I found the Trader's Camp (Mods/Fan Art)

Just left Trapper's on my way to the Far Territories when I stumbled across this encampment. 

opener.thumb.png.774ef709cd5ea5de459e94e9a674e016.png

Looks like somebody has set up shop here?    It appears the fabled trader has set up shop in the ole Poacher's Camp in Forlorn Muskeg!

2.thumb.png.406afaa68ee9ebc42648b02a27ab1384.png

tanning racks and quarters bags

3.thumb.png.2fe8ee5e9c16cdc7f74d4974ecf1c0c2.png

Must have just killed a bear!

4.thumb.png.a043d9ded1bf54536dc8402650bac3f0.png

looks like a great spot to rest

5.thumb.png.cb2aec0178b68ecf5b4e94c0f51c46e4.png

Trader must eat petty well - dining al fresco

7.thumb.png.661a12e18d9aed232a4f6584abb5cbbb.png

Trader sure has quite the life, eh?

8.thumb.png.5e32a2b7b18f4ea5959f7e590ab53d84.png

Looks like the evening approaches

4a.thumb.png.a5f60c3ecb84c3eeb35926d1915e6a7d.png

let's go look inside

6.thumb.png.ab5509478435f49c8056f7e63be1e175.png

checking out the front of the trading post

9.thumb.png.1c882356dcaafa4233d0aa85cf348d08.png

stepping inside for the first time

10.thumb.png.e8c94fcee6587000aeef77753f206625.png

from the items on display, you can see the trader gets around

11.thumb.png.e4bc7cfe80a5c76d464dcac57e2abad8.png

looks like there's quite a little bit of everything

12.thumb.png.5eaa8ea1be891f94099494076f1447bf.png

what a tremendous assortment of items

13.thumb.png.bcd124b9f9d2c02ebdf0722be7608a83.png

trader's got extra pillows under their bed

14.thumb.png.3a75a11ea825ad813f89e4112eaafb8b.png

some one of a kind munchies to be had

15.thumb.png.afaa67966434c4e6352275f3deb71a80.png

I'd dare to say a pretty impressive amount of gear to be hauling around

16.thumb.png.e1c20686beac6a4b48edc0641cf64f61.png

For all your hardware needs, rifles and pistols and lamps!  Oh my!

17.thumb.png.7def63b8a00a4bc01e01734b49de45c4.png

always time for a little bit of reading

18.thumb.png.7837742de4140ddf786ec25c3f50b676.png

nothing better than a charcuterie table with a spectacular view 

closer.thumb.png.0619af1c3520e685f0234b370dd597b9.png

now if I only could find the Trader...
I got some caps I'd like to spend

• Upvote 8
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Raphael van Lierop said:

Nice! That must have been a LOT of work.

Do you mind if we label this as Fan Art, to avoid confusion where people might see this and think it's the actual Trader coming in TALES? Thanks! (We can edit the thread title for you.)

Thank you,
and yes, please label as such as I would hate to cause any issues because of my passion for this game.  And again, thank you for taking the time out to notice.  It took me quite a while to build this little encampment!

• Upvote 5

• ManicManiac changed the title to I found the Trader's Camp (Mods/Fan Art)

@Semple Fi
well, besides obviously playing with some mods, but thanks to the mod Place Anywhere I was able to "stage" those items on the walls.  The furniture mod DIY Furniture is also heavily featured with the shelves, tables and chairs and the hanging hooks.  The hooks just are the right thing to make it look proper imho.  Took me about 15 hours irl picking each item up and putting it somewhere.  Definitely a labor of love!

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, piddy3825 said:

@Semple Fi
well, besides obviously playing with some mods, but thanks to the mod Place Anywhere I was able to "stage" those items on the walls.  The furniture mod DIY Furniture is also heavily featured with the shelves, tables and chairs and the hanging hooks.  The hooks just are the right thing to make it look proper imho.  Took me about 15 hours irl picking each item up and putting it somewhere.  Definitely a labor of love!

I’ve thought of mods, but I’ve been hesitant to permanently alter the game

Perhaps I just don’t know enough about mods

Edited by Semple Fi
Add
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Semple Fi said:

I’ve thought of mods, but I’ve been hesitant to permanently alter the game

Perhaps I just don’t know enough about mods

There are some very clever mods out there that really enhance the quality of game play without sacrificing any core game playing mechanics, usually referred to as quality-of-life mods.  Place Anywhere is one of the qol mods that simply improve on the existing underlying mechanics in the game.  Having the ability to stack items or hang items on walls merely improve the aesthetics in the game and have no bearing whatsoever on the mechanics governing the game.  Of course, the food items in the game are consumable, but in my games, I don't consume them, rather I display them.  

