Favorite places To make base

Raven 2010

What is your favorite place to set up base include what zone and what you like about it what makes it home to you

For me trappers homestead warm has stove workbench to just over the hill is a good place to chop wood and a place with rabbits near by only down side is its remote location still by far it's home to me

My favorite Camp depends on what Zone I'm in, and what buildings are burned down. When the house right behind the Gas Station on Coastal highway, the one with the fireplace that is a single story, with a car in front of it, that is my favorite.

When that house is burned down during that particular playthrough I generally use the Gas Station as a temp setup on my way through and agree with you for where all my stuff is going to end up. The Safe, lockers, it's a small place that's easy to navigate even in the dark, and plentiful rabbits, make the Trapper's Homestead to good to resist after I've looted everywhere else.

I wish one of the high glass sided watchtowers had a workbench, then those would win just because I love watching the sun rise and set with the stove going. It's one of the moments in the game where I'm safe, warm, and everything is amazing to look at.

Coastal Highway.

The house on the hill just outside of Coastal Townsite.

Workbench is available at the gas station.

Wood spawns pretty close to the door area.

Wolves are never around that building, though I did encounter a bear once when I was first moving in. After killing it, I never encountered another.

Fishing isn't too far. Deer walk right past the house. Rabbits are a bit of a hike to Jackrabbit Island. But, it's all there.

The down side is cooking. Weather permitting, you can do so on the deck.

If the nearest house toward town is not burnt down, its a good place to cook in the fireplace.

Otherwise, cooking in the gas station is fine.

I've used this place since Coastal Highway was introduced and it never failed me in being a great Base of Operations.

Hands down, though, the Pleasant Valley Farmstead house is best equipped. Fireplace, wood oven, beds, and storage in the main living area and a workbench in the basement.

The down side is that it's kind of in the middle of nowhere. Getting there seems like a long trek.

Fishing isn't too far away at Pensive Pond, and Rabbits are along the way thereto. Rabbits are also not too far to the West.

Deer are usually wandering around the orchard. No wolves or bear in the immediate area thus far, though they aren't too far off. I've encountered plenty of both at the neighboring Farm.

I've just finished lugging my second round of supplies into this building and will see how the long term plays out. It looks very promising.

ML - Have not played in it since january or so, but for me without hesitation camp office was #1 spot. Centrally located, deer and wolf basically in front of the door, fishing is close. Back then there were no rabbits and bear when i played it. And only 1 wolf that sometimes gave problems while getting out or in, but nothing too bad. Trappers is pretty safe with everything you need except is pretty remote at the edge of the map.

CH- My least favorite map. played at most 40 hours in it out of 275 my total hours in tld. Always stayed at house over the hill accross gas station, the one that has fireplace. Just hated those 2-3 wolves that roams around, makes pain in the behind to get in and out. Best thing about ch its central spot of the whole sandboxes, has direct access to other 3 sandboxes.

PV - Farmstead by far, its #1 base in the game for me. Also i do not think its in the middle of nowehere, i think its kind of centrally located, and can reach everything pretty easily. Plenty of food, super safe area. Have to love the bear that comes by once in a while, for those 900cal steaks and 10 guts. 2nd best for accesing other sandboxes.

DP- lonely lighthouse. plenty of food, has decent amount of lockers/cabinets. In my current run it has 200kg+ of space... 1st floor 100kg, 3rd floor 120kg and lighthouse roof 30kg. Bench at hibernia or mine. Amazing source of coal, once every 10 days two mines gives around 30-40 coals. Have 250 coals at this time and stopped gathering it, thats 250 hours of fire. Lighthouse has a nice vibe, and hopefully the next sandbox map will have access from DP.

Coastal Highway:

Jackrabbit Island: Wood, Fire and food are all easy. I keep must raw materials organized on the floor so there is enough space for tools and other items in cabinets. Hides in the stove and food in the fridge and drinks in the freezer.

