Favourite No-Load Shelter

Favourite No-Load Shelter  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 8/6/2024 at 6:46 AM, ElSuperGecko said:

I'm a big fan of Pensive Lookout - there's a lot more in the cabin there, desk with computer, cupboard, shelving etc.  And a storage bin for fuel at the base.

Doesn't have a work bench. The near-by Echo One Radio Tower hut doesn't have a workbench either, IIRC.

Workbench is a requirement for my favorite locations.

-t

• Upvote 3

21 hours ago, Kranium said:

Another vote for the Maintenance Shed in Broken Railroad. It's actually my most-used base in the entire game, period. Should have had it on the vote list!

It's on the list as Maintenance Yard Exterior (Broken Railroad), which I took to mean the part of the maintenance shed that isn't indoors (ie no loading screen).

• Upvote 2

oh damn I skimmed right past it

I see Mountaineer's Hut is tops in voting. I like it in & of itself, but I hate all the rope climbs there so that map is normally one I only visit to drain of loot to move elsewhere, or if I'm just passing through. I prefer Bricklayer's Retreat to it, actually.

Edited by Kranium
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Kranium said:

I see Mountaineer's Hut is tops in voting. I like it in & of itself, but I hate all the rope climbs there so that map is normally one I only visit to drain of loot to move elsewhere, or if I'm just passing through. I prefer Bricklayer's Retreat to it, actually.

I dunno, but there's quite a few ways up the mountain where you can avoid rope climbs, but not all of them to reach the summit.  That being said, for me it's the nearby amenities that make it my favorite spot.  You got a fishing shack nearby, plenty of nearby firewood that replenishes on a regular basis, in addition to nearby rabbit warrens.  

I like Bricklayer's as a close second, the only thing that knocks it down a notch is the broken front door.  I really wish they had left that door intact.  

I chose Spence's Family Homestead; it's not the easiest spot to stay at but it's a fun challenge. It's got a workbench, forge, and deer at your doorstep, so it's a feasible base if you can keep warm. I mainly choose this one because I like playing the Kegstand challenge and Spence's is the obvious choice for a base. Although, I probably wouldn't ever stay here for very long on any normal run haha. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 10:49 PM, Leeanda said:

How about the shack in Milton basin,  bunnies,birch bark and moose if your lucky.. nice little spot to relax in

I remember the first time I went there.

Made it down the rope climb from Milton and started mapping the area when a blizzard hits.  Thought I was safe when I found the cabin, quickly realised I was not.  Just about made it to the cave on the other side of the basin before hypothermia hit.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, ElSuperGecko said:

I remember the first time I went there.

Made it down the rope climb from Milton and started mapping the area when a blizzard hits.  Thought I was safe when I found the cabin, quickly realised I was not.  Just about made it to the cave on the other side of the basin before hypothermia hit.

Definitely not a place to stay without enough fuel I agree.. 

• Upvote 2

The Mountaineer's Hut is (so far) my favorite place to live in all of Great Bear Island.

However, for me it's not so simple a question. :D 
I find that every place has its benefits and drawbacks.
And of course, there were some places that didn't make the list.

For example, while I did select the Mountaineer's Hut for the purposes of the survey...
I also very much love The Last Resort Cannery, every shallow cave (as well the unique named ones... such as Cimber's Cave in HRV), all the small "barns", various ruined cabins (Milton Basin, Pleasant Valley, Ash Canyon, Forsaken Airfield), any of the Fishing Huts, etc...  :D 

The list could go on and on.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
TLDR: Having to just pick one... Mountaineer's Hut.  However, the reality is that I really do love them all. :D 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3

I voted for the abandoned lookout in Coastal Highway. It’s not the one I use the most, and it’s not super practical, but the view is spectacular, and its slightly janky setup - limited storage, one-burner stove, furniture strewn around at odd angles - distills the feeling of the game to me. It’s beautiful, broken, and unforgiving. 

