Fishing with Tip Up sets

James Hickok

Hello survivors !, 

I was wondering how many of You that play survival mode on Interloper and above use the Tip up system for fishing? I have tried it when it was introduced and never use it on my current runs. Why? It takes too much time to break the ice to get the fish out. The weather is so bad that most of the cases You have to light a fire to not get cold. Lighting a fire in the open especially when you max out the weather conditions (wind change rate) is not wise bcoz the fire will get blown out in no time. Lighting multiple fires is a bad choice as well bcoz you need it mostly for hunting and traveling and its not wise to use fuel and matches for a few fish. 

When i want to fish i use the classic fishing hut with fire on. And when im in a coastal region i dont need to fish - the fish washed out ashore are more than enough to keep my lantern fuel stock in good condition. 

What do you think? Do you have a smart method of using the tip ups? 

I have a classic loper run, in which I have NOT used it and likely won't.  In my other non-loper run, I have used it, but, like you said, find it to be somewhat inefficient due to how much ice you need to break.  I suppose they are mainly to be used in areas where there are no fishing huts, and you're desperate for food.  Or, to be used on easier difficulty levels.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, even on a pilgrim like custom game, I used Tip Ups maybe three times before deciding that it would probably be more efficient to just Ice Fish normally. Maybe if they introduced a tool to cut through the ice faster it may be worth it. I could see them being useful in Fishing Hut deprived regions, but the time spent making the ice fishing hole and then later checking for fish could be a death sentence on harder difficulties, especially if your carrying fish bait and are attracting the local doggos or bears.

Or, a random thought popped into my head, what if a new recipe gave you a bonus to fishing/breaking open ice fishing holes? Probably won't happen, might be more efficient to just melt the ice with whatever hot stew you make 😄

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Leeanda said:

I'd consider using it more if it could be rigged to catch several fish at once..  one or two lines and maybe three hooks  to catch 5 fish?

Maybe you could improve the Tip Up according to your fishing level. At level 1, you get the singular hook with a decent chance of breaking, but at level 5, it could have maybe 3 hooks, and degrade slowly, maybe even surviving a few blizzards. The fish caught wouldn't reflect your level still, but your character would simply learn how to improve the design with experience fishing, maybe realizing that these 3 sticks taped together won't be enough to handle the strength of a Salmon or Bass.

I might go and throw this in a Wishlist post real quick.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Smellyfries said:

Maybe you could improve the Tip Up according to your fishing level. At level 1, you get the singular hook with a decent chance of breaking, but at level 5, it could have maybe 3 hooks, and degrade slowly, maybe even surviving a few blizzards. The fish caught wouldn't reflect your level still, but your character would simply learn how to improve the design with experience fishing, maybe realizing that these 3 sticks taped together won't be enough to handle the strength of a Salmon or Bass.

I might go and throw this in a Wishlist post real quick.

Good idea.. I'll give it a thumbs up if you do😊

The weather isn't always that bad. It's no different from harvesting a bear or a moose. I've had multi hour fishing sessions in DP(just to try it out at first) and HRV where there aren't fishing huts. The yield varies though. Sometimes you get very little for the time put in.

Edited by Serenity

Does anyone have finded yet a windshielded spot for safe fishing?

I think this is a feature designed around regions without fishing huts, but largely useless on stalker/loper, unless there are safe spots to fish with a campfire and do not care about the wind.

Great ideas, great. 

On 10/14/2023 at 2:12 PM, Serenity said:

How is that different from harvesting an animal? 🤷‍♂️ Sometimes the wind changes, but often you can get many hours of harvesting and cooking

It takes same amount of time and rewards with only one fish. Its not efficient enough to waste a fire. Deer grants 8-12 kgs of meat, bear around <30 and moose is a no brainer. 

• Upvote 1

Came back after a long break just to try out some of the newer stuff and have already decided that most, if not all, the additions are just to "fiddly" for my tastes.  I'm finding i'm continuing to fish the old way and cook the old way as well - ignoring the rest as gathering all the bits and pieces of resources and remembering to have them all the "right" ones with me when it comes time to craft or cook is just too much memorization for this old brain to enjoy.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Came back after a long break just to try out some of the newer stuff and have already decided that most, if not all, the additions are just to "fiddly" for my tastes.  I'm finding i'm continuing to fish the old way and cook the old way as well - ignoring the rest as gathering all the bits and pieces of resources and remembering to have them all the "right" ones with me when it comes time to craft or cook is just too much memorization for this old brain to enjoy.

Yeah, same. Sometimes I might cook a recipe for fun as a novelty, but it's too much for my kind of gameplay

The only way I made it sort of works, is when you make a few holes around  a fishing hut. Then you can fish multible holes. Still the main problem is that it takes time to break all the ice to harvest the fish. Probably better off just fishing regulary. It has and advantage to get oil in areas where there are no fishing huts. EG HRV, BR, Milton etc..

