Has anyone Survived on the TM Stalker mode?

vancopower

I tried like 500 times, just can't make it out TM. there is absolutely no safe shelter there I just want to know has anyone started in TM and made it out to the other regions but don't tell me the way I want to find it for myself just some hints about how to survive long term without shelter would be nice :)

I haven´t started there myself, but i´d suggest finding the Crystal Lake as fast as possible right after you spawned. The Cabin there is the only safe shelter. It has a workbench, so I would craft good clothes and sleep in the numerous caves while exploring with a fire running through the night. This of course needs a sleeping bag, which hopefully spawns in the cabin, but i´m not sure. ;)

hard enough just to survive in pilgram mode. then once you get the lay of the land try harder modes :)

I think the only way to survive in stalker mode would be travelling to TM fully clothed, maybe with a rifle/amo. The you can easily survive in the stone cabin without freezing lol. the new axe/ whetstone also makes it harder as you can only chop limited amount of fir/cedar wood until you tools break. then your back to picking up sticks.

Starting in TM is very challenging (especially if you don't know the landscape yet), but definitely possible. I've done it in Stalker mode. Died about seven times within a few days during my first attempts, then the 8th attempt was sucessful.

I've written down some advices and explained how I personally chose my base (the long subterranean cave that leads from the echo ravine to the engine plateau) and how I managed my resources in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=9434 (see my second post)

Made it to the summit on the third attempt, after much struggle and ingame time.

After 600+ hours ingame, I love the challenge of starting out a new run up there.

It is so cold it's completely nuts some times. :)

However, there are enough sticks, mushrooms and rose hips scattered around that you are able to make tea that will warm you up just enough to get you over the next hill. Oddly satisfying doing it with only a +4C / +2C clothes bonus. Lucked out on the third attempt, and found the tranzition over to P. Valley. Grabbed some clothes there to get it to +15C /+10C, and returned hell bent to climb a mountain.

After countless hours and what seemed like evading a million wolfs and bears, I climbed the last rope yesterday. The feeling I got when I arrived at the summit was so worth it that I might never climb down again! :D

1. even if you come to the map prepared, with let say+23c and +16c clothing bonus, if storm hits in the middle of the night while at mountaineers hut, you will freeze to death without fire. Best safe bet is caves with loading screen because of constant temperature, i believe only -5c.

2. if you start in TM, only challenging start could be if you start farther from mountaineers hut. On my first try, i spawned ~9 hours of day time, close to hut, got knife, hatchet and hacksaw,, i went to 4 near by cargos (in total 8 compartments), and had ok clothing (not the best lootable) but it was ok, like ~10 and 5 bonus or so... had bunch of food.... all on 1st day. Died after 3 days because i didnt care... i literally had it going... could of made 100 days if i wanted. If map is partially known, and person knows mechanics in and out, its not that hard. There is always free food on crystal lake... i mean that deer, can be obtained without firing rifle or bow, without fighting a wolf... just running to the fishing hut or mountaineers hut.

1. even if you come to the map prepared, with let say+23c and +16c clothing bonus, if storm hits in the middle of the night while at mountaineers hut, you will freeze to death without fire. Best safe bet is caves with loading screen because of constant temperature, i believe only -5c...

Caves yes, that's it if only I could find one :) my main problem is firewood, yes I have a hatched but it is so cold that I would gain hypothermia before I harvest 1 limb and they are much further apart then on the other maps so firewood is scarce too in a way. I know it is hard to start you char. here but since the plane crashed on TM this is a place to start it goes well with the story :) I'll keep trying. Thanks to everyone.

If you go right to the tail section, you will survive with no major problems, You will find premium winter coat, pant, insulated boot, rifle, ammo, food, the flare gun, and at least one of each tool. Dressed like that, you can survive on the hut. On the way down, you can open the others containers.

From any spawn point, you can reach the top in 2 days, sleeping on the last cave and reaching the plane in the morning.

I started a few (3, I think) games there, and last to 40+ days, and my savegames died before I do...

If you go right to the tail section, you will survive with no major problems, You will find premium winter coat, pant, insulated boot, rifle, ammo, food, the flare gun, and at least one of each tool. Dressed like that, you can survive on the hut. On the way down, you can open the others containers.

From any spawn point, you can reach the top in 2 days, sleeping on the last cave and reaching the plane in the morning.

I started a few (3, I think) games there, and last to 40+ days, and my savegames died before I do...

