New dificulty LVL Mazohist

vancopower

Well I've just played interloper for as long as my nerves could stand but I believe that it is too much to the point that it is not fun anymore. I run the whole DP in half-days game time and I could not find the simplest items like matches, but I managed to find lamp though so I rushed with myself into Costal only to die at wolf attack which  happened in a cave. Wolves are also too sensitive now. How did it notice me ? maybe smelled me ? I'll never know. Also this was my best game yet, I managed to stay alive for 2 days almost :)

Matches should not be so difficult to obtain it is a game beaker at any LVL. Whole DP not a single box is too much. This should be adjusted immediately. And for those who doubt me, Sure I looked everywhere: In the mines, the lighthouse, the warehouse the corpses, cars I left no stone unturned.  On the other hand I liked the RUSH however at least 1 box should be available per map that should be the minimum I think. Else the difficulty LVL is broken 100%. 

P.S. YES I looked at the church too :)

6 hours ago, vancopower said:

Sure I looked everywhere: In the mines, the lighthouse, the warehouse the corpses, cars I left no stone unturned.  On the other hand I liked the RUSH however at least 1 box should be available per map that should be the minimum I think. Else the difficulty LVL is broken 100%. 

Remember that you can also use flares to light a fire (e.g. if you desperately need water) or to travel through mines. I've had two games where I couldn't find a box of matches in DP myself, but in these (rare) cases there always were both a storm lantern and a flare to be found somewhere. And those two items give you the possibility to escape to CH just as well.

Interloper sometimes forces you to think laterally and find an unusual solution to a problem (e.g. to use a flare not to deter wolves, but to melt snow instead), but that's actually something I for one very much enjoy. :winky:

Moved the thread to Feedback btw. as it fits this subforum better imo.

11 minutes ago, Scyzara said:

Remember that you can also use flares to light a fire (e.g. if you desperately need water) or to travel through mines. I've had two games where I couldn't find a box of matches in DP myself, but in these (rare) cases there always were both a storm lantern and a flare to be found somewhere. And those two items give you the possibility to escape to CH just as well.

Interloper sometimes forces you to think laterally and find an unusual solution to a problem (e.g. to use a flare not to deter wolves, but to melt snow instead), but that's actually something I for one very much enjoy. :winky:

Moved the thread to Feedback btw. as it fits this subforum better imo.

OMG You are right! I was so focused on my goal of finding matches that I didn't even considered the flare. Now I can't even remember if I had one. I probably did have at least one.  Scyzara,  as always you are right you motivated me to try out Interloper again. Thanks, People like you are the Pillars of this community. 

You can find a Firestriker and a Magnifying Glass somewhere and there are at least 30 Matches in a game, this ought to be enough I think. I also never failed to find matches in PV (guaranteed spawn) or DP (might be a guaranteed spawn, I always had them there). What's important until you get a mag glass is to keep a fire going for as long as possible once it's lit, more than ever with the thread of Cabin Fever right from the start. Shouldn't be a problem anymore though since we can now use the hacksaw to forage.

Hi, 1st post!

Interloper. Day 59. TWM. Just about to start the trek to the summit.

Trip so far: TWM -> PV -> ML -> CH -> DP -> CH -> PV -> TWM.

I have been at this point before at 44 days but made a stupid mistake so I'm hoping I make it this time. Don't worry - this is probably my 50th attempt. I was playing the test builds for a week and to give you some idea, I lost 36% (or 360 fires) from my firemaster badge when testing finished (all achievements earned in the test builds were wiped).

Anyway, I'm carrying 38 matches and a magnifying glass and have another 60 matches stashed in the mountaineers hut. So the matches are out there - but you need to travel fast right from the start and investigate as many containers, corpses and buildings as possible in record time.

Killed my fourth wolf a few days ago and if I make it back, can start the 45 hour wolf skin coat. More cabin fever! But at least there is an ice fishing hut here. (Btw - it seems incongruous and strangely forgiving that you can light a fire in the pot belly stove of an ice fishing hut with the magnifying glass.)

