Failing to repair clothing should still give mending EXP

LunarLime

I would also be nice if the benefits of skilling up in mending were more interesting than just giving percentage increases. I wouldn't mind if some clothing crafting recipies were locked behind mending skill doors if the skill would progress faster. Would also give players a reason to make some of the worse animal clothing (namely a wolf jacket) before making a bearskin coat if they needed to improve mending skill first.

• Upvote 1

On 8/10/2023 at 10:48 AM, LunarLime said:

You should still learn how to mend your clothing, even if you make a mistake. That's just how life works, right? You learn from your mistakes all the time.

That's all.

Thank you for your suggestion! 

I think that a better solution might be for it to simply not take so many (350) successful mending actions in order to fully train up the skill.
However, I don't think that failed attempts ought to reward skill points (in this context)... I mean, none of the other ones do.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

For further clarity... this is what I mean:

Comparing alongside the other skills (XP necessary/successful actions needed to max the skill)
Archery - 125
Carcass Harvesting - 100
Cooking - 350
Fire Starting - 200
Ice Fishing - 250
Mending - 350
Rifle Firearm - 100
Revolver Firearm - 100
Gunsmithing - 100

So... while I'm good with Cooking needing 350 XP to master (as this is probably the most frequently needed skill on a day-to-day basis), perhaps 350 is a bit too much for Mending.

After all, for those survivors who take good care of their clothing and try not to make "wasteful" mending actions, this will likely be the slowest skill to train up.  Considering this, I would not be against the idea if the XP required to train up the skill was scaled back some.

• Upvote 2

On the other hand... and to fully balance out the considerations:

I would argue that it's not really very important to max out this particular skill.
Sure, the bonuses to how much condition you can squeeze out of materials is always good.
(And reducing wear and tear on sewing kits/fishing tackle is very nice also)
I'd also argue that the biggest benefit is really just the reduction of the chance for failure.

That being said... once we get to level 3 (requiring only 75 xp), the benefits are such that while using a sewing kit the failure rate is almost trivial.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, LunarLime said:

I honestly can't even remember if I ever managed to max out mending.

My technique is typically mending the items which take the smallest amount of time (e.g. cotton socks) up to 100% then scrapping them.  Just takes some persistence, but IMO, isn't that bad.  Ofc, this is much harder on diff levels in which there aren't as many items to mend.

On a similar topic, wouldn't it be cool, that when lvl 5 is obtained, you could mend ruined items?  May make the work more worthwhile.

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

On a similar topic, wouldn't it be cool, that when lvl 5 is obtained, you could mend ruined items?  May make the work more worthwhile.

Would be cool if all skills unlocked some cool unique abilities if you got them to level 5.

Like with archery, you can crouch while using a bow. Cooking removes food poisoning/parasites risk. I can see other skills getting some useful unlocks once you get them to level 5

For example, maybe if you get Ice Fishing to level 5, you can find 'The Big Bass' and other legendary fish. Or maybe just unlock some recipe to get a better fishing lure.

• Upvote 2