[ Spoilers ] COASTAL HIGHWAY Discussion: Where do you like to live best?

52 minutes ago, Vhalkyrie said:

It's still necessary for me.  I find a sheltered side of the building if I have to, but it's not my preference.  I'd rather have it indoors so I don't have to go in and out for stuff.  Plus you don't get a house warmth bonus for an indoor fire.

Due to the way the wind changes direction, the side of a building is (for me) an awful choice to cook/boil water.

The outside place I'm referring to near the Rabbit Grove is shielded from wind on all sides!  I've cooked for hours even during blizzards, naked, no problem at all :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Jolan said:

I fish because it gives me something to do while I'm wandering back and forth.  But I can see where you would prefer reliable calories.  Salmon don't show up that often so its not all the time you can get 1500+ calorie fish.

1500 is a good amount of calories. The best thing about fish (for me) is that it only takes 20 minutes to cook one regardless of size.
It'd take an hour to cook three 1kg pieces of venison, equaling roughly 1500 calories. But that large, 1500 calorie fish cooks in just 20 minutes! So I guess that's where the payoff is.
I wonder how many kilograms that 1500 calorie fish weighed?

7 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

1500 is a good amount of calories. The best thing about fish (for me) is that it only takes 20 minutes to cook one regardless of size.
It'd take an hour to cook three 1kg pieces of venison, equaling roughly 1500 calories. But that large, 1500 calorie fish cooks in just 20 minutes! So I guess that's where the payoff is.
I wonder how many kilograms that 1500 calorie fish weighed?

Salmon is 300 calories per kg, so a 1500 calorie fish would be 5kg.

http://thelongdark.wikia.com/wiki/Coho_salmon_(raw)

I think fishing is great.  I have to wait 12 hours to catch a rabbit, then 2 hours to skin and gut it.  Fishing line is a very cheap tool, and I usually catch 2 fish an hour, which requires no ammo, and no knives or hatchet use.  At this point in my game, I'm particularly enjoying the no knife wear and the 7 minute cooking time!

23 minutes ago, Vhalkyrie said:

I think fishing is great.  I have to wait 12 hours to catch a rabbit, then 2 hours to skin and gut it.  Fishing line is a very cheap tool, and I usually catch 2 fish an hour, which requires no ammo, and no knives or hatchet use.  At this point in my game, I'm particularly enjoying the no knife wear and the 7 minute cooking time!

the only reason I don't fish more is the total comittment to an hour at a time - though its a good way to wait out a storm (assuming you have fuel).

12 hours ago, Vhalkyrie said:

Thanks for the hard number. I love that kind of data :)
I agree that the wait for rabbits is a bit long, but not unreasonably long. 
After I have 10 guts "in standby" and two~three rabbit pelts I only take the meat and leave the rest to rot.
If there's an "odd" amount of meat such as 1.2 kg of meat, I'll leave the 0.2 kg to rot unless I really need bait meat (I always have have two~three bait in stock).
I also pull the meat off by hand (about 30 minutes for 1 kg) to save my knife.

In the end, I think rabbits are a decent way to live "forever."  Though I love (and I mean LOVE ) eating fish as often as I can in real life (both cooked and raw) in The Long Dark it's a little too random for me to do regularly. Using scrap metal for making forged knives seems to me a more stable usage than one scrap metal for three hooks -- sometimes your line may break and brand new hooks are lost.

12 hours ago, Jolan said:

the only reason I don't fish more is the total comittment to an hour at a time - though its a good way to wait out a storm (assuming you have fuel).

I agree with this. I'd be happy if we could do it in 30 minute blocks instead of one hour minimum. 

7 hours ago, cekivi said:

I just like fishing because - as you may guess from my profile pic - it's something I enjoy doing :geek:

I love fish, and fishing as well. It's really too bad we cannot make bone hooks from deer, rabbit, wolf, and bear carcasses :/
If we could, I would definitely spend a lot more time fishing!

32 minutes ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

In the end, I think rabbits are a decent way to live "forever."  Though I love (and I mean LOVE ) eating fish as often as I can in real life (both cooked and raw) in The Long Dark it's a little too random for me to do regularly. Using scrap metal for making forged knives seems to me a more stable usage than one scrap metal for three hooks -- sometimes your line may break and brand new hooks are lost.

There soooo much metal I haven't even touched in the Hibernia Processing or Hydro Dam, I'm not worried about running out of metal at all.  Right now I'm subsisting off both rabbit and fish.  Fishing allows me to catch only what I need and not have a lot of excess - I have limited storage space in Timberwolf.  I have found fishing to be very consistent for me.  I can appreciate our experiences may be different.

I don't leave rabbits uncleaned because I heard that they won't respawn if there's still a corpse around.  Is that true?  That's one of the things that puts me off about rabbit trapping is I don't want or need any more rabbit pelts and guts, so it's unnecessary processing time.  If it's not true, then that may be more attractive.

4 minutes ago, Vhalkyrie said:

There soooo much metal I haven't even touched in the Hibernia Processing or Hydro Dam, I'm not worried about running out of metal at all.  Right now I'm subsisting off both rabbit and fish.  Fishing allows me to catch only what I need and not have a lot of excess - I have limited storage space in Timberwolf.  I have found fishing to be very consistent for me.  I can appreciate our experiences may be different.

I don't leave rabbits uncleaned because I heard that they won't respawn if there's still a corpse around.  Is that true?  That's one of the things that puts me off about rabbit trapping is I don't want or need any more rabbit pelts and guts, so it's unnecessary processing time.  If it's not true, then that may be more attractive.

