How many bears have you killed on any of your runs?

I'm at 102 dead bears on my 1765 day Voyageur run.  That is about one every 17 days. 

Admittedly bears more frequently on Voyageur - every 15 days by my reckoning.

As I think about it, my Will on Voyageur subsists almost exclusively on bear meat for long stretches.

Do you recall numbers of killed bears on long runs?

• Upvote 1

I really only kill the PV farm one so only about 42  on my 745 day pilgrim  run..   I wish he'd come back ..     I have got 33 moose kills to boost meat supplies on some maps though.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/13/2024 at 3:48 AM, Leeanda said:

I really only kill the PV farm one so only about 42  on my 745 day pilgrim  run..   I wish he'd come back ..     I have got 33 moose kills to boost meat supplies on some maps though.

Leeanda, I find it more difficult to hunt bears and wolves on Pilgrim as the creatures get scared and run off.  However, apart from killing 3 moose, either for satchel or because they were in the way, I don't hunt moose.  In my opinion they are notably more difficult to deal with than bears.

33 moose I thus find very impressive.

Edited by Blizzard Walker
missing words

11 minutes ago, Blizzard Walker said:

Leeanda, I find it more difficult to hunt bears and wolves on Pilgrim as the creatures get scared and run off.  However, apart from killing 3 moose, either for satchel or because they were in the way, I don't hunt moose.  In my opinion they are notably more difficult to deal with than bears.

33 moose I thus find very impressive.

Thank you...     

I do prefer the moose as I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to bears..I hate the cut scene ..   the only bear I kill with the rifle is the PV farm one and that's through the window lol...  The rest I find I can get extremely close to from behind ,crouched ,and using the flare gun get an instakill at least 99.9%of the time..    I guess with the moose I've been lucky finding as many but I'm rather nomadic and in most maps I'll go out my way to find them.. 

Wolves are a nightmare for me too.. I've only got about 90 on that run,most by long range at level 4 and 5 with the curators....

• Upvote 2

On long (>200 days) vanilla looper runs, my big game killing rate stat is 5-6 days/kill. I'm not only killing them, but fully harvesting the meats and hides, and partially the guts. 

On 3/14/2024 at 7:34 PM, Leeanda said:

I do prefer the moose as I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to bears..I hate the cut scene ..

I hear you, it's the same for me. I had a REALLY hard time with Wintermute ep2 for that reason.

I tried to bear / moose hunt with a bow at some point but would ALWAYS get mauled / trampled after the first arrow. Not sure how it's done outside of being in an unattainable spot that would also be at close enough range, which can only be a tiny fraction of the opportunities you get...

59 minutes ago, PilgrimReaper said:

I hear you, it's the same for me. I had a REALLY hard time with Wintermute ep2 for that reason.

I tried to bear / moose hunt with a bow at some point but would ALWAYS get mauled / trampled after the first arrow. Not sure how it's done outside of being in an unattainable spot that would also be at close enough range, which can only be a tiny fraction of the opportunities you get...

Episode 2 was a nightmare,and because of console issues and things I had to do it three times.. with my son doing the towers twice for me and the cave all three.. the cave bit was bugged at the time though.. it'd be nice if we could skip the cut scenes..

I know what you mean, I go everywhere in bear territory with the flare gun on, and I will get multiple sprains and lose life to get to a safe position to fire from..   I'm terrible with the bow that's why I like the curators  rifle ..  for me on pilgrim its the bear thats way more likely to come for me than the moose

I've only been trampled twice and one was intentional lol.. I thought I'd see what it was like😁.    I've only ever had one one shot bow kill on the moose too..

• Upvote 1

@PilgrimReaper, @Leeanda,

On Passive wildlife, it's all about position and crouching (since they scare so easily).  I'll use the rifle until lvl 5 Archery then almost exclusively the bow due to the bleed-out (except Moose, on which I will always use rifle).  If you look around enough and spot a good, safe sniping spot in the prey's path, it's actually quite easy to safely get a shot in, then wait for the bleed-out.

20 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

On Passive wildlife, it's all about position and crouching (since they scare so easily).  I'll use the rifle until lvl 5 Archery then almost exclusively the bow due to the bleed-out (except Moose, on which I will always use rifle).  If you look around enough and spot a good, safe sniping spot in the prey's path, it's actually quite easy to safely get a shot in, then wait for the bleed-out.

Also a benefit of the rifle ,which is why I use it more on the moose. I can get right above it's head most of the time..    archery isn't my best skill despite being level 5. ,I find my shots are just too random and I have real trouble finding the arrows  too..  

I honestly don't have much patience to wait for bleed outs.. 

On my side run,stalker/looper passive ,yesterday I crawled up to the moose until I was about 3 metres away and shot it right in the face with the flare gun,at which point he ran off,i also got a shot into his rear as well..   hes a tough beast to kill,but i do wonder if its a bit bugged,.he didnt even move for a good 45 seconds before he ran.. that's how i had time to reload and get s second shot off.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Leeanda said:

he didnt even move for a good 45 seconds before he ran.. that's how i had time to reload and get s second shot off.

Yeah, that shouldn't happen - he should either charge or flee immediately.