Desolation Point:

Hibernia Processing Plant: Lots of space here a little dark but not a huge deal. Easy access to most necessities outside as well (Except for rabbits and fish)

Mystery Lake:

Camp Office: All around best base. Easy access to deer, wolves, fish, rabbits & Wood. Has a crafting table but storage is a little low but I can get by organizing most raw materials into stacks on the ground. Bears are hard to come by in mystery lake the best one I find is on the lake by the lonely cabin.

Pleasant Vally:

Either the homestead or the barn. Have to hike a little bit for rabbits and fish in pleasant valley but otherwise good.

Coastal Highway:

Jackrabbit Island: Fire and food are all easy.

There are players like me who once get wolf + deer, so around 14kg of food cooks it all up, that's alone 4+ hours of cooking and on top boils 50-100l of water... in total we are talking about 24h+ cooking/boiling session...I'm pretty sure that's impossible to do on a porch. So for efficient players indoor fire is a must.

Rabbit Grove in Coastal Highway.

Rabbits outside the door, sticks round. No wolf around at all. Easy to make back even in blizzard. On high grounds, good view. Need a workbench? Carter hydro dam.

Living here is boring but hey we are talking about base, right? If you have died because you failed to headback in a blizzard or gnawed by bear/wolf right beside your door, you will know what I am talking about.

Jackrabbit Island

- Central map with access to ML, PV and DP. When I explore these areas I gather all loot to a secondary central location within them, and by the time I've used enough supplies to not be encumbered I move the good stuff back to CH.

- On a hill where no wolves spawn and you can see where they are in the surrounding area.

- Plenty of rabbits, fish, and my favourite benefit - a good view of the deer and wolves on the ice below you - easy to chase the deer into wolves and shoot them with your bow.

- Plenty of respawning fir firewood for long cooks, cedar firewood to harvest tinder plugs, berries and Old Man's Beard Lichen.

- The downside for most people is the lack of stove and workbench, but there is a fishing hut nearby for you to cook batches of meat at a time, and a workbench a short walk away at the fishing village (you can travel to this on the left of the snow leading there from the island to avoid the wolf spawn around the dock) which is both closer and less wolf-infested than the townsite.

- Lastly - it's so well decorated and homey... no corpses either!

ML: i usally love to stay in the camp office it is close to everything i need has a fire up stairs and downstairs plenty of storage and a work bench as well as alot of stuff to break down. its also cloe to the forest for wood and has many ways to get to another place with out being directly on the train tracks.

CH: i always stay in two places and go back and forth when i hunt i like to stay and have a seprate set of food water knife and hatchet in the house on jack rabit island and i keep all my other supplies in the CH gas station the gas station is a lil hard because of wolves however its good for crafting bed and has a fire barrel plenty of space to place things and to harvest.

PV: i just stay away from i hate this map

DP: i go to forge scavenge and leave but i often stay by the whaleing place...

Coastal Highway:

Jackrabbit Island: Fire and food are all easy.

There are players like me who once get wolf + deer, so around 14kg of food cooks it all up, that's alone 4+ hours of cooking and on top boils 50-100l of water... in total we are talking about 24h+ cooking/boiling session...I'm pretty sure that's impossible to do on a porch. So for efficient players indoor fire is a must.

I don't know. There's a guy who posts on Reddit that just hit 2,000 days alive (voyager) and he's based out of Jackrabbit Island. There must be something to that place. But I do agree, it doesn't SEEM efficient to me either.

I'm pretty new at this game, so this may sound silly to the veterans out there, but I really enjoy the main areas in the game. Haven't been to Desolation Point yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

Quonset is my current home in CH, all my stuff is stocked up there, but I've still got enough in the backpack for some distance traveling if I need to.

Either Camp Office or Trappers Homestead, though I'm starting to prefer Camp Office, in theory, now that I sorta know what I'm doing when it comes to hunting, just wish I could find a hatchet or more bullets since I haven't even been to ML yet in my current run. CO just seems so close to everything: Fish, Deer and Wolves are all close by, plus it's got all the amenities, fireplace and beds, workbenches and storage. I just like Trappers because it's all cozy when you have the fire burning.

