[ Spoilers ] COASTAL HIGHWAY Discussion: Where do you like to live best?

The title says it all: where on Coastal Highway do you like to live? What do you like about that place?
And finally, is it a good place to live for a long term game (>2000 days)?

edit:

I forgot to add--interested in Voyageur & Stalker modes.

My sincere apologies to hauteecolerider for neglecting to add that in my original post.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my Pilgrim play through, the little shoreline cottage directly across the road from the Quonset Gas Station was intact, so I dropped my bedroll there and parked my gear. I used the Quonset for curing hides, crafting items, and basically all the stuff that needs a work table or just plain work. I kept food, water, firewood and first aid in the cottage. It was nice because there was a fishing hut directly south of it off shore, and once I marked that fishing hut with stick arrows, I could find my way across the ice in thick fog. Sometimes I would just stand on the dock and watch deer move through the fog. 

With all the wildlife on the ice, I practiced my bow hunting skills and snared rabbits on Jackrabbit Island. 

Gas station.

Plenty of room, fire barrel, crafting table, bed. Full set.

On a downside its rather far from center of the map. Fortunately its compensated by the fact that there arent that much poi on the southern side of the map, with about 70% of everything of value being in the north, close to my HQ.

And wolves. On stalker i once saw 6 of them as the same time in vicinity of gas station. But they are not that hard to avoid, especially with abundance of houses to hide in. Sometimes it feels like war and bombardment, when i make short runs from house to house till i get in the clear.

For final permanent settlement i use farmhouse in PV. Since i dont fish its perfect, complimented with small rabbit spawn point about 50m east from it.

Jackrabbit Island is a great place to settle down for leaderboard runs. Wolves hardly ever climb up the hill, but there's plenty of both wolves and deer (and fishing huts!) around the Island. It's thus easy to get deer meat for free and save ammunition and medicine. Snaring rabbits and going fishing are also some nice alternatives to get your daily calories. A place that allows some variation of playstyle is pretty much essential imo if one doesn't want to abort his/her game out of boredom sooner or later.

The only real long-term disadvantage of JR Island is the lack of a crafting table. But let's be honest, making a trip to Quonset every 100 days or so to craft some new fur clothes is really no big issue. I personally rather found these trips to be some welcome change from my daily routines back in the days when I lived on JR Island.

Coastal Highway isn't my favorite map.  There isn't really anywhere that I consider to be what I'm looking for in a long term shelter.  The only place that I really like to live there is the Abandoned Outpost because it has a stove (and views!).  Jackrabbit Island isn't bad, but lack of stove is the real drawback for me.  I don't mind that there isn't a workbench because by this stage of my game (Day 125), I'm not really crafting much.  If I need to make arrows or fishing line, the short walk to the Fishing Camp isn't bad.  I only loot Gas Station, then never go back there.  There's a house on the Waterfront Cottages that I like that has a fireplace, but there are a couple of wolves that patrol there, and the bear on Misanthrope's passes through there also.  Waterfront Cottages is very far from the center, though, which is important for some people.  

CH is pretty much only a passing through map for me.

1 hour ago, Vhalkyrie said:

Ditto. I'll stay in the gas station or jackrabbit island but I'm only on the coastal highway if I'm heading to somewhere else. Now that Mystery Lake and Pleasant Valley are directly connected I haven't been to the coastal highway in either of my current playthroughs.

7 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Gas station.

Plenty of room, fire barrel, crafting table, bed. Full set.

On a downside its rather far from center of the map. Fortunately its compensated by the fact that there arent that much poi on the southern side of the map, with about 70% of everything of value being in the north, close to my HQ.

And wolves. On stalker i once saw 6 of them as the same time in vicinity of gas station. But they are not that hard to avoid, especially with abundance of houses to hide in. Sometimes it feels like war and bombardment, when i make short runs from house to house till i get in the clear.

For final permanent settlement i use farmhouse in PV. Since i dont fish its perfect, complimented with small rabbit spawn point about 50m east from it.

Oh man the gas Station?! There's two wolves in Voyageur patrolling there. Kind of a pain in the neck. But 6!! I don't think I'd ever go there except to loot the kitchens and convenience store and bring stuff home. 
Yea you can fight them off every few days but man will it wreck havoc on your clothes, not to mention bandage & meds supply. For a long term run ...I don't know about the Gas Station.

6 hours ago, Scyzara said:

Jackrabbit Island is a great place to settle down for leaderboard runs. Wolves hardly ever climb up the hill, but there's plenty of both wolves and deer (and fishing huts!) around the Island. It's thus easy to get deer meat for free and save ammunition and medicine. Snaring rabbits and going fishing are also some nice alternatives to get your daily calories. A place that allows some variation of playstyle is pretty much essential imo if one doesn't want to abort his/her game out of boredom sooner or later.

The only real long-term disadvantage of JR Island is the lack of a crafting table. But let's be honest, making a trip to Quonset every 100 days or so to craft some new fur clothes is really no big issue. I personally rather found these trips to be some welcome change from my daily routines back in the days when I lived on JR Island.

