Recycled can recipes

JerimiahSettle

There's a whole tab for can recipes, yet there isn't a single one in the game. It would be awesome to cook up broth or soups in it, and since it's smaller it would create a 'small soup portion' that takes less overall ingredients to make. Same with broth, less ingredients, but also only 1 portion. Also, this should make cans lose durability. What else could be cooked in a can? 

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, JerimiahSettle said:

There's a whole tab for can recipes, yet there isn't a single one in the game. It would be awesome to cook up broth or soups in it, and since it's smaller it would create a 'small soup portion' that takes less overall ingredients to make. Same with broth, less ingredients, but also only 1 portion. Also, this should make cans lose durability. What else could be cooked in a can? 

I’m thinking there will be a few with update 5, maybe some soups or special hot beverages 

• Upvote 2

I'm hoping with the base customisation they will add candles or crude oil lamps using recycled cans, cloth and lamp oil or rendered fat. I'm fond of crafting at night and sleeping in the fishing huts during the day to reduce cabin fever risk.

An ambient light source and long burning fire keeper would be a nice addition to the game.

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/27/2023 at 5:07 PM, JerimiahSettle said:

There's a whole tab for can recipes, yet there isn't a single one in the game

I’d like to resurrect this post…. How about a mushroom soup recipe?

Basically the same as the Reishi Tea but added salt, flour, and burdock.  

• Upvote 3

On 12/27/2023 at 5:07 PM, JerimiahSettle said:

There's a whole tab for can recipes, yet there isn't a single one in the game.

Yeah, this seems like a bit of an oversight. Maybe at least move tea and coffee there so we don't have to click through the dozens of other items we are currently carrying?

51 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

Yeah, this seems like a bit of an oversight. Maybe at least move tea and coffee there so we don't have to click through the dozens of other items we are currently carrying?

The only issue with that is- the Frontier Cooking recipes that have listed recipes for the Skillet and the Cooking Pot can only be cooked using one or the other. Pancakes- only in the skillet, porridge only in a cooking pot. Things like water, coffee, teas, soup, peaches- (things that can be cooked in anything) use the "Place" side-scrolling menu if you have more than one thing to cook in in your inventory. (Place- can/ skillet/ cooking pot). By putting coffee and tea into the Recycled Can menu- might limit things and make them *only* able to be cooked in recycled cans- no more coffee in a cooking pot.

• Upvote 1

If I were supposed to structure Frontier Cooking, I would probably start with pot stew recipes as providing two servings of the stew (maybe the amount of material would be adjusted upwards for that purpose) and stipulate that using a recycled can version of the pot stew recipe uses the same amount of starting materials (or at least a disproportionately large amount) as the pot recipe but provide only one serving. 

There can be objections that that amount of materials could not fit into a recycled can or the waste involved insults one's sensibilities but the response would be that is the price paid for using a recycled can instead of a pot.  Choose wisely and don't complain if the outcome is not entirely to your satisfaction.  

A more extreme version or extension of this might require that the portion produced by the recycled can recipe has to be consumed on the spot otherwise it is lost.  That would be a substantial change from regular game mechanics.  

Disproportionate use of ingredients would be my first choice for making pot stew recipes work within the recycled can limitation.  Possibly easier to do in terms of programming but what do I know.  

• Upvote 1