Candles

vitamin

This has likely been suggested before, but yeah. I think candles would be awesome to light the interior of a space when it's dark. I find lighting with the storm lantern to be expensive in terms of fuel. Having long duration candles would be sweet that provide light for a longer period, cheaper than fuel, and maybe provide a degree or two of warmth.

Wow, I hadn't even thought of crafting them. Yours is a fantastic idea. Maybe 1 gut and 1 fishing line and you could make like 5 candles lasting 5 hours each or something. I was thinking like.. a long-term, cheaper way to have at least *some* light in your house/cabin/shelter.

+1 for candles, preferably big premade pillar candles burning for at least a hundred hours each (with little light output ofc.) To balance their longevity, even the slightest wind or character movement faster than walking should blow them out, making them indoor items only.

(I for one mainly see candles as immobile long-term light sources you might need to craft or repair anything in your base at night.) :normal:

Candles can be incredibly useful. Fun fact: When I moved into my current apartment, I had no electricity because it was cut off due to the former inhabitant not paying his bills. So, I had to cook somehow - I rigged up four small candles under something to support a pot or pan and bam, I could cook, albeit veeeeery slowly. This doesn't need to be implemented in the game though, as there are already a billion ways to cook out there, but yeah, candles are useful. Scented candles could also improve morale in the future!

4 hours ago, Wastelander said:

Candles can be incredibly useful. Fun fact: When I moved into my current apartment, I had no electricity because it was cut off due to the former inhabitant not paying his bills. So, I had to cook somehow - I rigged up four small candles under something to support a pot or pan and bam, I could cook, albeit veeeeery slowly. This doesn't need to be implemented in the game though, as there are already a billion ways to cook out there, but yeah, candles are useful. Scented candles could also improve morale in the future!

And... perfume! Once we have the morale system in place, we may find the occasional after shave or perfume. Applying it could raise our morale... ;)

6 hours ago, Hotzn said:

And... perfume! Once we have the morale system in place, we may find the occasional after shave or perfume. Applying it could raise our morale... ;)

might even let us score with some lady survivors, too ;) xD

(don't ask)

Consider yourself questioned.

17 minutes ago, Tbone555 said:

might even let us score with some lady survivors, too ;) xD

I suppose that finding mates in the post-apocalypse is less tied to their scent and more to traditional values as in 'can do things' and 'doesn't die easily'. Then again, that should be up to the individual female survivor.

Thanks for the welcome, cekivi! It was my first post. But yeah, basically I was just going for a long-term (cheap) light source, even if it's a dim light, you know? Because I'm often doing stuff inside and it's always dark inside. And light indoors adds tons of ambiance to the whole experience. I LOVE the storm lantern, but if you keep that thing lit, it gets expensive and you obviously don't want to waste all your kerosene or lantern fuel like that.

Exactly. The indoor lighting has been greatly tweaked from earlier alphas. But it's still a work in progress. I think the lighting is at a point where a cheap, dim light source is a better idea for indoor areas at night versus continuing to increase the overall ambient light levels.

22 hours ago, Wastelander said:

Consider yourself questioned.

I suppose that finding mates in the post-apocalypse is less tied to their scent and more to traditional values as in 'can do things' and 'doesn't die easily'. Then again, that should be up to the individual female survivor.

well i was just joking xD i think that finding a 'mate' would be the LAST thing on my mind if i were in Will's position xD

i realize that my first post had nothing to do with the actual topic, so regarding that -

i love the idea of candles, vitamin, and welcome to the forums! always good to see a new face :) candles have been brought up several times, and im completely for them. i, myself suggested making our own candles from moose fat and moss (saw someone on Life Below Zero do that) and make them an occasional find in the coastal highway houses. because, cmon, what modern household doesnt have a couple candles lying about?

+1 for candles of some sort.

I'm thinking how cool it would be to come home to the dark light house and be able to light a candle for a bit more light and overall comfort.

I guess the candle would have a short life span (10hrs?), so you would need to blow it out before going to sleep or going outside etc.and they will only work indoors! as to windy outdoors. and maybe we find them in packs of 6 candles or something?

household-candles01.JPG.d547d3d16c6ffbbb

Candles will work outdoors. You just have to be smart about it. Outdoor candles were quite popular in my hometown actually ^_^

See: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/kenora-cemetery-s-ice-candles-festival-shines-a-light-on-grief-and-winter-1.3378294

(No, I'm not from Kenora but it's the same region and we do similar things)

I agree though that mechanically they should be restricted to indoor use since it makes them a more interesting item that way.

I've always liked the candles idea, but I think they need to have a purpose other than crushing lanterns in terms of usefulness at seeing indoors.  So what I've proposed in the past is that every action you may take (indoors or outdoors) requires sufficient light to do it.  If you're making a pair of pants from deer pelts and gut, you'll certainly need to see what you're doing!  Candles would help with that: not really enough light to see the whole of your abode (or to properly search for items in a new place, that should be the lantern's job), but enough to sit in one place and fiddle around cleaning your rifle.  I like the idea of crafting them (bear fat, anyone?) and also occaisionally finding them.

As of now I see it like this: candles made of wild beeswax which can be obtained during non-winter season, once all four seasons are implemented in the game, and after some thoroughly made search in the woods for the wild bees hive. Which also can gift some wild honey, maybe? As well as some painful stings x)

In the situation that we have nowdays, perhaps candles can be produced of fat from the guts. Like 10 fresh guts and one fishing line can result in one candle.

Just thoughts.

And yeah, bear fat fits in perfect here.

Perfume and psycho-emotional stuff aside. I think candles, especially in a protective glass lamp, would be a great light source, especially within a building as they would remain lite for a long time and could serve several important roles including (1) obviously, casting light in a dark room and (2) set in a window could mark the house, if one risks night forging or fishing trips, which with the advent of seasons, might not be a bad idea.

So many awesome ideas, wow. My thinking behind this was kind of like.. so I live in Canada, and winters are harsh sometimes. And candles are like one of the first things you'd go for when the power runs out, you know? I agree with the previous poster, if you went scavenging around cabin after cabin, you'd find candles for sure. And I love the idea of using animal fat (or beeswax if the seasons thing comes in like the previous poster mentioned) and a fishing line to make candles. I just would like them to be relatively cheap and you could make a bunch of them. And each candle has a long lifespan, like in real life, of like.. 5 hours, 10 hours, something like that. A long (if only very dim) lasting light source for indoors. Maybe each candle has a certain light value associated with it and if you light 5 candles around a living room, it gets cozy and bright or something. I just think it would add to the experience, which is already very awesome, and it seems like it would be a relatively easy thing to implement.

Archived