1 hour ago, ChillPlayer said:

You can find a Firestriker and a Magnifying Glass somewhere and there are at least 30 Matches in a game, this ought to be enough I think. I also never failed to find matches in PV (guaranteed spawn) or DP (might be a guaranteed spawn, I always had them there). What's important until you get a mag glass is to keep a fire going for as long as possible once it's lit, more than ever with the thread of Cabin Fever right from the start. Shouldn't be a problem anymore though since we can now use the hacksaw to forage.

Magnifying Glass????  Firestriker ???? Are you sure that they spawn in Interloper ?  I am at my 20th game now and cattail feels like caviar to me, finding fire starter feels like finding gold or better yet finding a diamond in a coal mine :) and Pleasant Valley Farmstead had only 3 items 2 granola bars and a sewing kit not counting the water because it is always there. Maaan this interloper LVL is a cruel joke I am sure that some of the best players could survive for a while but still... 

I always liked TLD because it had resourcefulness for example using fishing tackle to repair clothes, and yes using flares to start fires. However if resource spawning is so low everywhere than there is no more need to explore and find random loot that much. The lucky ones that survive and somehow find the necessary tools for survival would just stay in one place and  build up bases hunt, fish and never travel too far since the loot reward is so scarce.

What am I suggesting is this: Make the food rare, but things like matches, clothes,flares and simple tools maybe occasional knife or a hatched  should not be so rare. For me having 1-3 flares or 1-3 matches per map would be fine.  This will create many interesting situations and play-styles for example:

Finding a knife means you could melee a wolf and take care off your food needs that way, off course then you have to spend a day or two to recover your health.

Finding a lamp and oil will let you explore more so you can cover more territory.

Finding a hatched would make you chop some wood and make a quick base to stock up on water and so on.

However I will say it again Not finding matches is a big NO NO! Even if you find 1 flare it does nothing for you in the long run. you could survive 3-4 days at most. if you are lucky and do not encounter wolves. 

26 minutes ago, mystifeid said:

Hi, 1st post!

I have been at this point before at 44 days but made a stupid mistake so I'm hoping I make it this time. Don't worry - this is probably my 50th attempt. I was playing the test builds for a week and to give you some idea, I lost 36% (or 360 fires) from my firemaster badge when testing finished (all achievements earned in the test builds were wiped).

Anyway, I'm carrying 38 matches and a magnifying glass and have another 60 matches stashed in the mountaineers hut. So the matches are out there - but you need to travel fast right from the start and investigate as many containers, corpses and buildings as possible in record time.

Killed my fourth wolf a few days ago and if I make it back, can start the 45 hour wolf skin coat. More cabin fever! But at least there is an ice fishing hut here. (Btw - it seems incongruous and strangely forgiving that you can light a fire in the pot belly stove of an ice fishing hut with the magnifying glass.)

Bravo sir you are a true Hero :)  Is your name John Rambo by the way ? 

8 minutes ago, vancopower said:

Magnifying Glass????  Firestriker ???? Are you sure that they spawn in Interloper ? 

yes I found both in one run while the Mag Glass is superior to anything you can find in the game, because it's condition does not deteriorate whith usage and thus you have unlimited fire. The Mag Glass I always found at the usual spots (Camp Office, both Lookouts) but what's important is what @mystified said, in Interloper you have to stay on the move right from the start. If you progress "naturally" from one map to the next you should find everything you need, there are even bedrolls lying around.

Tried 3 Interloper.

1) DP, I was in shock for the temperature! Lighthouse then ship. I didn't find any source of light and couldn't escape, my mistake was to go to the big structure when it was too dark to see a thing, there surelly was something there. Mines hoping to find somethingon the entrance. Going back to the structure while the sun was rising. Dead.

2) I spawned near the top of TWM, maybe just a couple of levels ahead. I was happy. Only problem a wolf 5 meters besides me, I've tried to use some rabbits to distract him but it didn't work, I panicked and went a little bit too back the cliff and couldn't climb up again. That was a big mistake. I should have fight the wolf and reach the summit, or maybe not since I didn't have any bandages. Anyway. Got down with everything sprained, little things, blizzard. Dead.