Seems like Jackrabbit Island is the "default best home" on CH place by the Developer's.  Lack of a crafting table really isn't an issue after the fur clothes are made, so for long-term runs I really only care about having a bed and storage. 
And like you, I enjoy the "need" to walk to the nearby fishing village to use the outdoor crafting table :) 
Sometimes wolves patrol there and I've seen a bear as well. But I just stayed crouched as I crafted and everyone minded their own business so no problem :)

4 hours ago, Vhalkyrie said:

Coastal Highway isn't my favorite map.  There isn't really anywhere that I consider to be what I'm looking for in a long term shelter.  The only place that I really like to live there is the Abandoned Outpost because it has a stove (and views!).  Jackrabbit Island isn't bad, but lack of stove is the real drawback for me.  I don't mind that there isn't a workbench because by this stage of my game (Day 125), I'm not really crafting much.  If I need to make arrows or fishing line, the short walk to the Fishing Camp isn't bad.  I only loot Gas Station, then never go back there.  There's a house on the Waterfront Cottages that I like that has a fireplace, but there are a couple of wolves that patrol there, and the bear on Misanthrope's passes through there also.  Waterfront Cottages is very far from the center, though, which is important for some people.  

It's not my favorite map either though I've been on it 40 game days now (and got the Explorer achievement :) ) . I am kind of considering the Rabbit Grove cabin for a long-term shelter. Instant nourishment outside, a warm bed a plenty of storage inside. I found a cave near the train tracks that's only a 30-game-minute walk from the cabin where I can make a fire that stays lit even in blizzards.
For crafting I just head to the nearby fishing village's external workbench on decent days. It's actually a pretty good life and the only real drawback I see is that it's far (like 3 hour walk far) from the broken up highway.

3 hours ago, cekivi said:

Ditto. I'll stay in the gas station or jackrabbit island but I'm only on the coastal highway if I'm heading to somewhere else. Now that Mystery Lake and Pleasant Valley are directly connected I haven't been to the coastal highway in either of my current playthroughs.

Again the Gas Station! Just out of curiosity how long (average) do your Voyageur and Stalker sandboxes last?

1 hour ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

Again the Gas Station! Just out of curiosity how long (average) do your Voyageur and Stalker sandboxes last?

I have a 200+ day Voyager run that I still go back and play from time to time. Maybe about 50 of that was in the Gas Station? Mind you this save is really old. Like pre-difficulty settings old. So, while I assumed it would be Voyager I don't know if it would actually be easier or harder :)

Like @Dirmagnos said though, the wolves are not that hard to avoid. Just run out a door, draw them to you, then leave using the opposite door. Plenty of shelters nearby to hop between in case you get spotted. Annoying but manageable. The worst though is when a bear spawns out back and charges you... When that happens I just go back to bed! :big_smile:

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

I have a 200+ day Voyager run that I still go back and play from time to time. Maybe about 50 of that was in the Gas Station? Mind you this save is really old. Like pre-difficulty settings old. So, while I assumed it would be Voyager I don't know if it would actually be easier or harder :)

Like @Dirmagnos said though, the wolves are not that hard to avoid. Just run out a door, draw them to you, then leave using the opposite door. Plenty of shelters nearby to hop between in case you get spotted. Annoying but manageable. The worst though is when a bear spawns out back and charges you... When that happens I just go back to bed! :big_smile:

Good tips -- thanks!
I'll use that whenever I pass through that town :)

It's easiest to draw the wolves to the front door of the gas station, go back inside, and quickly exit out the back. You can usually get away without being spotted and then you can head inland for hunting, trapping, or scavenging. Do the opposite if you want to go fishing :) 

11 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

Yea you can fight them off every few days but man will it wreck havoc on your clothes, not to mention bandage & meds supply. For a long term run ...I don't know about the Gas Station.

I hate action button emulated on Ctrl in addition to mouse(since tapping it is far faster than mouse button) and if you fight them off fast enough then they deal 15-20% of damage and its a good bet that you wont get bleeding nor lose much of clothing durability(if any).

8 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

I hate action button emulated on Ctrl in addition to mouse(since tapping it is far faster than mouse button) and if you fight them off fast enough then they deal 15-20% of damage and its a good bet that you wont get bleeding nor lose much of clothing durability(if any).

I've got my "fight" button mapped to the spacebar. It works well for me. Often I come out unscathed. Still, occasionally I'll get a bite or torn clothes and I really hate that.

I've got my "fight" button mapped to the spacebar. It works well for me. Often I come out unscathed. Still, occasionally I'll get a bite or torn clothes and I really hate that.

That's a really good idea - I'm not keen on the mouse clicking wear (now I hope I don't get myself killed when I forget that I remapped it!).  I also really hate torn clothes.

I really like the waterfront cottages - particularly the one with the flag and the porch.  While there's no workbench, there is plenty of wood, a fireplace, ample storage and the goofy bear just walks right by - you can shoot it with arrows - 2 seems to do it, one if you're lucky.  There are rabbits and two wolves, not 3 like the gas station.  Plus the wolves get confused by the porch like the bear - so you can shoot them with arrows.  And the house has 2 doors.  That being said... I'm only on this map for the loot and to pause after collecting coal from DP - back to PV or ML soon as I get what I need.

