Tea Kettle (we see them around here and there)

UTC-10

Capacity 1 liter

Allows brewing four of the same drinks (resulting in four drinks of 0.10 liter each) at the same time for +1 minutes per additional cup brewed (so 7-9 (whatever it is) minutes for one cup, +3 minutes for four cups). Uses 1 liter of potable water since boiling non-potable water into potable water takes 21 minutes.  If the devs want to give the option, they could allow for halting the process as the water boiling phase starts and allow the tea or coffee to be added at that point.  Of course if the boiling did not reach the required time the tea or coffee might be either 1) non-potable i.e. drinking gives chance of illness along with the benefit of the drink or 2) the brewing drinks are completely ruined (so don't let it fail to reach boiling).  There is also the cost of getting back only 0.4 liters of the 1.0 liter initially used.  

Can be used to melt snow taking 21 minutes and then boil the melted snow in 21 minutes.  

Cannot be used to cook food except maybe for soups.  

• Upvote 9
  • Like 1

Not sure we need a tea kettle with all of the ways we have to make water and cook teas/coffee- but I do agree that being able to brew a half of an insulated flask's capacity at one time (especially on a single burner stove) would be nice. I have several old steel camp coffee pots that could make 4-6 cups of coffee or water at once, so this would be a similar kind of thing.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

they could allow for halting the process as the water boiling phase starts and allow the tea or coffee to be added at that point

I don't think that would work without tweaking the mechanics... at this point, the water is still non-potable. Now, if Hinterland were to add a distinction between "boiled" water and "boiling" water, sort of like a "fourth phase", then that might work, and to boot we'd be able to drink hot water :).

• Upvote 1

Yes it would require more work to be able to do the secondary of add tea or coffee to the melted snow (non-potable water) but that was just a possible option.  I don't think they would do that (more work) but it can't be said it wasn't suggested.  ☺️

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/10/2024 at 4:47 AM, ThePancakeLady said:

Not sure we need a tea kettle with all of the ways we have to make water and cook teas/coffee- but I do agree that being able to brew a half of an insulated flask's capacity at one time (especially on a single burner stove) would be nice. I have several old steel camp coffee pots that could make 4-6 cups of coffee or water at once, so this would be a similar kind of thing.

I wish we could also just drink out of the flask instead of haveing to take the drink out

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, TyTheFly said:

I wish we could also just drink out of the flask instead of haveing to take the drink out

Yeah, that would be nice. I am assuming we are using the metal cap as a cup, which also makes sense. I am guessing it was set up this way to keep track of servings. I don't think we can put partial servings into the flask, but we can cancel out part way through drinking a cup of coffee or tea. Which could be tricky if we drink directly from the flask. But I agree, it would be a bit more immersive.

Edited by ThePancakeLady
Typo- what else?
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, ThePancakeLady said:

Yeah, that would be nice. I am assuming we are using the metal cap as a cup, which also makes sense. I am guessing it was set up this way to keep track of servings. I don't think we can put partial servings into the flask, but we can cancel out part way through drinking a cup of coffee or tea. Which could be tricky if we drink directly from the flask. But I agree, it would be a bit more immersive.

Yea i guess I could see the serving issue but I would think it would be like drinking water you drink untill your thirst is all the way up or you drink all you can but I guess water gliches to because sometimes i get 0.00 gal

The devs could enable drinking straight from the flask but probably would impose on the act the requirement that the indicator go around the clock for each cup.  That would seem to be the method most compatible with the mechanic used for drinking.  

• 1 month later...

On further thought something occurred to me, that would still require backroom work, would be to make it possible to brew more than one cup of tea or coffee at a time in a skillet or pot.  The default would always be one cup but a skillet or pot could have the option to make up to four cups. Recycled cans stay stuck at one cup.  It would be an expansion on what can be done with a skillet and a pot. 

I was thinking up to four (4) cups in a skillet (because of the 0.25 liter of potable water per cup to be brewed) and up to eight (8) cups in a pot.  This would have some utility as an insulated flask can hold eight cups so one pot might take maybe 15 minutes and two liters of water and appropriate number of tea bags or spoons of  coffee to brew eight cups of tea   or coffee :coffee:.  But that might be excessive.  

To ease the backroom work and be consistent, perhaps up to four cups would be best.  

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, UTC-10 said:

On further thought something occurred to me, that would still require backroom work, would be to make it possible to brew more than one cup of tea or coffee at a time in a skillet or pot.

This idea strikes me as a lot harder to design on a programming angle than a kettle, right? You'd need to change the UI in some way to allow you to select multiple items to "cook" in the same skillet/pot. Whereas for a kettle, you could separate it from the regular cooking system, making it only able to melt/boil Water, but being very good at it, and once it's done, if the kettle's still hot you can immediately convert the water into tea.

I would like it, but I'm bri'ish, we build kettles into our tanks, so I don't think I'm qualified to give a reasonable opinion on kettle necessity.

• 2 months later...

After seeing someone who has to empty the insulated flask then place each cup on the snow near a fire to warm them, I wondered how about moving the contents, however full it is, enmass into a pot and possibly a skillet to warm up then can be moved enmass back into the insulated flask.  The insulated flask contains eight cups, 0.8 liters, so a skillet should nominally be enough and a pot has more than enough space.  Note this is not to brew just to heat up the drinks.  

One realism problem I can sort of foresee is that pouring the contents of an insulated flask into a skillet or pot is pretty straight forward but getting it back into the insulated flask might be seen as potential for spillage.  Of course if the devs decided to do this they could just make it so.  

I can also see how little it adds to the game being more a quality of life (make the character's life a bit easier) thing.  I also doubt that it would come into the regular play of the game given where we are with TLD as the devs have a lot to do even at this stage.  

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1