Possibly a new game in its self or a different setting within the game

I wouldn't mind this as a concept, but it isn't very "Canada", and HL seems to be very focused on Canada-centric content as apposed to America-centric content (which makes good sense to me... they are a Canadian development studio).

In the meantime- there is a free-to-play game called "Arid" on Steam, is you have a Steam account. A student-made survival game set in a desert environment. A bit rough around the edges, but it could give you an idea how a game like this would feel.

Edited by ThePancakeLady
Typonese, always typonese
  • Upvote 5

13 minutes ago, ThePancakeLady said:

I wouldn't mind this as a concept, but it isn't very "Canada", and HL seems to be very focused on Canada-centric content as apposed to America-centric content (which makes good sense to me... they are a Canadian development studio).

In the meantime- there is a free-to-paly game called "Arid" on Steam, is you have a Steam account. A student-made survival game set in a desert environment. A bit rough around the edges, but it could give you an idea how a game like this would feel.

I agree that it is very Canadian. But i live in kamloops BC. I get both the crazy winter stuff as well as the desert/heat stuff. It wouldn't be tooo far off to have a summer setting as well. 

I will deff check out the game you suggest :)

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

It'd be nice to see great bear through the seasons but maybe in a new game...  It'd be a lot of work to add to it now.

Welcome to the forum😊

It deff would be alot of work. It was just a random thought my brain had while i was playing, thought i would throw it out there :)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Dreamingpothead said:

It deff would be alot of work. It was just a random thought my brain had while i was playing, thought i would throw it out there :)

You're not the only one who's wanted seasons in the game, there's even videos on ytube somewhere of the trains running through great bear in summer..😊

11 minutes ago, Dreamingpothead said:

I will deff check out the game you suggest :)

Yep. Keep in mind it is a student made game, so expect bugs and some "interesting" mechanics and design choices. It's also not likely to get many, if any, updates- since the class that developed it has long since moved on. I enjoyed it, but I also was not expecting anything but a "tech demo" type of experience.

• Upvote 1

Arid is a good suggestion if you want to check out a "desert survival" that has similar mechanics. I believe it was inspired by TLD.

There's also Firewatch, it's not a survival game and the mechanics are entirely different but visually it has a really similar vibe to TLD and it's set in the dead heat of summer in North America. A great playthrough.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

Great Bear would become very different in summer unless you were going to add some sort of boat or canoe mechanic... large sections of a lot of the maps would be unreachable, Forlorn Muskeg would be 80% impassable, Jackrabbit and Misanthrope Island would be unreachable, The Riken unreachable... and you would have your new greatest enemy...one you could do almost nothing about... the Black Fly

• Upvote 4

On 7/15/2024 at 4:52 PM, Dreamingpothead said:

A summer version. Same basic game and idea but summer. 

Heat stroke, misquotes, sun burn, rattle snakes.. Dust storms.. mirage.. Things like that

Green Hell has been a very "Jungle version of TLD but with combat" for me. Exploring out into a dangerous wilderness. Keeping and eye on your needs. Running into danger then limping back to camp. lol

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 3:51 PM, Sherri said:

Green Hell has been a very "Jungle version of TLD but with combat" for me. Exploring out into a dangerous wilderness. Keeping and eye on your needs. Running into danger then limping back to camp. lol

how are you enjoying it ? I have it in my backlog but may dive in this week....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cr41g said:

how are you enjoying it ? I have it in my backlog but may dive in this week....

Very, very much. I just finished the massive SOA expansion and have considered myself done with it after 175 punishing hours both solo and with my husband. :D I really like how you evolve as you play - from an incompetent weakling getting hurt and poisoned left and right, limping through the jungle without a clue... to a confident master of the jungle well equipped and knowledgeable. And very little of that is via traditional levelling up in-game but because of the survival knowledge you gain via experience. Really effective sense of accomplishment.

• Upvote 1