Praise for The Long Dark

I think we should all stop and praise Hinterland for their amazing job so far. Four episodes of wintermute, lots of new regions, dlc, new updates... Just an amazing and big game for so little money.

• Upvote 8

Considering I found the game around the time it was first coming to Steam Early Access... I can emphatically state that I have been given far more value from The Long Dark than any game I've played (especially since I've playing more-or-less consistently for nearly 9 1/2 years now). 

CvddIiVXgAAiANo.jpg

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 6

I think people often miss something about complaints or criticism:

When people come here to voice those it's because they care enough about the game to do it.
Nobody is going to go sign up to a game's forum if they've mentally clocked out from it and no longer have any passion left for it

In my mind there's 3 stages of community/player engagement in games

• The first Is excitement, where people are happy, excited and positive towards the game because things are going well
  • The second is concern/disappointment/whatever, where people aren't happy, but still care enough about the game to voice that 
  • The third stage is apathy, which is the actually dangerous one, in which people don't care enough about the game to be negative about it, and they move on to other things

Behind every complaint there's usually a very big fan of the game who's concerned or frustrated. 
If they weren't a big fan, they wouldn't bother. You're not going to get worked up about something you don't care for

And when you're feeling negative you most likely won't go out of your way to praise other things, you're probably gonna hyper focus on what bothers you

Yeah, there are overly negative people that only complain about things and always brush aside anything good
Yeah, there are overly positive people that only ever praise things and brush aside any issues or problems that exist

But most people are reasonable.

Anyway uhhh, yeah this game is pretty good. 

Edited by BugReportEnthusiast
phrasing
  • Upvote 4

@BugReportEnthusiast
And there is no problem whatever with genuine critique... or criticism... or incongruent points of view.
It's when it gets disrespectful, insulting, hostile, etc... that's when it becomes an issue. :) 

Since you mentioned it... we have had folks who come here angry and make an account just to be toxic.
It happens far more than you think.  :D 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 5

4 hours ago, ManicManiac said:

@BugReportEnthusiast
And there is no problem whatever with genuine critique... or criticism... or incongruent points of view.
It's when it gets disrespectful, insulting, hostile, etc... that's when it becomes an issue. :) 

Since you mentioned it... we have had folks who come here angry and make an account just to be toxic.
It happens far more than you think.  :D 

Toxic people are everywhere, specific in steam, discord, social media.... because of this I'm no longer active in so toxic community's and I'm glad for this forum! Life is hard enough.... 

• Upvote 3

In agreement here -- TLD is one of the very few games that I would put on my "top shelf". I came late to this game but have been playing fairly consistently ever since. I love open world exploration and challenges but have never enjoyed constant forced battles or having to memorize intricate button combinations/sequences.  The option to play on Pilgrim without losing the main challenge of the game fits me perfectly. The visuals, game mechanics and soundtrack all add up to a great gaming experience. Top Notch at an amazingly fair price!!

• Upvote 3

I find this game is a work of art. There are nods to Canadian artists throughout the game, including folks like Tom Thomson, Emily Carr, and the Group of Seven, from the mountains ringing the regions to specific locations that hearken to famous paintings by these early 20th century Canadian artists, as well as being an astoundingly good example of the art of video games. 

As a Canadian, I find Great Bear Island a beautifully compelling alternative world. When friends (I'm old) ask me to describe the game, I call it Hinterland's long languorous love letter to the BC wilderness and Canadian art, as well as a peculiarly Canadian vision of purgatory. I suspect this is why I like the deep game so much; the truly quotidian day to day of continuing to live while moving about this flawed but beautiful landscape is a lot like purgatory; neither good nor bad, one simply is.

It is a truly remarkable experience.

Edited by stratvox
  • Upvote 4