Wolf barriers?

I know people who build rock caches to block cave entrances or shed entrances- they apparently mess with the pathing of wolves, timberwolves and bear. I haven't tried it- but I am betting that this is what they were doing. I just can't be bothered to haul 50 stones to one place to try it out and risk doing it wrong and dying anyway.

• Upvote 1

I have used rcok cache in cave entrances, it is difficult to work without the place anywere mod but it is the only thing that I have been able to verify that works as a barrier against bears and wolves, sometimes they manage to find the hole, so with playceanywere it is more complicated.

I do think that was patched. The stones were a marker to show where the barrier was, but the wolves couldn't cross whether the stones were there or not. 

Pretty sure the ash Canyon one was patched but not sure if there are others. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 5/7/2024 at 12:09 AM, Pencil said:

I do think that was patched. The stones were a marker to show where the barrier was, but the wolves couldn't cross whether the stones were there or not. 

There are several working ones, altough not as large as the AC ones. Known  to me:

- one at front of DAM (outside of fence)

- At Quonset garage front door

- PV to WR Cave front

- ML to MT Cave front

- TWM MHUT front.

There was one at MT Park office, which is patched out.

There was one in PV Thomson crossing bridge, worked against bear, patched out (I found out about patching in a painful way).

There was one it PV to KP North transition that worked against bear, I doesn't know if it still works .

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 11:36 AM, conanjaguar said:

I remember watching one of @Zaknafein's videos a while back - I think it was his older "Road to 500 days" series - and he was dropping stones as sort of a "wolf barrier". I can't find the video now but I'm curious, does this actually work?

On 5/6/2024 at 3:09 PM, Pencil said:

Yes, Zak has mentioned this in many of his videos, but I think you are most likely referencing this video about Zaknafein's "Ash Canyon" wolf barrier. This was changed several years ago, and while most of the information in that guide/tutorial is accurate (except for the Loot Refresh), none of this 'wolf barrier' information is. Don't attempt this with wolves in any region now, you'll die.

Far as I'm aware there are no "wolf barriers" in the game any longer in any region in Survival aside from a handful of "outdoors" structures where certain types of animals are prohibited from pathing to, such as

Spoiler

Timberwolves are prohibited from pathing into Bricklayer's Retreat in Blackrock. Though they can attack the player if they are on the dock around it.

There are still of course many areas of terrain or doodads which animals cannot/cannot easily path to, such as:

Spoiler

Most (but not all) wooden and tree bridges and docks.

On 5/7/2024 at 10:52 PM, Jalos said:

- one at front of DAM (outside of fence)

Not sure what you mean by this, do you mean the geometry of the fence itself? Wolves can enter the fenced off area of the ML side of Carter, but only if they

Spoiler

spawn inside

or you leave the gate open.

- At Quonset garage front door

I don't believe this is accurate, by "front door" do you meant the street-side/ocean side entrance where the gas pumps are? I've lived extensively in Quonset on Interloper for hundreds of days on 2.29 and about 100 on 2.30, and cannot think of any point in TLD's history when this was the case. I've been attacked directly at both entrances numerous times by wolves, so what you're describing is probably not a "wolf barrier" but rather wolves being scared by some other mechanic

Spoiler

Like wolf/bearskin clothes, the innate 5% fear chance, or if you're standing on non-pathable doodads like a campfire's cooking spots.

There is also a mechanic where wolves and other hostile wildlife will be de-spawned if the player transitions too close to them, under certain circumstances.

- PV to WR Cave front

- ML to MT Cave front

Never heard of these before. Where exactly do you mean, the Mystery Lake side of the MT-ML cave? Isn't the Pleasant Valley to Winding River entrance up on a steep slope? I'm not sure if that is a "wolf barrier" so much as simply unpathable terrain. IMO a "wolf barrier" suggests some scripting zone, instructing wolves to ignore or flee from the survivor if he's inside/outside that region.

- TWM MHUT front.

I don't think this one is implemented currently either, and can't think of a time in the last few years when it was. Been attacked numerous times by wolves standing in the doorway to Mountaineer's Hut, and even been moose-stomped inside of it.

Edited by Veskaida
  • Upvote 1