Nerf the houses

exeexe

At least for stalker i think the indoor area could use a nerf. And i was thinking how could it be done. I thought for the map the player is on there could be a 50% chance that a house would be 5C colder than it otherwise would be.
But the thing is it will change each day. It can change in the morning. So for example u can live in a house without freezing on day 1 but then on day 2 you cant etc I think this will make the game more challenging and interesting because you never know how safe the inside is until you try it out.

Yeah?

I think that would be nice add to the survival aspect in cold conditions. For example in my cabin there are usually colder inside than outside in the winter. But that depends how often somebody burns good amount of firewood in stove. When you have burnt wood for about 5-10h cottage stays warm for 2-3 days. That is only for my little cabin because it depends so much about houses dimension and internal structures.

I approve!

Whats with 50% chance ? Why ?

Indoor conditions should depend on outdoor conditions, being windproof and a few degrees warmer, thats it. Not some magical bonuses depending solely on rng, without any point nor reason. Aside of player activities, like using stove, i dont really see what else could make significant modification to indoors temperatures.

13 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Whats with 50% chance ? Why ?

Indoor conditions should depend on outdoor conditions, being windproof and a few degrees warmer, thats it. Not some magical bonuses depending solely on rng, without any point nor reason. Aside of player activities, like using stove, i dont really see what else could make significant modification to indoors temperatures.

To give interesting mechanics to the gameplay since it changes day to day. What you are suggesting just sounds boring and predictable.

The warm houses can stay in pilgrim I believe, in order to get new players accustomed to the game.

But for the other two experience modes Something like giving more locations an indoor fireplace while coupling it with a parallel ambient temperature to the outside would make it more dynamic and believable.

Maybe if we were able to stitch together makeshift blankets and add them to beds, or even take additional blankets from one bed and put them on another to  boost the warmth bonus, then the smaller huts that don't have stoves in them could be usable to warm you up in a pinch without the need for fire?

You would need to be sleeping or passing time in order to gain from it, but it would mitigate the effects of making indoor spaces generally colder, which I agree is needed. And it wouldn't require them all to have fireplaces in them in order to be useful shelter for the freezing player.

places like CH or ML where there are sometimes multiple buildings or trailers with no heat sources yet a few beds/bunks etc. If it were me, and I was stuck there, only one of those buildings would have a bed and blankets and the stuff from the others would be moved to the one I live in. Might even take a spare mattress and blankies out to a fishing hut and sleep on the counter while the fire is going if I needed to fish.

28 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

I jist had a cool thought, the PC stripping a bed for reclaimed wood and instead of cloth a "rough" blanket, or "quality" blanket from the varying beds. 

Then you can break it down into cloth if youd like, or have a timesink where you patch together a quilt for the same purpose.

I like this idea regarding blankets.  I've always wondered why, if we can harvest certain old pillows and we can harvest curtains and towels, why can't we harvest a blanket from a bed and take it with us?  That makes some sense to me, especially if you couple it with a mechanic from the sister thread about houses being too warm.

I'm also in favor of more in-house fireplaces-- but hatchets lose so much condition cutting wood that I feel like that, too, would have to be changed at the same time in order for players to be able to harvest more wood, longer.

16 minutes ago, tnbp said:

I like this idea regarding blankets.  I've always wondered why, if we can harvest certain old pillows and we can harvest curtains and towels, why can't we harvest a blanket from a bed and take it with us?  That makes some sense to me, especially if you couple it with a mechanic from the sister thread about houses being too warm.

I'm also in favor of more in-house fireplaces-- but hatchets lose so much condition cutting wood that I feel like that, too, would have to be changed at the same time in order for players to be able to harvest more wood, longer.

Yes, exactly what im thinking!

.however, ive used hatchets a lot and can honestly say that it takes skill to keep your hatchet from getting dull quickly. Every camping trip i have to hone mine back into shape of i used it to cut more than a few dry branches. 

Perhaps a foraging skill could be implemented to make your hatchets more durable?

Regarding interior locations:

If no human is around they tend to be the same temperature as outside...with a delay.  Sun goes down, night comes on, the air gets cold fast...but the air in the cabin tends to hold it's warmth and cool down slower.  Of course, sun comes up air warms up a little, cabin is slower to respond to this.  This is is probably tricky to model.  The second half is when you put a human in it.  That starts to warm up the place.  This is of course related to both size of open space and how long the human has been in it, and how well insulated the cabin is.  I am guessing these factors combined are trying to be represented by consistently having interiors warmer.

It would be interesting to see buildings given a size classification (ML lake cabin = 5, trappers hut =3, small cabins around lake, = 2) that is used to calculate a how quickly it warms up a bit extra just from body heat. as well as how quickly/much the further portions warm up from a fire.  Biggest buildings would not warm up at all from bodyheat or fire.  (Specific rooms that are much more sealed might be treated the same way as a smaller building)

Regarding Bed/Blanket

I absolutely believe that blankets and other bed materials should be harvestable as 'blankets'.  You use blankets to 'improve' the bed you are sleeping in, maybe 3 different levels. (1 blanket = minimal, and what most are normally found at, improve slightly with each additional blanket, max 5...at a certain point extra blankets don't do much as in themselves they aren't warm they just hold your warmth.  Also diminishing returns.  Going from 1 blanket to 2 blanket is +1C, 2 blanket to 3 = +0.9C.

Blankets can be used to create and repair bedroll.  Maybe be able to create 3 different types, with different weights.  It would take more blankets to accomplish the same thing as on a bed you are elevated off the floor and have mattress under you so little heat is lost downward, bedroll on the cold ground much heat lost downward. Basically 2 blankets on ground for every 1 blanket on top, so 3 blankets to make minimal bed roll, 6 to make improved.  9 to make superior.  Beyond that it is impractical.  Heck superior may be impractical too.

Bearskln equals 2 blankets plus a small intrinsic bonus.

Blanket can also be harvested for big pile of cloth.

Blanket can be used to craft poncho type "jacket"

When repair skill is high enough, craft an actual blanket coat  (Capote)...which wikipedia tells me is tied to the Canadian Identity.  Warmth wise make it very similar to navy pea coat.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson%27s_Bay_point_blanket

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capote_(garment)

19 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

Yes, exactly what im thinking!

.however, ive used hatchets a lot and can honestly say that it takes skill to keep your hatchet from getting dull quickly. Every camping trip i have to hone mine back into shape of i used it to cut more than a few dry branches. 

Perhaps a foraging skill could be implemented to make your hatchets more durable?

I don't mean the mechanic of how fast they dull would require changing, but perhaps moreso the mechanic regarding re-sharpening (there has been a lot of discussion about whetstones elsewhere, already.)

My main point would be that if we were intended to require more wood to survive, they would need to rebalance how long we are able to get wood in the long run.

Archived