Bleak Inlet Cannery Parkour to the Workshop

dahemac

This is an old observation. But I really think it needs to be addressed.

I understand the game design reason for setting up the navigation puzzle that is the Bleak Inlet Cannery Parkour to the Workshop. But it is only an interesting puzzle once.
Surely in role-playing logic anyone having figured the thing out once, would do something to shorten it. No one would willingly do it twice. They sure as heck would never jump a second time from a roof to the boat.

They could shovel the snow away from the door in front of the car.
They could put one of the ladders that are scattered around up against the broken stairs on the shore side of the broken pier building.
They could put a climbing rope from the crane on the Workshop side of the broken room so that they could climb up just there.

There ought to be a way of “fixing” the connection once the player has first, once, figured the puzzle out.

It somewhat spoils the cannery to do this parkour over and over and over and over and over. I genuinely feel annoyed every time I have to do it now that I have done it so many dozens of times. Please, someone needs to address this.

• Upvote 7

Haha, omg, you have no idea.

I have a day 70-something voyager right now and made my base in there,  I had everything in there except some extra trash in the trailer house nearby.  Every single time I go in I have to climb the rope, then navagate all the treacherous paths, which, honestly it isn't that bad, it's just a little annoying.  If you just use it for the ammo bench it's fine mostly.

But I was out, hunting the moose (named him Fred) nearby, and got attacked.  Desperate for the meat I shot again (was attacked again) and miraculously survived, but with two broken ribs.  It took 140-something hours to heal before I could go back into my base.  Lived off scraps and had no arrows (they were all in Fred 😄).  My mistake, but I would've very much appreciated a simpler path (even if it did require a rope).

Maybe have a spot that a mountaineering rope can be attached in the garage/barn that has the broken stairs.  It would require you to find an extra rope (which maybe could just be stolen from it's current place there, maybe not) and it would still require you to be under max weight, not be exausted and not have broken ribs.  Still difficult, just less travel time on all those boards.

P.S. Eventually I got Fred (used a rifle that time) and now have a lovely satchel (my first one!)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hozz1235 said:

Yikes...you're making things harder than you need to ;)

My base is in there. The parkour is not hard, it is just tedious and annoying if you have to do it over and over. It is also mad. The in-game character who set that up was surely on the edge of insanity since he could have just put the rope, or a ladder at the broken stairs instead of all that dangerous schlamassel. Let players bypass it once they have figured it out once. No one wants to do a puzzle they have already figured out, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and…

Edited by dahemac
clarificaton
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, dahemac said:

My base is in there. The parkour is not hard, it is just tedious and annoying if you have to do it over and over. It is also mad. The in-game character who set that up was surely on the edge of insanity since he could have just put the rope, or a ladder at the broken stairs instead of all that dangerous schlamassel. Let players bypass it once they have figured it out once. No one wants to do a puzzle they have already figured out, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and…

I meant, you picked a difficult place to have a base.  Yes, there are some amenities there, but the hauling of gear...yikes. 
Isn't there a "drop on one side, run over, and pick up" method though?  I seem to remember someone posting something about that.

...I just don't think it's that big a "chore."
I mean, the scripted incursions of Timberwolves only happens the first time you go through it... and it's possible to do so without being detected (I've done it on Stalker where the Timberwolf populations are the densest).

After the first go... subsequent trips through the "rafters" are kind of trivial.  

Also... if we make a habit of leaving one Timberwolf alive from each pack you thin out... I have yet to see a pack "recover"/repaswn after that point.  I've seen packs rotate territories, but after all packs in Bleak Inlet have been culled down to one each... I've not seen the population recover for the duration of the rest of the run (revisiting after months in-game). 

:coffee::fire::coffee:
Besides... it seems like this idea really just serves to make like easier for the player, and I'm rarely in favor of things that only serve to make life easier for the player. :D 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Leeanda said:

in fairness it can get a bit tedious sometimes if you need to make multiple trips inside

Certainly, that can be tedious... but I think if we plan our trips to the workshop more optimally, we shouldn't really need to make repeated consecutive trips. 
Even when seeking to maximize my Gun Smithing skill by mass-crafting ammunition... I think I'd only made a total of 5 trips over the course of my entire run to haul in the needed supplies.

