I don't really like hunting in this game.

Docterrok

Now, I will keep this super simple. Why can't hunting be an adventure? I hunt and it's a hell of a lot more exciting than how it's portrayed in game, I think we should have a hunting simulator of sorts. If we can't have anything to pass the time, at least let us be engaged in hunting! Like this... Anyone remember this gem of a game? 

image.jpeg

Ok, here's what I think needs to be added (and removed) to make hunting more engaging.

• Make wolves a threat again, and not something that can be killed with some spoiled meat and a bow.
  • make animal AI less spastic, deers do not run towards you! :D
  • add things like camouflage and scent and they affect hunting
  • add a compound bow that requires upkeep and repair often
  • make carrying our kills to different locations possible
  • add a variety of arrowheads that inflict different things

thats it!

19 hours ago, Docterrok said:

Now, I will keep this super simple. Why can't hunting be an adventure? I hunt and it's a hell of a lot more exciting than how it's portrayed in game, I think we should have a hunting simulator of sorts. If we can't have anything to pass the time, at least let us be engaged in hunting! Like this... Anyone remember this gem of a game? 

image.jpeg

I like hunting how it is.

5 hours ago, Rifleman said:

image.thumb.png.adc984616b822e6cfc73087cThe long dark needs more equipment for hunting and they also need to upgrade the wolfs intelligence.

this picture is an idea for equipment 

i like that idea as long as it removes the multitude of weapons

Yes. I agree, I have referenced quite a few times that the only thing that annoys me a little of the current game is hunting and the multitude of wild life we encounter. Lets us truly be afraid of running into a wolf. Hunting deer, wolves or bears should be difficult, there shouldn't be that many out there, going out to find food should be an adventure and a challenge, it should be hard. Them just appearing around and always in the same context and place ruins immersion a little. Camouflage between trees and that kind of thing could be a thing. 

Maybe have places that are like this, full of trees, and little ones (branches like this i think it's something the game needs, the trees are awesome but i think we need more small ones, bushes, and the like, more variety), that could really ruin your vision for knowing where wildlife is (and makes your travelling more difficult). I would really love to have places looking a little more like this. With more trees variety.

D869_9_818_1200.jpg

12 minutes ago, CarolinaSantAngelo said:

Yes. I agree, I have referenced quite a few times that the only thing that annoys me a little of the current game is hunting and the multitude of wild life we encounter. Lets us truly be afraid of running into a wolf. Hunting deer, wolves or bears should be difficult, there shouldn't be that many out there, going out to find food should be an adventure and a challenge, it should be hard. Them just appearing around and always in the same context and place ruins immersion a little. Camouflage between trees and that kind of thing could be a thing. 

Maybe have places that are like this, full of trees, and little ones (branches like this i think it's something the game needs, the trees are awesome but i think we need more small ones, bushes, and the like, more variety), that could really ruin your vision for knowing where wildlife is (and makes your travelling more difficult). I would really love to have places looking a little more like this. With more trees variety.

D869_9_818_1200.jpg

hopefully a dev sees this! :D

16 hours ago, CarolinaSantAngelo said:

D869_9_818_1200.jpg

If you like your computer to blow up and pretty much exclude over half of the players who dont have absolute top of the line rigs, going for such view is a great idea.

4 hours ago, Docterrok said:

lets get back on topic though, any other hunting mechanics? 

More range for the hunting rifle, more detection range for animals. Simple scent-based techniques which are learned over time with increasing skills - bait (deer can be baited with.... I can't say that here, but you know what I'm saying even if I self-censor here), repellant (bear sweat-perfume to keep those pesky wolves away!) and maybe even smothering ourselves in leaves so we smell like some sort of bush or something.

Welcome to the forums @Cosquake ^_^

I still don't think the game needs more firearms. The ability to scavenge (or find) a scope for the hunting rifle and more realistic animal behaviour (wolves cannot run across the map and back after being shot in the head) would both be excellent additions

5 hours ago, Boston123 said:

This has to be one of the only "hunting games" where the premier strategy is "shoot the animal in the head".

That needs to change.

I think you mean shoot the animal through the neck.  Bigger target, better outcome.

5 hours ago, Boston123 said:

This has to be one of the only "hunting games" where the premier strategy is "shoot the animal in the head".

That needs to change.

Meh , this is a survival game first and foremost so i don't see why that really needs to change . I know that IRL it's very unwise to shoot an animal in the head while hunting because if you don't hit the brain , wich is a very small target , you probably won't kill the animal and just end up injuring them very badly , i've seen some pictures and they don't look very pretty , the poor deers :( But TLD is a survival game , and tbh , if i was starving to death , i wouldn't really care where i hit an animal as long as it ends up dead and in my tummy :P 

Archived