Dev Diary soon...

2 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

I urge patience... :) 
I'm sure that another Dev Diary entry will come when it's ready.

We don't have a time or a date... so pinning hopes on speculations most often just creates self-inflicted disappointment. 

:coffee::fire::coffee:

The sense of unease has begun to spread. I don't know why they said "soon," but it's already been a week, so I don't think it's "soon" anymore. The main reason is that, even though I trust them, I'm really afraid it's due to some kind of delay or disruption in the plan, like an update being postponed. After all, although they previously mentioned that the cougar would take "a few weeks," they also said they would update Part 6 in the fall and Episode 5 by the end of this year. As it stands, many players are starting to doubt again whether they can fulfill their promises.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TWMountain said:

The sense of unease has begun to spread. I don't know why they said "soon," but it's already been a week, so I don't think it's "soon" anymore. The main reason is that, even though I trust them, I'm really afraid it's due to some kind of delay or disruption in the plan, like an update being postponed. After all, although they previously mentioned that the cougar would take "a few weeks," they also said they would update Part 6 in the fall and Episode 5 by the end of this year. As it stands, many players are starting to doubt again whether they can fulfill their promises.

Not really.

Soon is soon as long as it's within 3 weeks, soon is relative when a company cares about making the game the best they possibly can. RE: the Cougar- they never said any sort of timeline on the Cougar's reintroduction- they simply said they'd work on it and it would return when it was ready and polished.

Players may have assumed that it would be ...3 weeks later... but that's on them.

As a long term fan of Hinterland I am eternally grateful that they do take as much time as they need to work on the game, and updating things, like the Cougar that didn't fit well.

My guess is that a release date for the next part of Tales and the return of the Cougar will indeed be part of the Dev Diary. Tales Part 6 will absolutely hit before the end of the year- potentially before the end of the month even.

We will absolutely get more information on Episode 5 of Wintermute- if it hits in December fantastic. If it hits in March great.

Whenever it hits it will be polished and more than worth the wait.

Hinterland always fulfils it's promises, sometimes it takes a bit longer than fans would like.

• Upvote 9
  • Like 1

If anything, this delay is a GOOD sign, it may mean the change they're about to show us is substantial.

And well, if anything it'll be polished instead of rushed to follow some players arbitrary expectations of "Soon"

I think "Soon" still applies within a month period. That kinda time flies by when you work full time, haha.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MarrowStone said:

If anything, this delay is a GOOD sign, it may mean the change they're about to show us is substantial.

And well, if anything it'll be polished instead of rushed to follow some players arbitrary expectations of "Soon"

I think "Soon" still applies within a month period. That kinda time flies by when you work full time, haha.

Well I just dropped out of a very stressful university course, and I have back pains from my medicine, so I wouldn't say time flies for me :(

• Hinterland
3 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

I really liked this post on Reddit:

Yeah -- my fault. When you've been working on a game for 10+ years, "soon" becomes relative, but I understand that people are rightfully impatient or anxious to get the dev diary and that "soon" always feels like it should mean "in 5 minutes". There's a lot of info to share and I want to make 100% sure I have all the correct details, along with some cool assets, and that just takes time. We had a long weekend in between too (Canadian Thanksgiving). But it really will be soon!!

• Upvote 6
  • Like 4

It's wonderful to see the long dark up in the top five of another list.... 💗

I have to say though that survival to me doesn't feel sad, of course I'm alone and I should feel sad,or lonely but I feel at peace and quite content with it... Maybe I've been on  pilgrim too long  and enjoy the beauty I see around me 😊

Wintermute definitely has the darkness  and sadness but that's from the great storyline and characters in my opinion...    

Either way congrats on getting another top ten😊

Edited by Leeanda
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

There's a lot of info to share and I want to make 100% sure I have all the correct details, along with some cool assets, and that just takes time.

I'm never one to want your releases to be rushed, whether it's a dev log, or an update, I always trust that you'll release it when your believe it is due and ready. I'll gladly wait patently if it means that everything you post is made with care and doesn't put any strain on any of the great people in Hinterland. 

It's honestly the reason why I really enjoy following the development of the game so much, and consider The Long Dark my Favorite game, because not only is it a really good game, but I appreciate the care that's been given to ensure that Hinterland themselves doesn't get stress or crunched during the game's development.

All I wish is for other game companies to ensure the wellbeing of their developers over the needs to push for release dates and holidays, and not constantly place people under insane crunch times

Your company proves that crunch isn't needed to make fantastic games and create great communities, and I will always be thankful for that.

• Upvote 3

• Hinterland
2 hours ago, Smellyfries said:

I'm never one to want your releases to be rushed, whether it's a dev log, or an update, I always trust that you'll release it when your believe it is due and ready. I'll gladly wait patently if it means that everything you post is made with care and doesn't put any strain on any of the great people in Hinterland. 

It's honestly the reason why I really enjoy following the development of the game so much, and consider The Long Dark my Favorite game, because not only is it a really good game, but I appreciate the care that's been given to ensure that Hinterland themselves doesn't get stress or crunched during the game's development.

All I wish is for other game companies to ensure the wellbeing of their developers over the needs to push for release dates and holidays, and not constantly place people under insane crunch times

Your company proves that crunch isn't needed to make fantastic games and create great communities, and I will always be thankful for that.

Well, I'm not sure we never get stressed. 😅 But we don't crunch. Crunch has long been proven as an ineffective and damaging way to work, resulting in lower quality outcomes and unhappy people who end up leaving. Having done a LOT of crunch early in my career, I have no wish to go back to those days. Which isn't to say we don't work hard or, occasionally, long hours.

We're fortunate that most of our players are very understanding and supportive of our stance re: crunch, although I know it's probably the first thing that comes to mind as an annoyance when it feels like we've taken much too long to deliver something...

• Upvote 5
  • Like 2