Your TLD skills (In Real Life!)

On 3/23/2024 at 3:27 PM, artmunki said:

Mending? :P

I can attest that besides patching the odd hole here and there, usually in kids’ stuffed animals, suturing doesnt make for good sewing. Maybe I could be immune to bloodloss or something….

14 hours ago, TiffTastic said:

I can attest that besides patching the odd hole here and there, usually in kids’ stuffed animals, suturing doesnt make for good sewing. Maybe I could be immune to bloodloss or something….

Aye, but mending is a kinda undefined skill in the game anyway, so you can imagine it covers broader applications, and using fishing tackle for sewing does at least make it just a little bit more like suturing.  ^_^

• Upvote 2

Archery: 1 - Never used a bow, other than a toy bow when I was a kid.

Carcass Harvesting: 1 - Never went hunting before, so never done it.

Cooking: 4 - Work as a baker, and cook for my household, so I have a good idea on what to do.

Fire Starting: 3 - I have went camping plenty of times before, learnt how to start campfires.

Ice Fishing: 2 - Been fishing, but not ice fishing. Might have some idea on what to do?

Mending: 2 - I have learnt to patch up clothing in a pinch.

Rifle/Revolver skill: 0 - Never held a gun in real life.

Gunsmithing: -5 - Would likely blow myself up.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, artmunki said:

Aye, but mending is a kinda undefined skill in the game anyway, so you can imagine it covers broader applications, and using fishing tackle for sewing does at least make it just a little bit more like suturing.  ^_^

Those are good points. Especially with the fishing tackle. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, TiffTastic said:

Those are good points. Especially with the fishing tackle. 

Never used a proper suture myself, but after a clumsy accident a few years back I got to watch in fascination as a charge nurse stitched closed the very neat slash I'd managed to give myself on the back of my thumb. Before the stitches I could see the pink bones of my moving thumb joint, so the whole experience is kinda indelibly etched in my memory. And of course, is now often recalled when I think about using a hook & gut to mend stuff in TLD.  ^_^

• Upvote 2

On 3/25/2024 at 7:21 PM, artmunki said:

Never used a proper suture myself, but after a clumsy accident a few years back I got to watch in fascination as a charge nurse stitched closed the very neat slash I'd managed to give myself on the back of my thumb. Before the stitches I could see the pink bones of my moving thumb joint, so the whole experience is kinda indelibly etched in my memory. And of course, is now often recalled when I think about using a hook & gut to mend stuff in TLD.  ^_^

I could suture with a hook if I needed to, but I have no idea how to get the line to stay on there without making a knot or metal loop that would make the pull thru brutal and crude

3 hours ago, TiffTastic said:

I could suture with a hook if I needed to, but I have no idea how to get the line to stay on there without making a knot or metal loop that would make the pull thru brutal and crude

I've seen hooks that had no loop to tie to, and instead the end of the shaft was flattened into a sorta tiny flat spoon shape - I guess you bind the line tight around the shaft, and the slightly wider spoon bit stops it from slipping off. I have no idea what those hooks were meant for, but it seems like they'd be a little easier to pull through than doubled-over loops, if you used them for stitching.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, artmunki said:

I've seen hooks that had no loop to tie to, and instead the end of the shaft was flattened into a sorta tiny flat spoon shape - I guess you bind the line tight around the shaft, and the slightly wider spoon bit stops it from slipping off. I have no idea what those hooks were meant for, but it seems like they'd be a little easier to pull through than doubled-over loops, if you used them for stitching.

I can think of ways to make em but it would require metalworking a good bit above the level that I know how to do

• Upvote 1

Carcass Harvesting: 2

(I've field dressed and processed the meat before, but I wouldn't say Im skilled.)

Cooking: 1

(I can keep the food safe, I cannot make things more complicated than a sandwhich however.)

Fishing: 2

(Used to do it a lot in my childhood. Not anymore.)

Sewing: 1 (Thread instantly knots and tangles in my vicinity)

Fire Starting: 3

(Nearly a 4, I can make one with a bow drill. If theres an ember, dry enough fuel, and favorable wind I can reliably save it. )

Gunsmithing: 1

(I mean.. I could probably make a slamgun, potentially a trigger system if I had a workshop. Single shot weapons only. But it probably wouldn't be worth my time. Gunpowder? Forget it. )

Rifle Firearm: 3 (I can hit the target very reliably, moving shots need work... )

Revolver Firearm: 2

(i suck at pulling trigger without moving the gun, but I can operate a pistol proficiently.)

Archery: 1 (No practice or drawstrength)

Cleaning: 35 (I can clean the gun, with the proper stuff. But Im prone to not and get the gun rusty from condensation.

Repair: 50 (sure, Im very creative with how to patch things up.)

Sharpening: 35 (I can hone an edge, but I can dull it with use in half the time. XD

• Upvote 3