On 3/18/2024 at 2:41 PM, hozz1235 said:

I agree completely, the only issue I have is that with a bow I need to be close enough that, once hit, the bear will immediately (and with confounding speed) charge at me and maul without (seemingly) any possibility to avoid it...

Otherwise, for the stats: 548 days / 57 bears / 14 moose.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, PilgrimReaper said:

I agree completely, the only issue I have is that with a bow I need to be close enough that, once hit, the bear will immediately (and with confounding speed) charge at me and maul without (seemingly) any possibility to avoid it...

Otherwise, for the stats: 548 days / 57 bears / 14 moose.

Position yourself somewhere where: a) he can't reach you, or b) you are on a ledge with a place to drop down to where he can't reach you.  i.e. use the landscape/terrain to your advantage.

• Upvote 1

It's amazing how fast the bear can run..  pilgrim doesn't get the slow amble towards you,its all or nothing lol..

Some of my favourite places for ambush shots are..

Pv-  in the farm porch.....     Next to one of the tractors at the barn

Forlorn- up at the top of the bent tree halfway between ml exit and the red carriage.....  On the fallen tree over the red carriage

Bleak-on the fallen tree over the cabin roof ,or just on the cabin roof itself..

Broken railroad -from the rope climb next to the lodge

Desolation- the top end of the riken

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Position yourself somewhere where: a) he can't reach you, or b) you are on a ledge with a place to drop down to where he can't reach you.  i.e. use the landscape/terrain to your advantage.

That makes sense. It's always felt like such a minority of cases where that would actually work, that I've just defaulted to using the rifle for bears and moose.

2 minutes ago, PilgrimReaper said:

That makes sense. It's always felt like such a minority of cases where that would actually work, that I've just defaulted to using the rifle for bears and moose.

I've pretty much used this tactic since the beginning.  It becomes second nature once you get the knack of it.  Besides, it adds some strategy needed.

7 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

hozz1235, all excellent advice.  Never engage a bear in a fair fight.

The key to bear hunting is to be somewhere the bear can't get to. I almost exclusively hunt with the bow (I will use a rifle in a pinch but generally I prefer to use the bow). I like rock faces as a place to hunt from; you manage to get up on one and then edge yourself down a bit along a cliff over a place you know the bear will pass, then crouch. When the bear is close, you stand up, draw, and fire. Since it can't reach you it will flee, and once it flees it's immediately safe to get down and go about your day. Come back the next day and start looking for the carcass so you can do the things that need to be done. 

I basically use the same technique to hunt moose, though you will have to stay there and keep pounding arrows into it until you get it to drop; that can take quite a few arrows if you're rolling badly on the crits. For example, the moose on the bridge in DP I like to get up on the cliff next to the waterfall and fire arrows; from that location you can fire over and over again at the moose in total safety. Good practice for your mid-range archery. The one thing is ... you're gonna be there all day. All day. Hit it, it runs, wanders back to bridge, drop one right at its feet, it runs, gotta wait for it to get back to the bridge, put another one into it, it runs, lather rinse repeat.

15 minutes ago, stratvox said:

The key to bear hunting is to be somewhere the bear can't get to. I almost exclusively hunt with the bow (I will use a rifle in a pinch but generally I prefer to use the bow). I like rock faces as a place to hunt from; you manage to get up on one and then edge yourself down a bit along a cliff over a place you know the bear will pass, then crouch. When the bear is close, you stand up, draw, and fire. Since it can't reach you it will flee, and once it flees it's immediately safe to get down and go about your day. Come back the next day and start looking for the carcass so you can do the things that need to be done. 

I basically use the same technique to hunt moose, though you will have to stay there and keep pounding arrows into it until you get it to drop; that can take quite a few arrows if you're rolling badly on the crits. For example, the moose on the bridge in DP I like to get up on the cliff next to the waterfall and fire arrows; from that location you can fire over and over again at the moose in total safety. Good practice for your mid-range archery. The one thing is ... you're gonna be there all day. All day. Hit it, it runs, wanders back to bridge, drop one right at its feet, it runs, gotta wait for it to get back to the bridge, put another one into it, it runs, lather rinse repeat.

I've had a few times when the bear can't reach me,like from the climb at the lodge the other day, it just kept running at the rope then reset and repeated..     for maybe the last year or so on pilgrim I've noticed they're more likely to run at me than away....no matter where i am

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Leeanda said:

for maybe the last year or so on pilgrim I've noticed they're more likely to run at me than away....no matter where i am

I think Hinterland's been tinkering a little bit with the animal AI, which is a good thing, because generally it's not really that great.

2 minutes ago, stratvox said:

I think Hinterland's been tinkering a little bit with the animal AI, which is a good thing, because generally it's not really that great.

I think some of the bears are a bit glitchy though, but I agree,I think they have changed a bit overall..

I know I play pilgrim but I do take the wolf fear off which also makes a difference to bears behaviour.

• Upvote 1

I generally avoid bears as they eat me a lot. But my current run is on day 318 and ive finally brought my bears killed number to above “times mauled by bears” number. Killed 11, mauled 10 times. Dont judge. Me and bears, we got history.

• Like 1