take their shoes off when they came in the house, and nothing I did got them to pay attention, or take their shoes off. I had to sweep up dirt and mud EVERY SINGLE DAY when I got home from work and I have a HUGE kitchen/living room, with mud and dirt on it EVERY DAY.  My mothers solution:  she went and bought me a commercial dust mop/broom so it wouldnt take so long to sweep....

Many people would applaud you for being so sly, and finding a great work around to a problem. I am not one of those people. I prefer to solve the root of the problem, and make it go away, than to make the pain of the situation less. 

Ok well the way to solve the root of this problem and make it go away is to rewrite the code for the game. Since I don't see you getting access to the game code and changing how they calculate your odds of success, and I don't see the devs doing it either, you may have to use solutions you DO have at your disposal. 

Or you can just keep wanting in one hand, and pooping in the other and see which one fills up first....

1 minute ago, Thrasador said:

Ok well the way to solve the root of this problem and make it go away is to rewrite the code for the game. Since I don't see you getting access to the game code and changing how they calculate your odds of success, and I don't see the devs doing it either, you may have to use solutions you DO have at your disposal. Or you can just keep wanting in one hand, and pooping in the other and see which one fills up first....

Harsh dude! He's frustrated and venting. Don't twist the knife.

Just now, Thrasador said:

Ok well the way to solve the root of this problem and make it go away is to rewrite the code for the game. Since I don't see you getting access to the game code and changing how they calculate your odds of success, and I don't see the devs doing it either, you may have to use solutions you DO have at your disposal. 

Or you can just keep wanting in one hand, and pooping in the other and see which one fills up first....

That's your opinion. You are welcome to it. I'll keep shopping, thanks.

Harsh dude! He's frustrated and venting. Don't twist the knife.

I'm not venting. I'm trying to draw attention to an ongoing problem with the background mechanics in this game that no one seems willing to admit exists. Im soon to celebrate the second anniversary of this attempt. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I'm not letting it go until it finally drives me to delete the game. 

30 minutes ago, TROY said:

I'm not venting. I'm trying to draw attention to an ongoing problem with the background mechanics in this game that no one seems willing to admit exists. Im soon to celebrate the second anniversary of this attempt. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I'm not letting it go until it finally drives me to delete the game. 

We hear you Troy, and I will bring this up with the designers again. But they are well aware of different reactions to the game's chance mechanics. I don't know of any planned changes to them. We've talked about these systems many times in the past two years and I don't have any reason to believe they aren't working as intended. 

But as I said, I will follow up on this. 

Just now, Patrick Carlson said:

We hear you Troy, and I will bring this up with the designers again. But they are well aware of different reactions to the game's chance mechanics. I don't know of any planned changes to them. We've talked about these systems many times in the past two years and I don't have any reason to believe they aren't working as intended. 

But as I said, I will follow up on this. 

You know, I wish I had video footage to support all the examples I've given about this over the last two years. The reason for that wish is because I cannot respect or continue to support a team that INTENDS for the mechanic to work as it does.  I would support a system that penalizes an attempt to do something for negative conditions being experienced by the character. I would understand if the first try of something failed fairly often, regardless of what the percent chance for success is, but to INTENTIONALLY have a system that regularly produces 4 or 5 or 6 failures in a row is downright ignorant.

I guess I won't need to wait anxiously for episode 3. Thanks for the reply.

There are many variables that come into play when mending clothes which I am sure you're aware of and if these are not met, then failure rates will increase. I'm not trying to be condescending at all but you may want to look into how statistics and probability function with said variables; the results are quite counter-intuitive at times.

Keep grinding until those skill levels come up I suppose...and stay away from the coffee.

@TROY To circle back on this topic - I once again checked with support and design, and they don't have any reason to believe the current systems with regard to mending, fire starting etc. aren't working as intended. I know that's not the answer that you are looking for but I wanted to check back in anyway. We hope you are still able to find some enjoyment in the design nonetheless. :coffee:

3 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

@TROY To circle back on this topic - I once again checked with support and design, and they don't have any reason to believe the current systems with regard to mending, fire starting etc. aren't working as intended. I know that's not the answer that you are looking for but I wanted to check back in anyway. We hope you are still able to find some enjoyment in the design nonetheless. :coffee:

Nope, its not what I had hoped to hear. There is no way I can abide by the sanity or decency of anyone who "intends" for a system to regularly produce negative results which should be exceptionally rare. Its just an arbitrary means of adding artificial challenge to the game. I do thank you for the follow-up though.

I have decided to take Thrasadors suggestion and simply save the game before conducting broken RNG functions and reload as many times a required to preserve my resources. I don't like it and to be honest, the incessant reloading that sometimes goes along with that strategy is just as maddening and disruptive to game play as the 5 or 6 failures in a row.  But I take solace in the fact that mentally, it feels like a HUGE double bird in the face's of the twisted excuses for humans who "intend" for the RNG to work the way it does.  Give them all my love, and feed them to wolves. Record it please and post it to youtube so I can enjoy their screams of pain and agony over and over. Thanks. :) 

I just take what the game gives me and survive as long as I can without using any...reloading or things like that. At least then I can feel as if I've beaten the game at its own game.

And yes I've had 6 in a row on easy repairs sometimes. Just played through it.

Annoying yep. Annoying enough to make me stop playing....or save and reload nope.

Because I can survive it.

Unfortunately I have seen RNGesus been both bane and boon to me, the only other RNG heavy game I play is World of Warships and yes it can be frustrating to have a shot that IRL you have someone dead to rights, only to miss in game because RNG arbitrarily says you do. Maybe its time for something more nuanced or granular than RNG for actions like this.

On 9.8.2017 at 4:47 AM, TROY said:

Here's the first one:  

Haha, I was the first to tell you off. :)

Sorry for that. I realize you are really suffering. However, I have sunk over 400 hours into the sandbox and have never experienced anything weird concerning the RNG. Of course, I've been unlucky at times. At other times, I was lucky. All seems right. In general, performing a task with a high success rate will be successful. So this leads me to assume that the game's code is in order, and something might be wrong with your individual PC, setup or installation. Is TLD the only game giving you RNG trouble? Then why not uninstall the game, install again and see how it goes? If you want to preserve your saves during this process, surely you will find some instruction how to do it. 

Archived