[ Spoilers ] COASTAL HIGHWAY Discussion: Where do you like to live best?

My favorite spot to survive by far on CH is the fishing cabins. Not a lot of stress. Only 1 wolf to contend with, and a bear that shows up every couple of days to wonder through camp.

There is an outside crafting table, all the storage you need, but my favorite part is the nearby fishing hut on the lake.

Even in the worst possible storms that would keep you inside all day at other locations, you can still find your way to the fishing hut for a day of ice fishing and get food!

Just be sure to have it stalked with firewood for those extra cold mornings. It's by far one of the easiest places I've found so far to survive.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/17/2016 at 9:54 PM, cowboymrh said:

My favorite spot to survive by far on CH is the fishing cabins. Not a lot of stress. Only 1 wolf to contend with, and a bear that shows up every couple of days to wonder through camp.

There is an outside crafting table, all the storage you need, but my favorite part is the nearby fishing hut on the lake.

Even in the worst possible storms that would keep you inside all day at other locations, you can still find your way to the fishing hut for a day of ice fishing and get food!

Just be sure to have it stalked with firewood for those extra cold mornings. It's by far one of the easiest places I've found so far to survive.

I might have to give that place a shot now that I see rabbits in the nearby clearing with the downed tree (up over the hill).

On 4/21/2016 at 3:19 AM, MueckE said:

For me the best place in CH is the trailer south-west of the mine to PV. Why it is the best place? Because it is the shortest distance to leave Coastal Highway :)

(sorry, i had to :p)

CH isn't my favorite map either, but I think it's not bad. I still prefer Mystery Lake at this point :)

58 minutes ago, Vhalkyrie said:

If I had to live on CH, I would live in the Coastal House between the waterfront houses and gas station.  Really like the view up there.  it's kind of my unofficial home as I pass through there anyway.

The view there is nice :)

I'm having a decent time living at the Rabbit Grove. I haven't encountered any wolves right outside the door...yet.

Coastal Highway doesn't really have a perfect place to stay like most of the other maps do.  The Gas Station would be it if the wolves weren't there a lot (about 80% of the time last time I played Voyager on that map, but that was years ago and I don't know if that's changed because I only just arrived there in this voyager playthrough).  There's a house above the coastal village that's pretty good, because it's away from where the wolves are and has great storage, but it's got no fireplace and no crafting table, so you've got to go down to the gas station anyway for those.  Currently, I'm hanging out on Jackrabbit Island, but it lacks a fireplace and workbench.  The lack of a fireplace I can deal with, just go outside and start a fire, but the nearest workbench also tends to have wolves patrolling it, so that's a risk.  I considered going to the Misanthrope's homestead, but there's a bear there, so that's suddenly much less favorable.  And all the other interior locations either lack storage or are too far out of the way.

To me, Coastal Highway is a map that mainly forces you to make decisions about what you are willing to live with/without.  Can you live with dodging wolves all the time?  Gas station.  Can you live without a fireplace and easy/safe access to a workbench?  Probably Jackrabbit Island.  Can you live basically without anything or, alternatively, are you completely mad?  Why not try the abandoned lookout?  Do you want to have everything within easy reach and not be terribly challenged once you find your groove?  I recommend Mystery Lake.

16 minutes ago, RJ_Dalton said:

Do you want to have everything within easy reach and not be terribly challenged once you find your groove?  I recommend Mystery Lake.

The best place to live on the Coastal Highway: Mystery Lake :big_smile:

Coastal House, I'm currently living there and even though you don't have a fireplace or a crafting station, that place is very peaceful and wolves do not spawn close enough to attack you on the island. (at least most of the time)

And, if you need some indoor fire, you can just hop into the other Coastal House.

7 hours ago, Raf109 said:

Coastal House, I'm currently living there and even though you don't have a fireplace or a crafting station, that place is very peaceful and wolves do not spawn close enough to attack you on the island. (at least most of the time)

And, if you need some indoor fire, you can just hop into the other Coastal House.

It sounds a lot like the little cabin at the Rabbit Grove that I'm staying at.

What do you normally eat there? 

Just now, Wasteland Watcher said:

It sounds a lot like the little cabin at the Rabbit Grove that I'm staying at.

What do you normally eat there? 

I have a plain view of the wolves and deer surrounding the area. I have seen a couple of rabbits running around my house too, though I haven't used any snares yet.

And today I saw a group of 2-3 deer by Log Sort. I have around 20+ rifle ammo so yeah...

17 minutes ago, Raf109 said:

I have a plain view of the wolves and deer surrounding the area. I have seen a couple of rabbits running around my house too, though I haven't used any snares yet.

And today I saw a group of 2-3 deer by Log Sort. I have around 20+ rifle ammo so yeah...

It sounds like a decent spot.  How far do you have to walk to the nearest crafting station? 

I have to walk about 50 "game minutes" to the outdoor workbench.

Also, is there somewhere near your shelter that's completely covered from the wind so you can cook without fear of the fire being blown out?

4 minutes ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

It sounds like a decent spot.  How far do you have to walk to the nearest crafting station? 

I have to walk about 50 "game minutes" to the outdoor workbench.

Also, is there somewhere near your shelter that's completely covered from the wind so you can cook without fear of the fire being blown out?

Coastal House is on Jackrabbit Island, so it's just a short walk to the same workbench at the fishing camp you're currently using.

I've currently settled at the Gas Station, but that was a decision I made because I went from ML to CH first, then back to PV and TM, so I still needed to pillage Desolation Point and wasn't sure how useful being close to the forge was going to be. Now that I've been and realize I'll not need to hit the forge again for a long time, I think I'd rather be living back at the farm in PV. I just don't want to haul everything back now. Took me ten or twelve trips to haul everything from PV over to CH and I already had stuff over there, so there would be more to go back, even factoring in leaving some of the tools behind.

12 minutes ago, SteelFire said:

Coastal House is on Jackrabbit Island, so it's just a short walk to the same workbench at the fishing camp you're currently using.

I've currently settled at the Gas Station, but that was a decision I made because I went from ML to CH first, then back to PV and TM, so I still needed to pillage Desolation Point and wasn't sure how useful being close to the forge was going to be. Now that I've been and realize I'll not need to hit the forge again for a long time, I think I'd rather be living back at the farm in PV. I just don't want to haul everything back now. Took me ten or twelve trips to haul everything from PV over to CH and I already had stuff over there, so there would be more to go back, even factoring in leaving some of the tools behind.

Wow, sounds like a big old pain in the butt! 

Seriously that's some really good info though, thanks! 

When I move to Pleasant Valley to scavenge everything, I plan not to take anything  with me except for the bare essentials and leave everything at my cabin at the Rabbit Grove. 

After I've completely explored (Scavenged) Pleasant Valley, Timberwolf mountain, and Desolation Point  Will make the final decision on where to finally settle down. 

Of course, this is after bringing every single piece of scrap metal I find over to Desolation Point to make a bunch of knives and hatchets. 

I've never been to the forge but I hear you can make tools there. 

Since my strategy involves avoiding wolves all the time (at pretty much any cost),  lots of extra knives and hatchets will help me live the longest I think. 

Originally I intended to live near the Unnamed Pond cabin and Forestry Outlook just going back-and-forth between the two.  There are a lot of rabbits near the Unnamed Pond as well as wolves and Deer.  And I just love the view from the Forestry Outlook. :)

I've only spent a little bit of time in Pleasant Valley and find it "just OK."

I might change my mind after completely exploring it but from what I've seen so far has me liking every other map better. 

I really like the rustic feel of Timberwolf Mountain though. 

That might end up being the spot.

Archived