TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY comes to Nintendo Switch, August 1st!!!

• Hinterland

Hello players!

After many delays, we are happy to share the news that TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY Expansion Pass DLC for THE LONG DARK has finally been approved by Nintendo for launch on the Switch. TALES will be available for purchase at the eShop starting August 1st!

The first phase of TALES release on Switch will be Parts One to Four, with Part Five coming ASAP (as it has already been released on the other platforms) and Part Six coming some time this Fall.

5KJK9X3G.thumb.jpeg.62bc7eb772d9971dddd9bcceb13222a3.jpeg

Even if you don’t purchase TALES, all Switch players will still get access to the free updates to the base Survival Mode that are included with Parts One to Four, as well as the remaining free updates coming in Parts Five and Six.

To see the full TALES Roadmap, please visit: https://www.thelongdark.com/expansion/

Along with the launch of TALES, this release will update the base Story and Survival games to match the other platforms, so you will notice a new configuration of the Main Menu. This release will update THE LONG DARK on Switch to the same updated codebase and content framework as exists on all our other platforms, so please note all Switch players will receive an update even if they don’t purchase the TALES DLC.

If you run into any issues with TALES or the Switch version of the game, post-update, please contact our Support team at https://www.hinterlandgames.com/support.

Thanks for your patience as we finally put TALES FROM THE FAR TERRITORY into your hands. We hope you enjoy this significant expansion to Survival Mode. 

Keep your eyes on the eShop on August 1st!

NOTE: Survival saves will be wiped with this update. WINTERMUTE saves will not be affected.

- Raph (on behalf of the team at Hinterland)

• Upvote 13
  • Like 2

That's great!

I'm primarily a PC Long Dark player, but pretty much everything else gaming wise (aside from Cities Skylines) is done on my Switch, which is the first Nintendo console I've ever owned and which I think is the greatest gaming thing ever, despite it's lack of grunt. I've always enjoyed Long Dark on the go on it for lunch-breaks and holidays and actually find it a little liberating by having 'serious' long-running survival runs on my PC where I agonise over potential death and more daring disposable worry-free runs on my Switch where I try to push the envelope. 

I'm hoping there'll be some subtle graphical / performance upgrades with the update, but I understand the Switch is relatively creaky, so if it don't happen it don't happen and there ti is. Either way I know we Long Dark Switch players should be having a lot of fun with the free update / DLC. 

• Upvote 1

• Hinterland
10 hours ago, rush247 said:

Just to confirm @Raphael van Lierop, current save games on Switch will become obsolete once the update drops like they did on other platforms right?

Yup, same as when we launched TALES on the other platforms. Survival will be wiped, Story will be untouched. (Updated the post to include this detail.)

• Upvote 6

• Hinterland
5 minutes ago, Nervous Pete said:

I'm hoping there'll be some subtle graphical / performance upgrades with the update, but I understand the Switch is relatively creaky, so if it don't happen it don't happen and there ti is. Either way I know we Long Dark Switch players should be having a lot of fun with the free update / DLC. 

Not with this update, but we're working on a variety of visual enhancements for Part Six. That said, most of them are targeted at higher-end platforms, but we'll include whatever viable enhancements we can on the Switch, considering the hardware limitations.

• Upvote 5

• Hinterland

I personally want to apologize to any Switch players who will have their Survival saves wiped with this! I know it sucks. We overhauled the entire save system and big parts of the game have essentially be rebuilt/refactored, so it was just impossible to maintain save parity.

All I can say is that I hope it's SLIGHTLY less annoying than it was for people who bought TALES when it first came out, with only Part One content to assuage their sadness about losing their old progress. With Parts One to Four and all the additional free updates, it's going to feel like a pretty big overhaul considering you've missed all the intervening updates that PC, Xbox, and PlayStation players have had access to.

• Upvote 6

3 minutes ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

I personally want to apologize to any Switch players who will have their Survival saves wiped with this! I know it sucks. We overhauled the entire save system and big parts of the game have essentially be rebuilt/refactored, so it was just impossible to maintain save parity.

All I can say is that I hope it's SLIGHTLY less annoying than it was for people who bought TALES when it first came out, with only Part One content to assuage their sadness about losing their old progress. With Parts One to Four and all the additional free updates, it's going to feel like a pretty big overhaul considering you've missed all the intervening updates that PC, Xbox, and PlayStation players have had access to.

It did kind of suck to lose saves on XBox, offset by being able to access old saves on my Steam copy of the game via the Time Capsule. But you gave us a warning in advance, so I and my family were able to wrap up our long saves on XBox before the update came, and we bought the TFTFT DLC on Steam and XBox.

I haven't played on Switch for some time (joy-cons vs. arthritic hands...), so I am not sure I will be buying the DLC for Switch for myself, but I know my son & daughter are looking forward to picking it up so they can take it with them while sitting on the bus or playing while on their lunch breaks at work. They are both very excited for the update and the DLC on Switch.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pyroxene said:

Yeah, I guess it's worth paying for the Switch DLC... Brand new regions and all

I know it's tough losing the older saves , especially if they're longer runs but it's really worth it ..there's lots of great new things in the dlc,...

• Upvote 5
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Pyroxene said:

I'm asking myself if it's worth paying for new regions if my save games are wiped simultaneously... Starting all the way back in Milton again doesn't seem like a lot of fun...

You're getting a lot as it is just for updating.  There's the new fishing stuff, oak trees/acorns, does (female deer), mementos, fire-hardened arrows and the new prepper bunkers.  So lots of new stuff even without buying.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pyroxene said:

At what time is the update released?

On Steam, the usual release time is around 9-10am PST (6-7pm CET). Don't know if that applies to the Switch as well but that would be my guess.