Im dead because I dont have a bedroll

simarson

I'm down the new pit in Revine with the climbing rope. When down there I see I forgot my bear bedroll in the dame. I need sleep so I'm dead because I cant climb up again. There is a cave and a train down her and in real-life I could sleep in the snow near a fire in my wolf and deer cloth. Its broken.

We need a way to sleep without a bedroll. Especially now with these situations. Dead ends.

Simon

Drop everything you have to below 15kg weight, drink all the coffee you have in one go, and inject yourself with emergency stim. You might make it?

I did exactly the same thing, and had the exact same thought about sleeping in the rail carriage or the cave. In a way I like that the ravine basin a death-trap for the unprepared... but on the other hand it breaks immersion to be killed by exhaustion because the game tells you you can't sleep on the floor.

@Pillock's advices are really good ones. If you have an emergency stim (or several cups of coffee), both are great means to get you up that rope again. It's definitely a good idea to always carry around 2 packages of coffee and a stimpak for exactly such unlucky situations. :normal:

Apart from that.. well, it's a painful lesson to learn, but one should always carry around a sleeping bag in TLD. Especially when discovering unfamiliar new areas. Well, I guess it might also be a solution of the current "ravine death trap" problem if the devs placed a bedroll inside the cave.^^

20 minutes ago, Scyzara said:

@Pillock's advices are really good ones. If you have an emergency stim (or several cups of coffee), both are great means to get you up that rope again. It's definitely a good idea to always carry around 2 packages of coffee and a stimpak for exactly such unlucky situations. :normal:

Apart from that.. well, it's a painful lesson to learn, but one should always carry around a sleeping bag in TLD. Especially when discovering unfamiliar new areas. Well, I guess it might also be a solution of the current "ravine death trap" problem if the devs placed a bedroll inside the cave.^^

Four cups of coffee and a stim didn't get me back up the rope: I fell off before the ledge, losing 90% of my condition, then died of exhaustion in the bottom. But, I didn't lighten my load enough, so maybe I would have been OK if I'd been cleverer. (In fact, on thinking about it, you don't want to use the stim before starting the climb: it's a very long way and the stim will wear off before you finish it; at that point you'll be instantly exhausted and are sure to fall.)

"Ravine death trap" is not a problem. If you think it through first, or you're always well prepared for the unknown, then you don't die there from being unable to climb out. Only if you take liberties with your kit or you make misjudgements, as both simarson and I did, do you come a cropper down there. The devs don't need to bail us out by leaving extra bedrolls lying around - it's the player's mistake if they get stuck in the basin, and they are punished for it (albeit more harshly than usual in this case). But that's the game.

Edit: The wider point, though, is this: should we be able to regain some fatigue loss by sleeping outside of a bedroll? Intuitively, that's what you'd do; but the game doesn't allow it, which can cause the player to blame the game mechanics rather than his own mistakes.

Yup ..... That's a long climb..  Looks like the same distance as the summit climb. Almost didn't make it out of there myself!

Also, don't forget to use the ledges...... you don't have to make the climb all in one attempt!

3 minutes ago, Pillock said:

"Ravine death trap" is not a problem. If you think it through first, or you're always well prepared for the unknown, then you don't die there from being unable to climb out. Only if you take liberties with your kit or you make misjudgements, as both simarson and I did, do you come a cropper down there.

I'm just asking out of curiosity: Is the rope already attached to the rock in the Ravine in Voyageur mode? For in Stalker, you have to go to ML (or anywhere else) and fetch a rope, so a certain degree of "planning the trip" happens more or less automatically.^^

Good to know that the climb can actually be THAT long and exhausting. I had assumed (based on my own experiences) that a stim should be sufficient to reach the ledge and some coffees for the rest of the way. But I did the climb fully rested and unemcumbered myself, so my character didn't have any problems and my subjective perception of the climb wasn't troublesome at all. Guess I need to stop making assumptions and better test everything first.:big_smile:

1 minute ago, Scyzara said:

I'm just asking out of curiosity: Is the rope already attached to the rock in the Ravine in Voyageur mode? For in Stalker, you have to go to ML (or anywhere else) and fetch a rope, so a certain degree of "planning the trip" happens more or less automatically.^^

Good to know that the climb can actually be THAT long and exhausting. I had assumed (based on my own experiences) that a stim should be sufficient to reach the ledge and some coffees for the rest of the way. But I did the climb fully rested and unemcumbered myself, so my character didn't have any problems and my subjective perception of the climb wasn't troublesome at all. Guess I need to stop making assumptions and better test everything first.:big_smile:

No, you have to find a rope in Voyageur as well.