• Upvote 2

I voted Mountaineer's, though I have yet to see the ones in SP; I'm up on TWM right now because I lost the last guy on his way out to the FT, and now I have the arrowheads, moose bag, technical backpack, and crampons, and a boatload of arrow shafts. Planning on going up there with a couple dozen extra shafts, and I've acquired top tier clothing; I basically play a custom with Voyageur loot and Interloper weather and wolves, and only recovering condition at the slowest rate while sleeping, but not generally. I also bump up the amount of all animals up to max except for wolves and timberwolves, which are set to min, and with wolf fear set to the highest setting, to try and create as much uncertainty as possible during animal encounters. Also wildlife detection is set to the highest setting so that the deer etc start to run while very far away.

Anyway, Mountaineer's, I've certainly spent more time in that place than anywhere else on Great Bear, it's just a really great place to live with all the stuff you need nearby. Only thing that's not so great about TWM is it's short on cloth, but that's why gawd invented field trips to other regions.

I will be leaving soon, though, to get up to the Far Territories so I can go explore SP. I know it's been out for a while, but you know, I have this thing, called a job, and my very deliberate play style and refusal to rush makes things take a while. I started this game about a month ago, I'm up to about day sixty, and am wondering if I should stay long enough to make a bearskin bedroll and maybe get up to bow 5, or just hit the road now. Should only be three or four more days before I can make the bedroll....

Looking forward to seeing what the places up in SP are like. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

What's making the poll difficult is that there are THREE TYPES of "no load shelters":

1) Those providing warmth bonus + windproof, but will contribute to cabin fever. (e.g. Mountaineer's Hut, Bricklayer's, Island Cottage)

2) Those providing warmth bonus + windproof, and are cabin fever proof (e.g. Maintenance Yard Office, caves w/o transition)

3) Those providing wind-proof shelter and are cabin fever proof , but no warmth bonus (e.g. Old Spence's Homestead barn)

Lumping these together makes discussion really difficult, since the pro's and con's are so unique.

Maintenance Yard Office is truly unique in so many ways, due to its direct connection to the Maintenance Yard with workbench AND forge.

Second best has to be Old Spence's (nearby bunker can provide warmth for sleep w/o need of fire wood).

All other locations can count on sentimental value, but are not better by objective standards.

-t

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

I voted ML forestry lookout. It holds dear memories of starting out in survival. To me it still feels like the cosiest/safest place to be. Watching the weather change there, seeing rhe wood smoke caught high in the breeze, it's lovely. It's just such a pain to access.

Mountaineers Hut is my favorite. I could stay there forever if there wasn't more to explore and do. I have it stocked with all the loot that I got from the containers. I have a permanent fire and a permanent lantern with a soft glow at about 30% brightness. It is a very homey feel in a stunning landscape with everything you need to survive alone. I pick up every stick nearby and chop every limb so that I have an inviting pile of wood by the fireplace even though I don't need it. There is a deer to eat on the lake or by the wing, or even go up to deer clearing for the 3 there and camp in the cave. There is fish for scurvy, and a moose to shoot at if I dare. And wolves for revolver target practice. I even like to go back up to the summit for a little vaycay in the cave. A foray into AC once in a while is nice too.

I am waiting for the base customization to make my miserable life in TLD a little better. I want to fix up some bases in every region so I can enjoy living there. Angler's Den could be a nice place to vaycay for a while if I could fix it up a bit. Bricklayers retreat could also be.

2 hours ago, Sito said:

Mountaineers Hut is my favorite.

Bricklayers retreat could also be.

I agree.  Hands down Mountaineer's Hut is my favorite.  It woulda been a toss-up with Bricklayer's Retreat if only Hinterland had left the door on its hinges.

• 2 weeks later...

I do like Mountaineer Hut's general location more, but I prefer Spencer's Homestead more.

• Forge
  • More floor space and storage space. There's enough room to be able to make two rock piles. I also really like lockers when it comes to storage options.
  • Can place campfires inside that get outside bonus burn time.
  • Clear sight lines in 3 of 4 directions with no obstacles immediately around the building. Good for "hunting" wolves from inside and makes it very unlikely to get unexpectantly jumped as soon as you go outside.

Really the only downside is having to go to a nearby cave in order to sure things. 🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 2