Constellations

Mentalpatient

oh, just to clarify, with my previous comment, i meant i was looking at the stars in game. i know plenty of real life constellations, but i saw the constellation i mentioned in-game :)

and i'm sure i'd be able to find it again. if i can figure out just what direction it's facing, i'll see if i can take a screenshot of it and let yall know :D

This idé is good. If you would be trapped in the woods you could look up the northern star and use it as help. A scope on the rifle is a very good idé especially for hunting on longer distances or just zooming in to use it like bionuclars. It should be rare and not repair able.

Considering constellations, how widespread is this knowledge nowadays? I assume a bush pilot would know, considering the possibility of having to fly without instruments. Personally, I'm happy when I identify the north star correctly, and I took astronomy as an elective last semester (mind you, I failed). Are there any comprehensive guides any of the main characters could have read?

Most people have heard of the big and little dipper. The big dipper (Ursa Major) points to the little dipper (Ursa Minor) which contains Polaris (the North Star) in it's constellation. I think it's fairly common knowledge...?

18 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Most people have heard of the big and little dipper. The big dipper (Ursa Major) points to the little dipper (Ursa Minor) which contains Polaris (the North Star) in it's constellation. I think it's fairly common knowledge...?

Heard of them - yeah. Seen them - no. I have the misfortune of being a city dweller :D

An accurate (rotated) pattern of stars in a clear night and a realistic Sun are great for a "realistic" feeling in this game. For Navigate i don't need it. In a clar night i have enough landmarks so I'm not go's lost. But i love this idea. +1 (Hobby Astronom) The lack of Light pollution problem...  the Northstar was used since thousands of year's to navigate. You are see MUCH more stars, but all (today) visible stars are MUCH brighter.

The scope i don't like it. Realistic you need to calibrate it (waste of ammo) and one "hit" with the rifle and you can calibrate again.

PS: I'm a Bow hunter. :-P

It would make sense to include a rifle scope in the game if it allowed you to finally shoot more than 50 m. Plus a well cared for rifle shouldn't have the scope lose accuracy in the time scale of the game. You'll likely run out of cartridges before your scope needs adjusting again.

• 5 weeks later...

I was about to post my wish for a better night sky, then I found this post, so I thought I would bump it.

I'm also voting for a proper starry night sky implemented in TLD:

- it would add to the beauty of the scenery (twinkling stars, milky way)
- it would help with navigation on clear nights

On 5/26/2016 at 9:39 PM, Tbone555 said:

navigation by stars remains a very useful navigation tool. any survivalist know how to locate the north star at least. if youre lost in the woods in the middle of the night, it can be the difference between life or death, knowing which direction youre heading in.

have you ever been hunting? i find a scope preeeetty useful on the old 30-30. its not like he's asking for a tactical laser scope with a fully auto trigger modifier, extended mag and silencer. many many many people use scopes for hunting and just target practicing.

love the name, mentalpatient, and im in agreement with these suggestions. welcome to the forums, friend! :)

How about some astronomy book in the game so we can learn navigation?^_^
it will be good.

I love the idea of pretty stars and constellations. It would be great to have a wonderful night sky. I personally dont get lost in the hinterland frozen world. I have managed to understand each area of the map enough to get around without any compass. I am not sure i would use the stars to navigate BUT i do think the night sky could look even more pretty. Although the continuous and reliable style of the graphics, the painted artistic look should never be lost and tiny stars might struggle in that style.

A scope would be nice, even if its not a powerful one. Just enough to see down into an area of the map. Even just to zoom a little into a town or up a ridge to a hut and see if there is any movement. This could be attached to the rifle or separate. :) 

welcome Mental and good ideas.

• 2 months later...

Archived