I believe that it is true that rabbits don't respawn until the carcass is gone. I guess that's why I only catch one or two rabbits a day after the initial four are caught.

I do kind of stagger it: One trap set the first day, two the next, then three, and finally four.

Fishing...if only we could fashion hooks from the bones of rabbits, deer, wolves, and bears...

16 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

I believe that it is true that rabbits don't respawn until the carcass is gone. I guess that's why I only catch one or two rabbits a day after the initial four are caught.

I do kind of stagger it: One trap set the first day, two the next, then three, and finally four.

Fishing...if only we could fashion hooks from the bones of rabbits, deer, wolves, and bears...

I actually put bone hooks on an alpha wishlist a while back. Who knows? Maybe they'll appear on the roadmap one day :)

On 4/6/2016 at 2:55 AM, Wasteland Watcher said:

I believe that it is true that rabbits don't respawn until the carcass is gone.

I believe this is not true.

I'm certain I've caught rabbits in a reset snare while the previous (harvested) carcass is still lying there. You'd think the bunnies would see the growing pile of its friends' corpses and think, "Better not go over there!" But apparently not!

I'll add my vote to the Gas Station. For me, having all the tools and facilities you need in one place outweighs the inconvenience of the wolves. I just learn to tolerate them and make sure I always have plenty of torches with me.

Living there for a while got me wondering about a possible AI development for the future: having wolves 'get used to' your presence, if you remain in one place long enough and perhaps learn to accept you. Maybe you'd have to feed them scraps of meat or something. Alternatively, maybe it'd be possible to scare them off by leaving wolf pelts lying about outside? I guess this might remove/diminish some of the challenge of living there and make the game too easy? Probably it would be a very difficult thing to simulate accurately/believably in the AI programming, too. It would add a level of progression to the experience though.

I'm actually a little surprised at the number of people who actually like  the gas station as a home location. 

A very different playstyle than on my own.  It's very interesting to read about the strategies used for living there. :)

And thanks to the people for commenting on rabbit respawns.

That's actually a bit heartening  to know that I don't have to rely on a carcass to rot before a "new buddy" will hop along ;)

2 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

I'm actually a little surprised at the number of people who actually like  the gas station as a home location. 

I don't get it either. ;) While I can deal with the wolves, I don't particularly want to.

Same for me - the gas station brings back memories of my father's Sinclair. I remember all too well the smell of used oil, worn tires, and that ever-present Lava Soap that was wonderful for removing grease from your hands but horrific on your skin . . . Not exactly a place I'd want to sleep . . .

5 hours ago, hauteecolerider said:

Same for me - the gas station brings back memories of my father's Sinclair. I remember all too well the smell of used oil, worn tires, and that ever-present Lava Soap that was wonderful for removing grease from your hands but horrific on your skin . . . Not exactly a place I'd want to sleep . . .

I don't like living there, actually - even though I said earlier that I usually do when I'm on Coastal Highway. The problem I have with it (and this goes for the Hibernia Processing plant and the Hydro Dam as well) is that, for all the convenience it offers, it's just too dark and dingy inside. I like to live somewhere with a nice level of natural light during the day so that I can organise my stuff and do basic tasks without peering around in the gloom. Even when you learn the lay-out, and don't really need to see well to find your way about the place, it just feels better to have plenty of sunlight indoors. Perhaps this can be built into the "wellbeing" mechanic they are working on?

Even if I feel safe and secure and well stocked in these places, I usually move on sooner than later, purely for this reason.

47 minutes ago, hauteecolerider said:

OMG, I really, really hate Hibernia Processing!

In fact, the whole of Desolation Point was really depressing. Even though the lighthouse was charming, I couldn't wait to get back to CH.

That map is aptly named, thanks Hinterland!

I like to think Desolation Point has a kind of stark beauty on display along its frozen shores. Did you get to explore the Riken at all? :)

I don't hate the map. The Lighthouse in particular was very neat. I just dislike the direction Hinterland chose for lighting the interiors of the Riken and Hibernia. They're really cool settings... and you can't see a thing inside them! At least with the dam and areas on other maps you could usually at least see the hand in front of your face when exploring :)

1 hour ago, Patrick Carlson said:

I like to think Desolation Point has a kind of stark beauty on display along its frozen shores. Did you get to explore the Riken at all? :)

Yes, and it brought back memories of a certain mission in one of the earliest Rainbow Six games . . .

31 minutes ago, cekivi said:

I don't hate the map. The Lighthouse in particular was very neat. I just dislike the direction Hinterland chose for lighting the interiors of the Riken and Hibernia. They're really cool settings... and you can't see a thing inside them! At least with the dam and areas on other maps you could usually at least see the hand in front of your face when exploring :)

This. It didn't help that the sun never came out during the 5-7 days I spent there. :|

I think it's fine that the Riken and warehouse are dark inside - they would be. It doesn't make me want to stay there long, though.

I'm currently playing a DP start, about 2 weeks in. I'm desperate to get out of that place, but I want to finish off making some animal skin clothing before I depart, to save me lugging the hides through the mines. I've been everywhere in the area, I think - it's quite a small place - and there's just nothing left for me to look forward to except long days in a darkened workshop interspersed with a bit of wolf-dodging and rabbit butchering on my way back and forth from the lighthouse, where I prefer to sleep and store my gear.

I've found two rifles here, plenty of ammunition and even a working bow-and-arrow; I've forged arrowheads and an improvised hatchet; there's fuel aplenty and enough hunting to keep a man going. The place has provided for me well. On sunny, clear days the view from the top of the lighthouse lifts one's spirits a little...

But still I cannot wait to see the back of it. It's just so... desolate.

Archived