Shelter wear and repair

SteveP

Should buildings and shelters wear out and require maintenance?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There is something to be said for the timescale over which said decay takes place. Unless your house is in serious disrepair to begin with, I wouldn't expect rot to start setting in to internal fixtures and supports such as roofing struts and stairs for a good 4 years.
Now mildew in bedding and similar would be an interesting idea.
Personally I thing that a building should undergo a certain degree of degradation before it halts at a defined limit. The shell of the house and the roof are unfixable all by thy onesies. The loss of a few shingles will have a negligible effect on the house in the long run, as most sensible house builders have a roofing membrane beneath the slates/shingles. Re-roofing a house is an undertaking you do not perform by yourself, especially in adverse weather conditions. Doing so would likely lead to your death.

my idea of the extent of structure degradation, and their effects, are as follows:

• Shattered windows
    > prevents house from warming up,
    > increases risk of hypothermia in sleep 
    > increases chances of mildew, moulds and waterlogging of bedding and tinder
    > on ground floor, shattered windows will allow wolves to enter the building
  • Blocked chimney
    > prevents fire from lighting effectively
    > 2% chance of death if sleeping close to burning fire (carbon monoxide poisoning)
  • Shattered door
    > allows admittance of cold air and mammalian undesirables
    > can be caused by attempting to flee from a bear by entering a building (unless door is steel/ reinforced)
  • Damp
    > general condition of building contents decreases as a slightly increased rate, especially foods and clothing
    > increased chance of contracting infections (if wounded)
  • Burst pipe
    > No water supply - unable to harvest water from toilets or other water sources
    > increased chance of Damp
  • Vermin infestation
    > More likely to have unsettled sleep
    > Food randomly goes missing
    > Overall increased chance of infection (if wounded)
    > Ambient scratching present, as indicator of infestation

These are the few I could think of, but I don't believe total, or near total destruction of a house should be in the game.

1 hour ago, EternityTide said:

There is something to be said for the timescale over which said decay takes place. Unless your house is in serious disrepair to begin with, I wouldn't expect rot to start setting in to internal fixtures and supports such as roofing struts and stairs for a good 4 years.
Now mildew in bedding and similar would be an interesting idea.
Personally I thing that a building should undergo a certain degree of degradation before it halts at a defined limit. The shell of the house and the roof are unfixable all by thy onesies. The loss of a few shingles will have a negligible effect on the house in the long run, as most sensible house builders have a roofing membrane beneath the slates/shingles. Re-roofing a house is an undertaking you do not perform by yourself, especially in adverse weather conditions. Doing so would likely lead to your death.

my idea of the extent of structure degradation, and their effects, are as follows:

• Shattered windows
    > prevents house from warming up,
    > increases risk of hypothermia in sleep 
    > increases chances of mildew, moulds and waterlogging of bedding and tinder
    > on ground floor, shattered windows will allow wolves to enter the building
  • Blocked chimney
    > prevents fire from lighting effectively
    > 2% chance of death if sleeping close to burning fire (carbon monoxide poisoning)
  • Shattered door
    > allows admittance of cold air and mammalian undesirables
    > can be caused by attempting to flee from a bear by entering a building (unless door is steel/ reinforced)
  • Damp
    > general condition of building contents decreases as a slightly increased rate, especially foods and clothing
    > increased chance of contracting infections (if wounded)
  • Burst pipe
    > No water supply - unable to harvest water from toilets or other water sources
    > increased chance of Damp
  • Vermin infestation
    > More likely to have unsettled sleep
    > Food randomly goes missing
    > Overall increased chance of infection (if wounded)
    > Ambient scratching present, as indicator of infestation

These are the few I could think of, but I don't believe total, or near total destruction of a house should be in the game.

I like most of these. The blocked chimney is a little arbitrary since there's no way to clean it (we can't climb on roofs) and it may not be obvious to players. Since the water pump would be shutoff flooding would also not happen due to burst pipes. The toilet reservoir should still be full as well since the water can expand without cracking the porcelain. Damp is a very interesting mechanic that's worth expanding on. It should be possible to ward it off by keeping the home warm (and therefore dry) by having a small fire lit at all times. Of course, this necessitates a large change in how fires are currently managed.

first of all i want all Houses chances into a no new loading area (like the watchtower) and i want the building looks outside like inside. There are many houses in TLD was really tiny outside and inside they are a Palast with Galeria and manny rooms.

PS i want also a stove in the most houses. I can't believe that's in the wilderness of Canada residents exist whitout this. :-)

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 7:13 AM, Scyzara said:

I very much support this suggestion as it would add a meaningful use for toolboxes!:normal:

I very much agree mostly Ive just been using them for extra scrap and I hold onto one just incase

Meaning being able to fix the mountain with the tool box and such (communicating via xbox and controller eghk)

5 minutes ago, Axtos said:

PS i want also a stove in the most houses. I can't believe that's in the wilderness of Canada residents exist whitout this. :-)

I guess stoves are primarily to be expected in buildings that are inhabited throughout the whole year and not only during the summer months. For some huts like e.g. the lake cabins (which I personally always imagined as lodgings where tourists spend their summer holidays) the lack of a stove isn't immersion-breaking imo. The same is true for buildings where people didn't primarily live but rather work, like e.g. the PV outbuildings, Carter Hydro dam or the radio tower.