3) That was a good one. I've spawned in Pleasant Valley. Immediatelly went to the main house, picked some found matches, the thing to repair clothes, decent clothes, water, the hammer!. My mistake now was probably to keep trying to play normally and go to the other main shelter. That was a time consuming freezing suicide, there I've used the car inside to sleep but still. I should have went to Mistery Lake immediatelly. Then I've come back to the main shelter. Was hungry and it was too cold to go to mistery lake now. I tried to fight a wolf with the hammer. Bad decision. Died.

2 hours ago, mystifeid said:

Hi, 1st post!

This clearly seems to be the best and only path. Pleasant valley for the hammer and stuff, ML to find nice things and cattail, then DP to make tools.

I hope I'll make it next time :(

For me, TWM is the easiest place to spawn. You can harvest around 50 cat tails and usually find either a hammer, lantern or hacksaw (and matches) in the ice fishing/mountaineers hut then boil water/warm up before sprinting down to spend your first night in the abandoned cache in PV and not lose more than 30% health - which you will regain while you sleep provided you eat/drink sufficiently beforehand. In the morning the cave at the Mystic River Picnic Area often yields either a lantern or a bedroll. If you do not already have a lantern you can light a fire inside the cave and take a brand for a light source and explore widdershins.

Weird that the hatchet is automatically selected for crafting some things like the bow and the wolf skin coat. If you drop the hatchet first then the knife is selected for crafting and the times drop dramatically eg the crafting time for the bow drops from 9 hours to 6.5 while the wolf skin coat drops from 45 hours to 32.5.

Getting to the summit and back turned out to be easier than a lot of the runs I've had in stalker. Made the wolf skin coat (in 32.5 hrs) and now it's day 71. When I go outside in the afternoon now it often feels like a balmy minus 10 or 12 and everything seems possible.

Roughly half on Crystal Lake and the other half on the offshoot leading to Landing Gear - watch out for the wolf! The number varies. Sometimes I've had as few as 44 and as many as 52. It depends where you spawn, how nervous you feel about the weather or your health and whether the wolf is actually there. Sometimes, too, you will need to warm up after harvesting the first half.

Each time I've tried I've got to the mine connecting to DP (where I leave a stash) with more cat tails. This time I had 202. And I still have about 100 of those and have yet to harvest on the frozen river that feeds into Crystal Lake.

9 hours ago, exeexe said:

I think too matches are too rare. Have at least a minimum per map. Like if you dont have a match and you find a torch. What you gonna do? Its useless.

They are not too rare. Interloper finally has itemization balance right. If you think it is too rare please try another game mode. 

OK Now that I tried much more games, I can say this:

Items are rare but they are not as rare as I thought. I found 36 total matches lots of water, enough food to keep me going until I hunt something. However I did not spawned in DP I spawned in PV and worked my way to CH and so on. I guess DP is little out of balance, because there are so many places you can loot. 

My final conclusion is Interloper is fine Except spawning in DP which is nightmare, my suggestion is to make DP little easier at least 1 matchbox in the lighthouse would solve this barrier.

3 hours ago, mystifeid said:

Roughly half on Crystal Lake and the other half on the offshoot leading to Landing Gear - watch out for the wolf! The number varies. Sometimes I've had as few as 44 and as many as 52. It depends where you spawn, how nervous you feel about the weather or your health and whether the wolf is actually there. Sometimes, too, you will need to warm up after harvesting the first half.

Each time I've tried I've got to the mine connecting to DP (where I leave a stash) with more cat tails. This time I had 202. And I still have about 100 of those and have yet to harvest on the frozen river that feeds into Crystal Lake.

Got it. I've always loved them but they're clearly the thing to use on interloper, really nice new balance.

2 hours ago, MueckE said:

well, there is a reason why you only can spawn in dp, pv or twm in interloper ...

Care to Elaborate ? Do you know something that we don't? Is it connected to the story perhaps ? ;)

This reminds me, Maybe it is just me but 9-10 games I Respawn in DP. If this is true for the most players then it needs to be fixed, why? because it is supposed to be a random spawn not the same place every time oh yea I forgot to mention this to I spawn 9-10 games in the same spot in DP. After my 5th game I felt like Bill Murray in groundhog day :)

It is extremely hard (if not impossible - i didn't test it yet) to survive if you spawn in twm, pv or dp and want to stay there. If you are ready to play interloper, you understand why. It seems that the devs want to force you to travel (to look for matches/bedroll/food). So the normal thing to do is to go to ML/CH for the first days/weeks. You should adapt your playstyle for interloper and don't ask for features that make interloper easier. 

