After a long time, darkness.

Salty Crackers

In the game currently, there is no reliable light source for the late game.  Both the lantern and the torch use kerosene, which is a non-renewable resource. Flares aren't infinite, and there is a much better use for them. The only infijite light source is the brand, which is not very bright, can't be turned off, and pretty much is only useful for lighting fires.

I have a few suggestions:

Candles- This has been suggested a lot, but it's a good idea. We can find emergency candles at first, but eventally we will have to make tallow candles. If you want, you could make us read a book to get the skill. 

Torches- You could let us create a less good torch from natural ingredients like pine resin. You would probably have to read a book to get the skill, though.

Alternate fuel- Don't let us use propane. There's no way we could get it out of the tanks by the houses. On the same note, don't let us get jet fuel from TWM. There would be WAY too much fuel. However, you could let us siphon gas from cars. Gasoline could somehow be used to fuel a DualFuel lantern, but not for much else. It's a bit of a stretch, but maybe we could somehow get whale oil from rotten whale carcasses. This would be hard to do, though, because I'm not sure whales could wash up when the whole ocean is frozen.

25 minutes ago, Salty Crackers said:

Candles- This has been suggested a lot, but it's a good idea. We can find emergency candles at first, but eventally we will have to make tallow candles. If you want, you could make us read a book to get the skill. 

I love the idea of candles, but they'd give even less light output than a brand. Still, they have the upside of being able to be placed somewhere.

26 minutes ago, Salty Crackers said:

Torches- You could let us create a less good torch from natural ingredients like pine resin. You would probably have to read a book to get the skill, though.

Pine resin or the same animal fat you'd make candles with. Good idea with the book!

26 minutes ago, Salty Crackers said:

Alternate fuel- Don't let us use propane. There's no way we could get it out of the tanks by the houses. On the same note, don't let us get jet fuel from TWM. There would be WAY too much fuel. However, you could let us siphon gas from cars. Gasoline could somehow be used to fuel a DualFuel lantern, but not for much else. It's a bit of a stretch, but maybe we could somehow get whale oil from rotten whale carcasses. This would be hard to do, though, because I'm not sure whales could wash up when the whole ocean is frozen.

Gasoline burns very quickly, so it's not that good for making light. If we could find diesel fuel somewhere, mixing it with gasoline would produce a good enough flame. As for the whale oil, the whaling plants in the game seem abandoned, and it takes even more fuel to produce whale oil than the process gives you.

Really, pine resin and similar resins seem to me at least the most realistic and feasible solution. 

"Candles- This has been suggested a lot, but it's a good idea. We can find emergency candles at first, but eventally we will have to make tallow candles. If you want, you could make us read a book to get the skill. 

Alternate fuel- Don't let us use propane. There's no way we could get it out of the tanks by the houses. On the same note, don't let us get jet fuel from TWM. There would be WAY too much fuel. However, you could let us siphon gas from cars. Gasoline could somehow be used to fuel a DualFuel lantern, but not for much else. It's a bit of a stretch, but maybe we could somehow get whale oil from rotten whale carcasses. This would be hard to do, though, because I'm not sure whales could wash up when the whole ocean is frozen."

BRILLIANT IDEAS

I'm all for recovering JP4 from the wings of the crashed A/C on TWM.  It is only Kerosene of course, and I know that there are always drain points and pressure relief valves on fuel tanks which could be used for access.

The gas tanks on cars are a different matter, there is usually no drain plug, and bashing a hole in the tank might result in a spark which could ignite the contents.  Hmm... that might be an idea, you can do it, but there is a certain percentage of it dousing you in burning gasoline.

1 hour ago, Wastelander said:

Gasoline burns very quickly, so it's not that good for making light. If we could find diesel fuel somewhere, mixing it with gasoline would produce a good enough flame. As for the whale oil, the whaling plants in the game seem abandoned, and it takes even more fuel to produce whale oil than the process gives you.

A Coleman DualFuel lantern can run on both white gas and regular unleaded. That isn't what we have, but it could be used. According to Wikipedia, whale oil was made by boiling strips of the whale's blubber. We probably could do that. Plus, a beachcombing mechanic is on the Roadmap.

7 minutes ago, starfighter441 said:

I'm all for recovering JP4 from the wings of the crashed A/C on TWM.  It is only Kerosene of course, and I know that there are always drain points and pressure relief valves on fuel tanks which could be used for access.

The gas tanks on cars are a different matter, there is usually no drain plug, and bashing a hole in the tank might result in a spark which could ignite the contents.  Hmm... that might be an idea, you can do it, but there is a certain percentage of it dousing you in burning gasoline.

You can siphon out the fuel with a bit of a rubber hose. Needs some practice though, unless you like fuel in your mouth :D 

What about tires, can they be made into torches? I, for one, wouldn't want to have a rubber-torch in any closed space due to the fumes they emit. Anybody got any chemistry or experiences about that?

2 hours ago, Salty Crackers said:

In the game currently, there is no reliable light source for the late game.  Both the lantern and the torch use kerosene, which is a non-renewable resource. Flares aren't infinite, and there is a much better use for them. The only infijite light source is the brand, which is not very bright, can't be turned off, and pretty much is only useful for lighting fires.

I have a few suggestions:

While I like your candles/resin ideas, there is a lot of fuel and flares on the map.  I think in my current 200 day stalker run, I have around 25 laterns that are mostly full, about 10 liters of fuel in jerry cans, another 10 or so containers of lamp oil, and at least 40 flares left.  That's a lot of light. :D 

• 1 year later...
On 30.8.2016 at 5:08 PM, Salty Crackers said:

which is a non-renewable

Wrong, if you cook fish you get lantern fuel. only between 0.01 and 0.2 Liter but you can go on pretty impressive fishing streaks with a fire and enough fishing hooks. I have made 5 Liters of lamp oil within a day or 2 so it is quite easy to get fuel.

9 hours ago, selfless said:

? this post is over a year old.... ? 

Well, at least the recent posts have corrected some out of date/incorrect information that hadn't been addressed. (I'm not sure now if fish-oil was in the game 14 months ago)

Can't hurt, in case somebody new stumbles across this thread, which is pretty much what happened here, by the looks.

23 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Easy, you search for a topic to answer a question, see one, and not notice the original date it was posted.

Or, like a lot of newcomers, you just get curious and go digging back through older posts.. I know I did when I first came here.

Archived