One week now and so quiet...

Hotzn

Only one week now till 1st of August. Hinterland is so quiet. Or did I miss something? Didn't they want to "build up" something until release? Expectations, Excitement? I don't know how to feel about this. I am tempted to start a poll what people expect of the release, but the last time I started such a poll, it brought bad luck (it was for "timergate"). So people, what's on your minds?

I don't mind.

The last game whose release I was this hyped for was Rome 2: Total War. That had a huge marketing and PR push behind it, regular developer diaries, previews, videos galore, all creating a massive buzz. And the game turned out to be a huge steaming pile of dog... sick.

So I'm glad if this is the opposite in every way.

7 hours ago, selfless said:

Pencils down.  They can't be working on v1.0 until the last day before release.  Because that's not how releases actually work.  Especially not for XBox.  Or Sony (!).

Day one patches are a thing for XBONE / PS4... release v1.0... immediately patch to 1.01.  I'd be willing to bet they're diligently working on bugs introduced in Faithful Cartographer to get as many as possible stamped out in these day one patches.

Hmmm... so my observation was right. No visible marketing activities from Hinterland, no build-up to 1 August. I've looked through the announcements around "timergate" and www.thelongdark.com again and found the passage I was looking for:

"This is why we've not said much about development over the past months, and why we're taking the next three months to run a campaign as we lead up to full launch."

I had this feeling in the back of my head that I was missing something, and now I realize what it was: that campaign. I would like to think that the development team is so hard at work to get everything ready for release that the (marketing) campaign was simply forgotten. Personally, I would not mind if it were so, because - as @Pillockhas correctly pointed out it is better not to advertise anything at all than to advertise something and then fall short of expectations.

Well, well... Hinterland has me on the tip of my toes, I have to say. Six days now...

4 hours ago, ThunderHawk2387 said:

I wouldn't read to much into the silence from Hinterland Studios.

I'm not.. but, like @Hotzn, I had the nagging feeling that something was missing.. and it was.. the marketing campaign Hinterland had stated they'd be running.

15 hours ago, ThunderHawk2387 said:

I wouldn't read to much into the silence from Hinterland Studios. It's just the calm before the geomagnetic storm. They will deliver. ;)

December 2014: Boy we sure are excited for the coming release, I wonder why we haven't heard form the studio this week... "We have decided not to release the game at this time." 

December 2015: Boy we sure are excited for the coming release, I wonder why we haven't heard from the studio this week...  "We have decided not to release the game at this time." 

April 2016: Boy we sure are excited for the coming release, I wonder why we haven't heard from the studio this week...  "We have decided not to release the game at this time." 

July 2017: Boy we sure are excited for the coming release, I wonder why we haven't heard from the studio this week...  :|

4 minutes ago, selfless said:

December 2014: Boy we sure are excited for the coming release, I wonder why we haven't heard form the studio this week... "We have decided not to release the game at this time." 

December 2015: Boy we sure are excited for the coming release, I wonder why we haven't heard from the studio this week...  "We have decided not to release the game at this time." 

April 2016: Boy we sure are excited for the coming release, I wonder why we haven't heard from the studio this week...  "We have decided not to release the game at this time." 

August 2017: Boy we sure are excited for the coming release, I wonder why we haven't heard from the studio this week...  :|

How can we help you, Selfless?

On 24.7.2017 at 4:32 PM, Pillock said:

I don't mind.

The last game whose release I was this hyped for was Rome 2: Total War. That had a huge marketing and PR push behind it, regular developer diaries, previews, videos galore, all creating a massive buzz. And the game turned out to be a huge steaming pile of dog... sick.

So I'm glad if this is the opposite in every way.

Rome 2 was the biggest letdown ever. 

I would think we are all still on the same team. I did not create this thread to provoke any unfriendly discussion, but because the silence shortly before release is truly puzzling me. Well, I still think Hinterland will deliver on 1st August, I sure wish them success, and I'll be around here whatever happens... :)

3 hours ago, Rusty_Old_F250 said:

It would appear the silence is broken! 

Sam

Indeed, ha! News announcement on Steam on 26 July, new Hinterland Forums on 28 July... I'm kind of relieved, I have to say. Would have been spooky not to hear anything up to 1 August. Well, now I have to explore these new forums a bit...

Archived