Going from DP to CH is pretty easy and you shouldn't lose more than 10% condition to do that (worst case scenario). But if you prefer to have a pilgim-like playstyle (spawn, go inside, find food, make water, be save, build a nice base) - than i totally can understand the struggle.

BTW, that's the nice thing about Interloper. You always have to make the decision - do i go? Now or later? Shall i look for matches in DP or do i go right now? But what if i miss something good? What if a blizzard blows for a day? Will there be places where i can rest/warm up on my way? Will i find something usefull there maybe?  ........... all the things you have to think of all the time, that's Interloper. If you are not ready for that, play more stalker and get used to it and maybe have proper answers to these questions to make better decisions.

What I am laughing my socks off about now is the amount of people who, previously, were complaining about how easy the game is, and how they'd racked up so much loot etc etc etc, are now complaining that the game is too hard. Simply for that, Interloper in its current iteration has my full support. I am thoroughly enjoying the community response.

Don't worry, once they get used to it they'll probably go back to saying it's too easy.

Finished my first hundred days! Pretty sure I won't get to two hundred. I never expected to get so far and have been a bit profligate in my use of things. Oh well.

The wolf skin coat really turns things around and after the initial struggle, the last thirty-five days have felt rather anti-climactic.

I thought that the weather was supposed to keep getting worse but the last couple of afternoons have felt like minus 7 (I am at Deer Clearing) and when minus 10 is the new zero that's like good weather for a suntan.

screen_(1756, 211, 1765)_e9e26dcb-e346-4fc8-8269-add9ba71795b.jpg

2 hours ago, MueckE said:

It is extremely hard (if not impossible - i didn't test it yet) to survive if you spawn in twm, pv or dp and want to stay there. If you are ready to play interloper, you understand why. It seems that the devs want to force you to travel (to look for matches/bedroll/food). So the normal thing to do is to go to ML/CH for the first days/weeks. You should adapt your playstyle for interloper and don't ask for features that make interloper easier. 

Going from DP to CH is pretty easy and you shouldn't lose more than 10% condition to do that (worst case scenario). But if you prefer to have a pilgim-like playstyle (spawn, go inside, find food, make water, be save, build a nice base) - than i totally can understand the struggle.

BTW, that's the nice thing about Interloper. You always have to make the decision - do i go? Now or later? Shall i look for matches in DP or do i go right now? But what if i miss something good? What if a blizzard blows for a day? Will there be places where i can rest/warm up on my way? Will i find something usefull there maybe?  ........... all the things you have to think of all the time, that's Interloper. If you are not ready for that, play more stalker and get used to it and maybe have proper answers to these questions to make better decisions.

You do know that without light source you can't go BTW maps right? Almost every map is connected with a mine, how am I supposed to navigate in the mines if I don't have matches or flares. I don't ask for making interloper easier I just want a survivable chance, if there is none than what is the point.

I am playing TLD on and off from the very beginning I am aware of all the spawning places however interloper takes that information and throws it out the window  you would be lucky to get at least one good spawn like matches in the basement of PV homestead.

If you know any other way of navigating without light in the mines I am all ears  :big_smile:

59 minutes ago, vancopower said:

You do know that without light source you can't go BTW maps right? Almost every map is connected with a mine, how am I supposed to navigate in the mines if I don't have matches or flares. I don't ask for making interloper easier I just want a survivable chance, if there is none than what is the point.

I am playing TLD on and off from the very beginning I am aware of all the spawning places however interloper takes that information and throws it out the window  you would be lucky to get at least one good spawn like matches in the basement of PV homestead.

If you know any other way of navigating without light in the mines I am all ears  :big_smile:

I think they tuned it so that you will always find a source of light somewhere. But you can be unlucky and just die. I think it's a good thing, it makes the game more interesting that just following the same predictable path of entering a place and find almost everything you need.

Archived