I don't recall if there are any houses in the Coastal townsite without a stove, but these are (besides trapper's homestead, the PV farmstead, the Camp Office and a few other locations) pretty much the only buildings where I would definitely expect a stove no matter what.

6 hours ago, Axtos said:

first of all i want all Houses chances into a no new loading area (like the watchtower) and i want the building looks outside like inside. There are many houses in TLD was really tiny outside and inside they are a Palast with Galeria and manny rooms.

Which buildings in TLD fit this description in your opinion? So far I've not encountered this issue (unlike in Oblivion and Skyrim . . . )

6 hours ago, Scyzara said:

I don't recall if there are any houses in the Coastal townsite without a stove, but these are (besides trapper's homestead, the PV farmstead, the Camp Office and a few other locations) pretty much the only buildings where I would definitely expect a stove no matter what.

5 hours ago, Axtos said:

the house of the misanthrope and the house on the Jackrabbit Hill, where I'm housing :-) looks not like a summer holiday house. And there are no stove (or any other visible heating equipment).

These homes do have a stove. It's the heavy metal ranges in the kitchens. And many of the houses in CH have an interior door that you cannot open, which I imagine go down into basements. These homes also have propane tanks outside which are meant to provide fuel for the ranges (stove/oven combo) and probably a furnace in the basement as well. 

That said, I too find it irritating that so many of these houses don't have fireplaces. Given the home designs and the location, I would expect fireplaces to be far more common. Around here, many lakefront (and riverfront) homes have fireplaces. It just goes with living on the water . . .

Even a barbecue grill on the deck that I can drag inside the kitchen and use to cook would be handy!

2 hours ago, hauteecolerider said:

Even a barbecue grill on the deck that I can drag inside the kitchen and use to cook would be handy!

Careful. Indoor BBQs are a great way to fade into the long dark of carbon monoxide poisoning O.o

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

Careful. Indoor BBQs are a great way to fade into the long dark of carbon monoxide poisoning O.o

This. Any kind of indoor fire without a proper exhaust is, in the best case, a rather effective method of suicide. This is also why almost all indoor stoves have exhaust pipes. The fire barrels don't really count to that because they're much more open, which practically guarantees comblete combusion into ashes and CO2.

Of course! I forgot about that, thanks!

In that case, why are there so many decks and no BBQ's to be found? Why oh why can't I grill up some venison out on that patio?

My own Weber grill spends the winter outside on my patio. Covered, of course. But I keep a propane tank in it ready to go, in case it warms up in January. And it has . . .

1 hour ago, hauteecolerider said:

Of course! I forgot about that, thanks!

In that case, why are there so many decks and no BBQ's to be found? Why oh why can't I grill up some venison out on that patio?

My own Weber grill spends the winter outside on my patio. Covered, of course. But I keep a propane tank in it ready to go, in case it warms up in January. And it has . . .

Heck with that! I've made steaks in -20C! Mmm, grilled meat! The trick is waiting enough for the BBQ to warm up and keeping it out of the wind! :crosseye:

Heh heh.

When I was speaking of warming up, I meant warm enough to stand outside bundled up warming my bare hands over the fire.

So yeah, the grill is on the lee side of the house, under the deck (we have a second floor deck here) and it's great at -20C! (-4F to Norte Americanos)

Well, a proper Weber Grill can operate in pretty much any weather outside of rainstorms and blizzards (my cousin owns one and I'm mad jealous), so they'd be a pretty worthwhile addition along with charcoal. Now that I think about it, he also has a smoker - can we get one of those too?

6 hours ago, Wastelander said:

Well, a proper Weber Grill can operate in pretty much any weather outside of rainstorms and blizzards (my cousin owns one and I'm mad jealous), so they'd be a pretty worthwhile addition along with charcoal. Now that I think about it, he also has a smoker - can we get one of those too?

Now that would be an interesting exterior addition to your shelter. I don't know how to make one personally but it is definitely something that you can craft on your own.

With all the vacation homes on Coastal Highway, you should be able to find at least one decent grill sitting on one of those decks. Such a grill can be easily converted to a wood burning stove/oven once all the propane is gone, or, in the case of charcoal grills, just go and throw in a pile of sticks and fire up! The grates alone would be invaluable!

I think this is one little detail the devs have missed. Sure, it doesn't really change the gameplay, but it sure adds to the atmosphere! Having grown up in a lakeside community, all these houses are super familiar to me. Maybe that's why I like CH so much - it reminds me of my childhood home. And most of the lakeside homes started out as summer homes, and many of them (at least 60%, in my opinion) have fireplaces, and nearly all of them have BBQ grills sitting outside or parked in the garages.

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

Now that would be an interesting exterior addition to your shelter. I don't know how to make one personally but it is definitely something that you can craft on your own.

Well, the simplest ones you can buy are nothing more than a metal bowl with a grillage above. During my punk years, these things were easily improvised by parking a shopping cart over an open fire, just to give you a in idea of how simple it can get.

Archived