A fireplace or stove is pretty much a must-have for me in a "home".  I don't live on CH, but if I had to, I would also choose the Waterfront Cottage house.   The only other houses on the map with a fireplace/stove are the Gas Station and the house near the Gas Station.  I might consider living on CH longer term if the house on Jackrabbit Island had an indoor stove.

Interesting that most seem to only pass through CH.  Lots of people are very attached to Trappers/Camp Office in ML, or the Farmhouse in PV, but there's no concensus fan favorite in CH.  Interesting.

1 minute ago, Vhalkyrie said:

A fireplace or stove is pretty much a must-have for me in a "home".  I don't live on CH, but if I had to, I would also choose the Waterfront Cottage house.   The only other houses on the map with a fireplace/stove are the Gas Station and the house near the Gas Station.  I might consider living on CH longer term if the house on Jackrabbit Island had an indoor stove.

Interesting that most seem to only pass through CH.  Lots of people are very attached to Trappers/Camp Office in ML, or the Farmhouse in PV, but almost no one is a fan favorite of CH.  Interesting.

I would be a bigger fan if it was less of a clausterphobic wolf petting zoo.  And while it has its moments, the scenery is just prettier in ML and PV. :)  In PV my favorite is draft dodger cabin inspite of the lack of a stove.  

On 4/3/2016 at 10:16 AM, Jolan said:

I really like the waterfront cottages - particularly the one with the flag and the porch.  While there's no workbench, there is plenty of wood, a fireplace, ample storage and the goofy bear just walks right by - you can shoot it with arrows - 2 seems to do it, one if you're lucky.  There are rabbits and two wolves, not 3 like the gas station.  Plus the wolves get confused by the porch like the bear - so you can shoot them with arrows.  And the house has 2 doors.  That being said... I'm only on this map for the loot and to pause after collecting coal from DP - back to PV or ML soon as I get what I need.

Sounds like a decent spot to live. I imagine that you hunt the local wolves about every three days?

On 4/3/2016 at 10:25 AM, Vhalkyrie said:

Interesting that most seem to only pass through CH.  Lots of people are very attached to Trappers/Camp Office in ML, or the Farmhouse in PV, but there's no concensus fan favorite in CH.  Interesting.

If you find an outdoor spot that completely blocks wind, a stove is no longer necessary. I've found such a spot near the Rabbit Grove cabin and have settled there. It's an easy place to live.

On 4/3/2016 at 10:50 AM, cekivi said:

The Coastal Highway Resort: we guarantee to burn those calories and sculpt that bod with your very own quadrupedal workout partner! :silly:

Haha :D that's another of the many benefits to living in the most "active" area on Coastal Highway

Sounds like a decent spot to live. I imagine that you hunt the local wolves about every three days?

If you find an outdoor spot that completely blocks wind, a stove is no longer necessary. I've found such a spot near the Rabbit Grove cabin and have settled there. It's an easy place to live.

Haha :D that's another of the many benefits to living in the most "active" area on Coastal Highway

at the water front cottages I hunt wolves every 3 days or so - depending on whether I get giddy and shoot a bear.  There's also bunnies and deer near by.  The wolves at waterfront aren't as agressive as the ones near the quonsett hut so you can stagger the hunt and there are only 2 of them.  And the fishing hut nearest is a good place to get salmon.  Though evidently its buggy.  In truth - the only reason I headed out the last time was to start mounting an expedition to Timberwolve mtn. :) And because I was bored having a full stomach (evidently).

2 hours ago, Jolan said:

at the water front cottages I hunt wolves every 3 days or so - depending on whether I get giddy and shoot a bear.  There's also bunnies and deer near by.  The wolves at waterfront aren't as agressive as the ones near the quonsett hut so you can stagger the hunt and there are only 2 of them.  And the fishing hut nearest is a good place to get salmon.  Though evidently its buggy.  In truth - the only reason I headed out the last time was to start mounting an expedition to Timberwolve mtn. :) And because I was bored having a full stomach (evidently).

Definitely sounds like a "table full of food" spot :)
I stopped fishing once I did the calories per kilogram comparison of fish meat against rabbit meat so now preferential to places with rabbits as close to shelter as possible.
In all honesty I don't think I can live forever on rabbits alone, but I'll see how long it goes well.
I'll probably just live off of rabbit meat supplemented by stolen venison.

4 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

It's still necessary for me.  I find a sheltered side of the building if I have to, but it's not my preference.  I'd rather have it indoors so I don't have to go in and out for stuff.  Plus you don't get a house warmth bonus for an indoor fire.

55 minutes ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

Definitely sounds like a "table full of food" spot :)
I stopped fishing once I did the calories per kilogram comparison of fish meat against rabbit meat so now preferential to places with rabbits as close to shelter as possible.
In all honesty I don't think I can live forever on rabbits alone, but I'll see how long it goes well.
I'll probably just live off of rabbit meat supplemented by stolen venison.

I fish because it gives me something to do while I'm wandering back and forth.  But I can see where you would prefer reliable calories.  Salmon don't show up that often so its not all the time you can get 1500+ calorie fish.

Archived