• Upvote 1

When it became available I started by making two lures and prepared two holes in the Milton basin. After noticing how easy it is to lose fishing lures and that it takes a long time to get a fish to catch a bite, I got lazy about making more lures.

Perhaps in an area where there are no fishing huts and gear available with a workbench it would be more practical to fish, such as at Brickslayer Retreat Lake, although I have not checked to see if it would allow holes to be drilled in the ice on this lake.

I think to make this feature more useful all rivers and lakes with some minimum depth and frozen surface should allow fishing in this way.

11 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

Came back after a long break just to try out some of the newer stuff and have already decided that most, if not all, the additions are just to "fiddly" for my tastes.  

I think the same. Cooking made the game easier but i almost never cook. The only thing i carry with me is oats maybe. Sometimes ill bake a ptarmigan pie or rosehip pie but i keep all the cooking materials in the main base and dont use it. Dont need to. I even stopped gathering acorns except a few to make lures maybe and thats it. 

1 hour ago, Master_Arne said:

The only way I made it sort of works, is when you make a few holes around  a fishing hut. Then you can fish multible holes. Still the main problem is that it takes time to break all the ice to harvest the fish. Probably better off just fishing regulary. It has and advantage to get oil in areas where there are no fishing huts. EG HRV, BR, Milton etc..

Yeah i tried that and indeed You will be warm and the fire will not get blown out but like you said it takes too much time to break the ice and i would get better yield by spending this time in the hut regular fishing. 

And like you said it is only good when desperately in need of lamp oil and no fishing region. Although you cant fish i all regions even with tip up. 

12 minutes ago, javijungle said:

Perhaps in an area where there are no fishing huts and gear available with a workbench it would be more practical to fish, such as at Brickslayer Retreat Lake, although I have not checked to see if it would allow holes to be drilled in the ice on this lake.

I think to make this feature more useful all rivers and lakes with some minimum depth and frozen surface should allow fishing in this way.

Unfortunatelly You cant fish in the pond outside the Bricklayers which is odd IMO bcoz there is a fishing boat there. 

Yes the whole system needs a revamp. 

17 hours ago, UpUpAway95 said:

I'm finding i'm continuing to fish the old way and cook the old way as well - ignoring the rest as gathering all the bits and pieces of resources and remembering to have them all the "right" ones with me when it comes time to craft or cook is just too much memorization for this old brain to enjoy.

I hear ya.  I tried to organize, sort and visualize as much as possible by making the following spreadsheet:

image.thumb.png.f44863a2f0ba953b7ee1bb3028e6ff06.png

• Like 1

From poking around on the web for ice fishing, I found guideline* that implied to me that the typical temperatures on Great Bear might be too cold for unattended fishing.  At least while you're staring at the ice fishing hole you're moving the fishing line around a bit which helps keep it clear while unattended fishing (tip ups) does not have that.  

One way to maybe help with unattended fishing with tip ups may be to be able to put some lamp oil into the hole to help slow or keep the ice from forming for awhile.  At least if that was added to the mechanic as an option, it would require the character to decide whether the fish to be caught (devs would have to work out how long a given quantity of lamp oil poured into the ice hole would last for how long and how many fish caught) would be worth the price in lamp oil used. 

* What I found as a guideline was 1 inch of ice in 24 hours for a 15 inch-degree (F) day.  For instance it is 25 F which is 32 F - 25 F = 7 which equates to 7/15 inch of ice in 24 hours.  Since a typical ambient air temp on Great Bear can be -20 C that would equate to -4 F or 36/15 (2.4 inches) inches of ice in 24 hours.  Just a guideline but, for me, it gave some sense of scale.  Of course this could be wrong or not so correct.  😐

1 hour ago, UTC-10 said:

At least while you're staring at the ice fishing hole you're moving the fishing line around a bit which helps keep it clear while unattended fishing (tip ups) does not have that.

Another reason ice hut holes ice over slower, is that they are within a building which protects it from the wind (for the most part) and may have radiant heat from the stove (when burning).

I still think there is too much disparity between the tip-up hole and the hut hole.

Edited by hozz1235

What if New Fishing was modified as follows: 

Fishing tackle (can be baited and/or equipped with a lure) put down into the ice hole.  The tackle is tied to a handle (presumably a stick or reclaimed wood) which is put down across the ice hole.  Then snow is piled onto and lightly packed over the hole.  

When the character returns, he digs through the snow which  has served to insulate the exposed water in the ice hole somewhat, breaks the thin ice (assumed equivalent to 10-20% ice, maybe more, maybe less) and pulls up the fishing tackle to see if he caught anything.  Whether or not he caught anything, he can reset the set up to try again and return some time later.  If left long enough the ice hole will completely freeze. 

For the purposes of this modification, tackle breakage is a set % regardless of ice fishing skill since the ice hole was unattended.  The game tests for breakage 6 hours after deployment though I expect it to be at dusk and/or dawn.