I agree, planning the trip probably should happen more or less automatically...

19 hours ago, simarson said:

I'm down the new pit in Revine with the climbing rope. When down there I see I forgot my bear bedroll in the dame. I need sleep so I'm dead because I cant climb up again. There is a cave and a train down her and in real-life I could sleep in the snow near a fire in my wolf and deer cloth. Its broken.

We need a way to sleep without a bedroll. Especially now with these situations. Dead ends.

Simon

Hello my name is Simon, and I died without my bedroll. Welcome to the Long Dark!

See my latest Adventures Here...

22 hours ago, Pillock said:

Drop everything you have to below 15kg weight, drink all the coffee you have in one go, and inject yourself with emergency stim. You might make it?

I did exactly the same thing, and had the exact same thought about sleeping in the rail carriage or the cave. In a way I like that the ravine basin a death-trap for the unprepared... but on the other hand it breaks immersion to be killed by exhaustion because the game tells you you can't sleep on the floor.

Thx Pillock. the emergency stim did the trick. Didnt have any coffee. Saved my ass.

12 hours ago, Pillock said:

No, you have to find a rope in Voyageur as well.

I agree, planning the trip probably should happen more or less automatically...

Haven't played the game in three days now. :shock:

But I did go down the Ravine. I used the climbing experience I gained exploring TWM in .302 and went there with just the clothes on my back, a knife and a hatchet, and food & stim. Definitely had the bedroll with me. I didn't know how long of a climb it was, or whether or not there was a resting ledge.

I was glad of that bedroll. Coming back up, I stopped and rested four hours on that ledge. It gave me enough fatigue to finish the climb and return home safely.

Note: Always lighten your load if climbing is anticipated; and never leave home without your bedroll. 

13 minutes ago, hauteecolerider said:

Haven't played the game in three days now. :shock:

But I did go down the Ravine. I used the climbing experience I gained exploring TWM in .302 and went there with just the clothes on my back, a knife and a hatchet, and food & stim. Definitely had the bedroll with me. I didn't know how long of a climb it was, or whether or not there was a resting ledge.

I was glad of that bedroll. Coming back up, I stopped and rested four hours on that ledge. It gave me enough fatigue to finish the climb and return home safely.

Note: Always lighten your load if climbing is anticipated; and never leave home without your bedroll. 

I still go out without bedroll sometimes. But never again if I'm not completely familiar with the area. I'm not sure I could sleep on that ledge, by the way - it's only a game, but it still gave me the willies, just standing on it!

3 hours ago, simarson said:

Thx Pillock. the emergency stim did the trick. Didnt have any coffee. Saved my ass.

You made it! Nice one.

On 4/30/2016 at 2:17 PM, simarson said:

Simon

Hello my name is Simon, and I died without my bedroll. Welcome to the Long Dark!

See my latest Adventures Here...

Wow back from the BRINK! way to go!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2016 at 2:04 AM, Nasdaq401 said:

Just an FYI for everyone if you didn't know, even if you don't have your bedroll with you, you are still able to sleep in cars via the radial menu 

Wow that's a new one for me.  Prior to v321 you definitely needed the bedroll to sleep in a car.  I didn't realize they dropped the requirement.

On 5/4/2016 at 2:04 AM, Nasdaq401 said:

Just an FYI for everyone if you didn't know, even if you don't have your bedroll with you, you are still able to sleep in cars via the radial menu 

Tested and sure enough this works.  Nice find. :)

That said I don't think there should be a way to rest without a bedroll at the bottom of the ravine.  We learn from our many deaths, and this one teaches a lot of key game mechanics.

• 2 weeks later...

Sleeping without a bedroll should be possible, but it should require you to make a shelter, or at the very least a nest of sorts to keep your body off the ground.

If you do not get your body off the ground with a ground cloth or a nest of tree branches or something, you will lose an absurd amount of heat from your body into the ground.  Wind chill can get pretty nasty, but cold earth will drain you of heat absurdly fast as well, even if the air temperature is fine.

For example, you can die of hypothermia in water that is 70 degrees F.  And you will lose heat even faster if you touch stone, though you aren't immersed in said stone.

Archived