The Pleasant Valley Farmstead house is definitely my best bet, although with the distance between areas, I tend to play the traveler's role more here, lots of map crossing whereas in ML it's mostly just get my bearings and head to Camp Office or Trapper's; CH it's just find Quonset and set up some sort of basecamp so I can make runs to the fishing huts and other houses.

Quick update...

PV is not that nice anymore.... animals moved away from the farmstead, at least both rabbits on both sides of the house. Still seen the bear around the house.

Biggest change is weather.... during "4-7 of daylight left"... have not seen warmer than -13 regular temp and probably -5 wind. Its always windy. On average i would say -8 or colder windshield and -15 or colder reg temp. Combined we are talking about -23 temp during the warmest hours. Literally need at least +14 and +10 clothing to explore, and still kind of would be limited exploration because would have to take a stop in the shelter to warm up, plus wind picks up fast every hour or two. Used to leave "8-10 hours left of daylight left" and could make a loop around whole map, now forget about that, it might take 3 days+. Even if you have all craftable clothing, and only wear it... can have a challenge during best hours... "8-3 hours of daylight"... will degrade quick. Honestly, best hours in PV is very limited.... "4-6 of daylight"... maybe "3-7". Were in other maps roughly its from 10 till 1.

Pain in the behind to harvest things especially everything at once... will need bunch of cloths, pelts, gults etc, and fishing tackles and sewing kits for longer stays at PV... because as mentioned, any longer daily activity would cause pretty decent clothing degradation. Unless hunted animal is in the area where possible to find windblock spot.

Mystery lake is around -7 and -2 during those hours, and DP -10 and -3. Have not checked CH.

Edit: and of course, pv indoors got colder... from -1 to -5. By the way its literally stupid.... pv farmstead porch, basement and basically all caves have the same temp (-5c) as pv farmstead indoor.

I under stand the cold weather in pv it being mostly flat but if we are going for that logic dp and ch should be down right freezing I think they made pv colder because most people would set up there once they are situated for the rest of the game but then again if you know ml well you u can stay there till you strip it dry of loot this is geting of topic so I'll just say this when I made this thread I meant it to be you fav shelter zone and why not why you don't like X zone if you don't like X zone for a base then don't list it in your fav bases sry if that sounded blunt and way I'll stop ranting now "trappers aka the dooms day shelter"

If I am going for a long run I will start in CH and make base at the gas station. I want to live out on one of the islands, but I just cannot stand cooking outside and not having a work table. I clear all of CH and DP, setting up temporary camp in the Riken (sp?) make around 50 arrowheads and all the clothes. I am not a fan of the Bearskin sleeping bag, its way too heavy and I never sleep outside because I know all the maps very well. There is also plenty of cloth to keep the regular bedroll around indefinitely.

Then I travel to ML and make base at the Trapper's Homestead, which is by far my favorite area in the entire game. The TH, apart from the annoying rock wall it sits up on, and the lack of storage (pray for two box under bed spawn), it has everything you could ask for, and most importantly it has..... LIGHT. Thank the heavens you can actually see inside without a lantern!

Pleasant Valley is the last region I clear, because of its sheer size and harshness. I set up shop at the main Farmhouse, but really act more as a nomad in PV, clearing the map and looking for caves. At this point in the game, I really just look for bullets, firestrikers, collect skins, and search for bunkers. Also collecting ungodly amounts of firewood and water caches, that's about all there is to do around 400 days lol.

My favorite place to hunker down is the 4 Fishing Huts on Coastal Highway! I live in the Hut closest to the ice. Just a few steps and you are out on the ice, which I like. No surprises lurking nearby.

And for me, I like being able to see the dangers a long way off rather than being "surprised all the time" like living at other places on the maps.

Tons of pallets to break down if you need to, but plenty of wood nearby. Also a Work table behind last hut.

There's 1 bear (which you see about every 5 days) and 1 wolf, and that's it.

The best part is, the closest Ice fishing hut is only about 30 seconds walk away! Just catch 2 Coho Salmon and that's all you need per day in calories. Everything else you catch is bonus calories. Also, the Ice fishing hut is so close that you can find your way to it, and from it, even in the worst "white out". which means, I can always catch fish, no matter how cold or crappy the weather.

