Has anyone Survived on the TM Stalker mode?

vancopower

Gee Thinair.......... I'm surprised that someone like yourself who considers themselves a "master of the game" compared to the rest of us plebes hasn't graced us with your presence on the "Sea to Summit Challenge" yet.

I'm sure we could all learn much from your infinite wisdom!

Way to bluff me in, into a challenge created by you. There is no master in it at all, just need to know where most coffee spawns, and bit of luck with weather... literally a challenge based on geography, basically only one aspect out of many in this game. Never claimed myself as master of the game, nor the best player, nor any of that. I just get in a-hole mode when somebody from the rookies come at me with all that non-sense.

Even an experienced player would have a tough time on TM if they didn't catch a little luck. If you spawn in a blizzard and your clothing only gives you 8 degrees bonus .....without a hatchet or hacksaw, you're in big trouble!

It depends on what you make your base camp during the initial week or two. If you choose to stay

[spoil]in the Mountaineers Hut at Crystal Lake[/spoil]

then you will have a hard time just preventing you from freezing, constantly roaming the woods searching for sticks, branches and limbs and even then your survival is highly depending on weather luck.

If on the other hand you know the map and know that there are

[spoil]4 entrances to warm loading-screen caves[/spoil]

then TWM becomes one of, if not the easiest map of the game. Once you have crafted all cloths the first location becomes a good option again because of regular hunting opportunities and a bear near by that can be safely killed ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I finally survived the TM and yes I spawned far away from mountaineers cabin, and now I know the way to PV how I did it. Well it was easy wherever you spawn on TM try to go down as low as you can you either end up at mountaineers cabin or the engine which is close, as well as getting out of TM well I would not wanna spoil the fun but once you get to mountaineers cabin take a breather rest for a few days and explore you could find it easy :)

P.S. There are always the necessary tools at the mountaineers cabin you just have to look for them more closely I always find hatched, whetstone and which is enough to keep you warm for weeks if you use the right strategy that is :)

I haven´t started there myself, but i´d suggest finding the Crystal Lake as fast as possible right after you spawned. The Cabin there is the only safe shelter. It has a workbench, so I would craft good clothes and sleep in the numerous caves while exploring with a fire running through the night. This of course needs a sleeping bag, which hopefully spawns in the cabin, but i´m not sure. ;)

One of the engines is also a good shelter, wildlife cannot get into it, permanent wind shelter.

That is if you don't get stuck inside the blades... permanently :(

Very small and cosy, haven't tried tanning things in there yet but i don't think it would work, there is plenty of storage nearby and plenty of branches, sticks and limbs to harvest, much more than near the cabin.

I don't think many people realise you can enter atleast one of the engines, but beware the area is glitched as *@%#

The only thing it lacks is a workbench.

(All degrees are in Celcius)

I have tried multiple times to survive starting on stalker mode but it wouldn't work, then today i tried again because my friend was nagging my butt off to play again so i did, managed pretty well and already surpassed my 3 day record (probably because i spawned at the hut) and 5 days in i got permanently stuck inside one of the engines, i can reload a save but that ain't me, i don't repeat stuff if it's not my own fault, i'll let the save sit there untill i need the space, then delete it.

No harm done, it's Alpha after all.

So all i can tell you is find shelter in places you might not consider at first, as there is more in TWM than meets the eye, just don't get stuck like i did...

And Pick up Stix (fresh Asian flavors, get it? No? Google it!) loads of sticks! Don't waste too much time breaking down bigger wood sources, unless you have a running fire nearby to give you instant warmth and food to cover the burn calories, that's how i did it on that latest try and i managed pretty well because you'll be cold whenever you do something, so you must warm up, use your daylight even if it's -40, go forage, for example 30 min, get back, melt water and warm up at same time, leave water near fire, take some with you, forage again for as long as you can without loosing too much health (i don't ever risk more than 5% at once in TMW)

Rinse and repeat.

Carefully select which clothing to break down as some clothing items only take 10 mins while other take 40 mins, and all just for 1 piece of cloth scrap.

I also found it wise to break down pieces of clothing your start with that are near total degradation, break them down and fix your better clothing items with it, for instance a jeans might give 0.2 degrees at ~25% but when broken down, that cloth scrap might be used to stitch your woolen undershit giving you an exta 1 degree, every bit helps and do stuff like this whenever you need to warm up, because whenever you do not need to warm up by a fire, it's best to look for wood and food, TWM has enough wood supplies that clothing should come second, just keep those fires burning, you'll quickly find out it's easier to maintain a fire in TWM compared to other maps just because of the sheer number of sticks alone.

Always walk around with a torch as it gives +3 extra degrees and makes lighting the next fire much easier, unless it's stormy, then walk with a storm lanter if possible.

I also rely on running much more while in TMW than when in other areas because the conditions are so harsh there, it's better to run more and rest more because if you'd only walk when doing most of your stuff you'd freeze before you get anywhere, and since you never need to go very far in one go in TMW (atleast that's what i would advise), there's no reason not to use your energy until you're drained, you can mess up your internal clock a little bit the first couple of days to get a good start, then bring it back to normal by drinking thee before going to bed.

If you manage to find coffee this can also be very handy when having to run a lot as it restores some fatigue, i wouldn't drink more than 2 cups a day though, mostly because you might need them for later

But if you have some thee to spare, drink some thee (or hot food) before going exploring as it gives another 5? degrees for a couple of hours.

When not needing the extra warmth, there is no use in heating up that can of pork and beans/soup/etc, this might help a bit.

Same goes for cold thee or coffee, you will still restore fatigue and get increased rest bonus, just not the warmth bonus.

Edit: this just popped up in my head, would it be possible to get away from a wolf using a torch without having to run.

It's possible to drop a burning torch, yet not throw it, so what if one would drop the torch in between him/her and the wolf, then slowly back up while keeping the torch in the middle at all times, would it work? It certainly would be HALLELUJA handy.

I must try this!

Edit: 2 I got pretty lucky (and very unlucky thanks to getting stuck) that last try as i also found 3 hatchets, 2 knives, 2 hacksaws and 2 otherwise rare scarves in one day in TMW. But then again, i started 2 hours before nightfall and 2 minutes into the game there was a blizzard that lasted for two days. (-40 degrees in the hut during daytime)

Archived