I tried to do just that but halfway through the blizzard caught me and now I am tucked in a cave with only 3 sticks 1 torch and I am fading away quietly in to the long dark :)

I think its still kind of easy even on stalker. Dont even need to go to the tail section to make it.

Around hut there is 4 cargos, in total 8 sections, i'm not even reached 2nd day on stalker, and have +11 and +5 clothing. Repaired the ones i think is good, and that's decent warmth bonus. 2 hatchets, 2 hacksaws. Plenty of food. I'm only missing a knife, which is not big of a problem since have hatchet, just a bit longer to harvest food, which i dont need now anyway, except i do need guts and skins. Have 7 firs, few cedar, ~80 sticks in case if storm hits. So far never went to freezing state while sleeping... only in early mornings freezing bar gets to ~50%, then goes up, and ready to explore. Sleeping few hours at a time.

edit: 13 days. clothing +15 + 8. rabbit mittens and deer boots. Almost have deer pants as well. still 2 hatchets, 2 hacksaws, knife, freshly made bow, 2 arrows, rifle at 92% with no bullets, 12 arrow shafts. Plenty of food and what not. Literally i made it, and still only looted just those 4 cargos.

What would of made TM more challenging if there was less containers.

I think its still kind of easy even on stalker. Dont even need to go to the tail section to make it.

Around hut there is 4 cargos, in total 8 sections, i'm not even reached 2nd day on stalker, and have +11 and +5 clothing. Repaired the ones i think is good, and that's decent warmth bonus. 2 hatchets, 2 hacksaws. Plenty of food. I'm only missing a knife, which is not big of a problem since have hatchet, just a bit longer to harvest food, which i dont need now anyway, except i do need guts and skins. Have 7 firs, few cedar, ~80 sticks in case if storm hits. So far never went to freezing state while sleeping... only in early mornings freezing bar gets to ~50%, then goes up, and ready to explore. Sleeping few hours at a time.

edit: 13 days. clothing +15 + 8. rabbit mittens and deer boots. Almost have deer pants as well. still 2 hatchets, 2 hacksaws, knife, freshly made bow, 2 arrows, rifle at 92% with no bullets, 12 arrow shafts. Plenty of food and what not. Literally i made it, and still only looted just those 4 cargos.

Yes the containers are big help but, where do you hide during blizzard ? what is all the food in the world if you run out of wood during blizzard? and 3 out of 5 times I spawn I can't find a hatched anywhere nothing in crystal lake nothing in fishing hut? we are talking about Stalker mode right ? 2 hatchets seems very unlikely to me.

yeah stalker, i forgot were i found hatchets, i think one was at dead corpse not to far from hut, and another one was either in the hut or fishing hut.

during the blizzard i stay in the mountaineers hut, and if its a blizzard at night time then i need to start fire in order not to freeze.

you have to make sure that you always have enough wood. i actually rarely use cedar or fir, because sticks are free and there is plenty of stick spots around mountaineers hut. literally 1-2 in game hours and can have 60+ sticks. Thats 7 hours of burning time, and you save hatchet.

I think it's doable but I think saying it's easy is exaggerating. I am inclined not to believe you, and get the vibe you're trying to boast to get respect. Not trying to insult or hate on you, just being honest.

i will agree that its not "that hard" to survive in the TM region on a fresh start in stalker mode.I am on my 25th day doing it.What really helps is that i knew the lay of the land from exploring with a save but that can be said with any region after a while.I have opened all the containers and have reached the summit twice for the supplies.just got done making the wolf jacket which was the last of the clothing to be be made.Only thing i didnt get made was the bear skin roll.

It is crucial that a person knows where they are when they first spawn in this region and find a full "walk in cave" or the shack by the lake.First order of buisness is getting wood to stay warm and finding a hatchet,then a person should be set.Early on,always walk around with a flare ready or a torch,but this can be said for any time in the game really.Good luck to all.

I think it's doable but I think saying it's easy is exaggerating. I am inclined not to believe you, and get the vibe you're trying to boast to get respect. Not trying to insult or hate on you, just being honest.

It is easy, and not everyone is the same. i put 400+ hours in the game, and been playing for over a year, know mechanics and maps in and out. I'm also being honest... there is nothing to boost to get respect... i already got it... first ever in TLD history to reach 500 days. Game is easy for veterans even on stalker.

The maps are all easy once you know them. When I first started on TM I died over and over. Then I started a game outside and geared up and eventually came in and explored. It took me almost two weeks of cautious exploration before I finally reached the summit. Then I decided I wanted a challenge so I decided to start on TM, but since I knew the map I was able to gear up and reach the summit within a week not even trying that hard (I was also doing the pacifist challenge). I think ultimately for replay and challenge there will need to be more procedurally generated elements, if not wholly generated maps at least have buildings that may or may not show up on different play throughs.