When I stay there, Fish is about 80% of my meals. When I do get down on food, just head out onto the ice on a nice day and kill a wolf or deer (or both) within an hour of game time!

I've loaded up all the ice fishing huts with enough wood so that if I do get caught on the ice in a white out, any hut will keep me alive all night if needed without freezing.

So basically, I live in a triangle between the Fishing Huts, log sort, and Jackrabbit Island.

When I run low on stuff, I pack up a bunch of food and go get it, then return.

At this point, I haven't raided any houses or most of the fishing huts on CH yet. Don't need to. And I haven't even visited Pleasant Valley yet, but have my cave markers in place, for when I need to.

282 Days and counting, (voyager mode)

in ml, i enjoy using the camp office.

in ch, the gas station in the coastal town (or jackrabbit island, if the town is overrun by wolves)

in dp, the lighthouse.

in pv, the farmstead (i forget the exact name. the big farmhouse, has an upstairs and a pretty cool stove.)

all of these has the same reason. located in the center area of the map, with plenty of surrounding wildlife and / or fishing huts for when i run out of scavenged supplies. in addition, i like having a good center-map hideout so i dont have to travel so far to my points of interest. for instance, if im in ml and want to go scavenge some supplies i left over in the carter hydro dam, i dont want to be hiking for hours from the trappers homestead to reach it. or have to make the hike to the mystery office just for the work table.

but, i imagine that when they add NPC survivors, the centeral locations will be the most dangerous / populated. you have the most useful, structurally sound and tactical hideout in the entire map, someone is more than likely to rob or kill you for it. so when they add survivors, im just gonna be golum and duck down into the mines :P

cant find the quote button on these forums but in regards to thinair and others concerns about fire on jack rabbit island

the fishing shacks are only about a 30 second in game walk to and from...dont use the porch just do it over at the shack.

When I need water and food cooked I just hike down there and cook it up and boil.

very safe and no dangers of being caught in a blizzard. (just bring a sleeping bag in the unlikely event a blizzard starts up when u decide to hike back.

cant find the quote button on these forums but in regards to thinair and others concerns about fire on jack rabbit island

the fishing shacks are only about a 30 second in game walk to and from...dont use the porch just do it over at the shack.

When I need water and food cooked I just hike down there and cook it up and boil.

very safe and no dangers of being caught in a blizzard. (just bring a sleeping bag in the unlikely event a blizzard starts up when u decide to hike back.

1. if wind changes... its possible to freeze to death if its blowing straight via door... which do happen once in a while.

2. even walking 30 secs is inconvenient comparing of having indoor fire.

3. wolves do patrol around there, so there is another risk.

1. if wind changes... its possible to freeze to death if its blowing straight via door... which do happen once in a while.

2. even walking 30 secs is inconvenient comparing of having indoor fire.

3. wolves do patrol around there, so there is another risk.

still cant find the quote button on others posts...

anyhow

1. Never experienced myself good to keep in mind but i suppose u can always cook naked without a hitch ;P I doubt ud freeze if cooking for a 20 hour period the required wood will jack the degrees of the fire up way high. Mine is normally well over the lowest temps of any blizzard in those situations.

2. I agree it is inconvenient but compared to some of the other alternatives in CH it isn't too bad especially if your cooking stuff up in large batches

3. Wolves do but not nearly as bad further in land such as the gas station which is the only spot with everything all in one. Using the open ice it is much easier to dodge wolves and they will back off once u reach the huts. They rarely make it up to jack rabbit island and usually only cause they followed u or a rabbit that they chased up there.

that said I would say CH makes the toughest place for choosing a decent base as the gas station is very tough to avoid wolves and fairly far from rabbits.

atm Coastal Highway, I love Coastal Townsite. Central to all /most area on the map.

Also it has all you need, fire to cook, plenty of storage, bed etc. If you need to craft stuff just cross the road to the Garage. the garage also has a bed, crude fireplace and lots of other goodies.

Archived