To your point though... anything in TLD's core gameplay loop can be seen as tedious depending on one's point of view.
The 3-7 trips up and down Timberwolf Mountain (depending on which method we use) to bring down all the goodies from the summit - just to name one.

It could even be argued that the "survival grind" at the heart of the game is tedious... but struggling to survive is constant work and struggle.
And it's that struggle that I love so much about this game.

Long story short... I see what OP is getting at.
I just don't think it's that big a chore considering the rest of the core gameplay loop.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Certainly, that can be tedious... but if we plan our trips to the workshop more optimally, we shouldn't really need to make repeated consecutive trips. 
Even when seeking to maximize my Gun Smithing skill by mass-crafting ammunition... I think I'd only made a total of 5 trips over the course of my entire run to haul in the needed supplies.

To your point though... anything in TLD's core gameplay loop can be seen as tedious depending on one's point of view.
The 3-7 trips up and down Timberwolf Mountain (depending on which method we use) to bring down all the goodies from the summit - just to name one).
It could also be argued that the "survival grind" at the heart of the game is tedious... but struggling to survive is constant work and struggle.
And it's that struggle that I love so much about this game.

That's very true... sometimes a trek can be a nice soothing journey and others it feels like you really are taking hours to not get very far.. but it's all still fun..

I'm always overweight and dragging loads of loot in  to the cannery.  I think I now have 9 gunpowders in there alone and Im still dragging in lead and charcoal etc😁

• Upvote 1

On 10/25/2023 at 3:15 PM, dahemac said:

This is an old observation. But I really think it needs to be addressed.

I understand the game design reason for setting up the navigation puzzle that is the Bleak Inlet Cannery Parkour to the Workshop. But it is only an interesting puzzle once.
Surely in role-playing logic anyone having figured the thing out once, would do something to shorten it. No one would willingly do it twice. They sure as heck would never jump a second time from a roof to the boat.

They could shovel the snow away from the door in front of the car.
They could put one of the ladders that are scattered around up against the broken stairs on the shore side of the broken pier building.
They could put a climbing rope from the crane on the Workshop side of the broken room so that they could climb up just there.

There ought to be a way of “fixing” the connection once the player has first, once, figured the puzzle out.

It somewhat spoils the cannery to do this parkour over and over and over and over and over. I genuinely feel annoyed every time I have to do it now that I have done it so many dozens of times. Please, someone needs to address this.

I remember when everyone was diligently hunting for a place to deploy the rope found there in anticipation that it was there in the cannery specifically to allow the parkour to be skipped on subsequent visits.  Certainly, some great alternative there.  One I thought of is if HL would add in a fire-escape ladder somewhere on the same side as the forge or even inside the forge that the player could lower to the ground during their first visit (creating a floor hatch opening that could be used on subsequent visits).

• Upvote 4

@hozz1235
I'm not sure what your point is... I wasn't denigrating anyone's opinion; I was just simply stating mine.  
You're comment seems to serve no purpose other than to elicit a response...  :D 

Folks don't need to "agree" with me, just like they don't have to agree with you... that's not something I care about when I interact on these forums. 🤭

I'm not going to be drawn into an argument... I've already said my piece in my previous comments, and I stand by it. 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I'm curious if you can get back that way too?

I tried it out and no, it doesn't look like you can. At least not very easily. But if you go the normal way up the stairs, you can jump down where the railing is broken onto the other side. You shouldn't take damage.

5 minutes ago, Pencil said:

I tried it out and no, it doesn't look like you can. At least not very easily. But if you go the normal way up the stairs, you can jump down where the railing is broken onto the other side. You shouldn't take damage.

Ah I see, thank you...    I usually go back  as far as I can or jump off the pier but because sprains are off my clothes tend to take the brunt of it..

Watching that video of the shortcut gave me anxiety 😅 I would have to be pretty hard pressed to do that.  I'm usually dancing over the heads of a pack of timber wolves and if I fell down into them (gaining a sprain on the bottom)...

I wonder if it's intentional or not though 🤔