I managed to survive starting on TM on my first blind playthrough of it. It got really close at times, with me being as low as 11%. But I made it, and on the 6th day I found my way out of that freezing hell. I have to say though, that starting in such difficult conditions completely changed the way I felt involved in the game, and for the better. It was a much needed breath of fresh air (pun intended!) for me, and I don't recall getting as awesome as feeling as I get in this playthrough ever since the very first hours spent exploring mistery lake. Great job, hinterland. You're doing a hell of a job :)

Edit: I should probably add that I couldn't find a single pry bar and so no containers for me. Yay!

It is easy, and not everyone is the same. i put 400+ hours in the game, and been playing for over a year, know mechanics and maps in and out. I'm also being honest... there is nothing to boost to get respect... i already got it... first ever in TLD history to reach 500 days. Game is easy for veterans even on stalker.

Right but that's what I'm saying, you and I are in the minority having put so many hours into the game. You keep saying "it is easy" like that's a fact. Maybe it's easy for you or me because we put so much time in and know the game inside and out but that doesn't make it objectively easy. I also find it ironic that you boasted extra in a post claiming you weren't boasting. I think you should think about others instead of misleading others on difficulty level to make yourself look good.

Even an experienced player would have a tough time on TM if they didn't catch a little luck. If you spawn in a blizzard and your clothing only gives you 8 degrees bonus .....without a hatchet or hacksaw, you're in big trouble!

I don't care who you are, or how good you think you are.

And yes, I started in TM but couldn't stay there or I would have froze. Was fortunate enough to make it down to the farmhouse in Pleasant Valley ........ barely!

The last hour was in the dark, using a flare. I crested a hill and was barely able to make out the shadow of the silo by the house. When I finally got inside, I was down to 30% and took 2 days to recover.

I'm still struggling with that player as I still don't have enough warm clothing to get out and do anything for longer than an hour of game time.

Even an experienced player would have a tough time on TM if they didn't catch a little luck. If you spawn in a blizzard and your clothing only gives you 8 degrees bonus .....without a hatchet or hacksaw, you're in big trouble!

And yes, I started in TM but couldn't stay there or I would have froze. Was fortunate enough to make it down to the farmhouse in Pleasant Valley ........ barely!

The last hour was in the dark, using a flare. I crested a hill and was barely able to make out the shadow of the silo by the house. When I finally got inside, I was down to 30% and took 2 days to recover.

I'm still struggling with that player as I still don't have enough warm clothing to get out and do anything for longer than an hour of game time.

I think Kraelman, or LMG spawned in the blizzard at night in TM on stalker, and survived. When you know what you doing and all the game mechanics and what not, it is easy. So don't feel bad, one day it also it will be easy for you, when you master the game.

Right but that's what I'm saying, you and I are in the minority having put so many hours into the game. You keep saying "it is easy" like that's a fact. Maybe it's easy for you or me because we put so much time in and know the game inside and out but that doesn't make it objectively easy. I also find it ironic that you boasted extra in a post claiming you weren't boasting. I think you should think about others instead of misleading others on difficulty level to make yourself look good.

Ok let me re-phrase it... its PRETTY EASY... FOR ME. Is that better now? :)

You keep saying i'm boasting, like thats a fact. Maybe its boasting for you and not the others or me? :) i just finding it ironic.

edit: let say im boasting... what are you gonna do about it? exactly... nothing.

I think Kraelman, or LMG spawned in the blizzard at night in TM on stalker, and survived. When you know what you doing and all the game mechanics and what not, it is easy. So don't feel bad, one day it also it will be easy for you, when you master the game.

Ok let me re-phrase it... its PRETTY EASY... FOR ME. Is that better now? :)

You keep saying i'm boasting, like thats a fact. Maybe its boasting for you and not the others or me? :) i just finding it ironic.

edit: let say im boasting... what are you gonna do about it? exactly... nothing.

That is much better. It's sad that you have to be told how to properly write and act in a forum.

When you know what you doing and all the game mechanics and what not, it is easy. So don't feel bad, one day it also it will be easy for you, when you master the game.

Gee Thinair.......... I'm surprised that someone like yourself who considers themselves a "master of the game" compared to the rest of us plebes hasn't graced us with your presence on the "Sea to Summit Challenge" yet.

I'm sure we could all learn much from your infinite wisdom!

Archived