At this point, I myself, as are many other players, am patiently waiting for the rest of the intended enhancements to the game to be developed and implemented.  So looking forward to finally getting the trader into the game, and more so for the implementation of the base customization dlc.    The game sure has come a long way since the "curing in place" glitch was discovered by one of the players here so many years ago.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Semple Fi said:

@piddy3825

No issues with crashing/extra glitches because of the Place Anywhere mod?

or having to wipe and reinstall…

You have a link to it?

No, no issues with crashing.  The mods themselves are incredibly stable.  You can pretty much add and delete mods without any issues.  The most noticeable thing for example would be that all the furniture that I've crafted like the shelves and chairs would disappear if I uninstalled the mod.  As to the mod place anywhere, if I were to uninstall that now, the in-game items will still be where I place them.  The only thing would be without the mod, I wouldn't be able to put some things back in place if I were to take them down.

If you're interested in modding your game, you will need to download Melon Loader and update your pc's .net runtime as well as download and install the various mods.  Super easy as matter of fact.  Here are the links to everything you'll need - 

Releases · LavaGang/MelonLoader (github.com)

Download .NET 6.0 (Linux, macOS, and Windows) (microsoft.com)

The Long Dark - Mod List (xpazeman.com)

If you've questions at modding your game, you can actually talk to the mod authors themselves on the TLD modding discord channel, here's the link to them as well -

• Discord | #general | The Long Dark Modding

Edited by piddy3825
spelling
  • Like 1

I like it, but my favourite is your restaurant in, (Good heavens, it is so long since I played the game I can't remember the name of the region, or is it old age), in the hunting lodge.

6 hours ago, peteloud said:

I like it, but my favourite is your restaurant in, (Good heavens, it is so long since I played the game I can't remember the name of the region, or is it old age), in the hunting lodge.

Hello old friend!  Been a while since you've graced these forums.  Yeah, the old hunting lodge bistro in the Broken Railroad region.
I wonder if those pics are still here somewhere. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

Hello old friend!  Been a while since you've graced these forums.  Yeah, the old hunting lodge bistro in the Broken Railroad region.
I wonder if those pics are still here somewhere. 

It is probably saved under your "attachments"

@piddy3825 The gun rack is from DIY right? I tried adding it and all of its dependencies but all it did was disable my ability to smash a crate. I could not see any additional craft menus so I must be missing something. I really want gun racks in my base instead of tossing my curators rifle on the floor

On 5/25/2024 at 3:23 PM, Sito said:

@piddy3825 The gun rack is from DIY right? I tried adding it and all of its dependencies but all it did was disable my ability to smash a crate. I could not see any additional craft menus so I must be missing something. I really want gun racks in my base instead of tossing my curators rifle on the floor

yeah, the gun rack is from DIY Furniture.  The only downside to this mod, is that the items you craft cannot be broken down and the material salvaged.  As to mod dependencies, be sure you have all the necessary support mods installed with the latest working updates.

3 hours ago, piddy3825 said:

yeah, the gun rack is from DIY Furniture.  The only downside to this mod, is that the items you craft cannot be broken down and the material salvaged.  As to mod dependencies, be sure you have all the necessary support mods installed with the latest working updates.

Thanks. I will try add it again. Too bad there is no explanation about it in the description. Hopefully the June update from HL won't break mods. 

5 hours ago, Sito said:

Hopefully the June update from HL won't break mods. 

Honestly, even if it does, the modding community is pretty quick to get their work updated.  

on a side note, there is a troubleshooting thread on the TLD modding discord channel that reads the usage log generated by Melonloader each time the game is launched.  You just cut and paste the log on the troubleshooting thread and the system will check the data for continuity and give you a list of missing or out of date dependencies.  
Here's the link - • Discord | #troubleshooting | The Long Dark Modding 

After seeing your trader's stall I decided to give TLD another try and play with the mods. 

It became a heluva hassle.  I have so many different versions of TLD and hundreds of saves, spread over three computers and more hard disks and partitions that anyone would believe.  Just finding the game with a save that ran was a problem.  When I found a working pair, I added some mods and had a load more trouble.

Yesterday I thought that I had cracked the problem.  I went back to a pre-TFT version and ran it online from Steam.  It worked great,  Then I added Melon & 3 or 4  mods, incl. Place Anywhere.  It didn't work 😬.

On 5/29/2024 at 5:27 PM, piddy3825 said:

Honestly, even if it does, the modding community is pretty quick to get their work updated.  

on a side note, there is a troubleshooting thread on the TLD modding discord channel that reads the usage log generated by Melonloader each time the game is launched.  You just cut and paste the log on the troubleshooting thread and the system will check the data for continuity and give you a list of missing or out of date dependencies.  
Here's the link - • Discord | #troubleshooting | The Long Dark Modding 

I don't do discord but I agree that the mod community takes no time to get them working again. Thanks Piddy

• Upvote 1

I applaud your efforts. It must have taken much effort and patience, to place so much stuff as you have. Especially with the unwanted attention of the locals perhaps?

My own efforts are much more modest as I like to keep moving, but they do accumulate over time.

Well done!

• 3 weeks later...