Patched out bridge?

Bloodskye

For a long while now, probably since my very first run in survival, something has bugged me about this game. Correct me if I'm wrong (please, for my own sanity), but wasn't there a bridge connecting Crumbling Highway and Desolation Point at some point? I remember it being a bridge very much like Narrow Bridge in Blackrock but longer and more dangerous. Maybe I just spawned in Blackrock and my in my first playthrough it seemed more than it was at the time due to it being new, but I'm not sure. Anyone else remember this or want to tell me I'm misremembering?

You are indeed misremembering it has always been the mine access to get to desolation point. Maybe you’re thinking of raven fall’s trestle going mystery lake to costal highway? That was always the trauma inducing, anxiety spiking point for a lot of folks (myself included) back in the day 

1 hour ago, Enigmaecho said:

You are indeed misremembering it has always been the mine access to get to desolation point. Maybe you’re thinking of raven fall’s trestle going mystery lake to costal highway? That was always the trauma inducing, anxiety spiking point for a lot of folks (myself included) back in the day 

No, Ive crossed that trestle a bazillion times and remember my first time way back in the day. I honestly think I just spawned in Blackrock and forgot, it was a long time ago and I think I died rather quickly not knowing a lot about the game and mechanics. At least I know now that it wasn't in Desolation Point. Thanks!

Yeah, also think you're misremembering, which happens. I've logged over 5000 hours in the game so it does appear in my dreams occasionally, plus I like to play around with mods too which further complicates things.

My best false memory was shortly after Pokemon GO came out, I had a dream where HL released The Long Dark Go. Let me just say, out of all the things in the world that could get me out of the house, that ranked #2, just behind "dude your house is on fire, you might wanna like leave or something."

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Yeah, also think you're misremembering, which happens. I've logged over 5000 hours in the game so it does appear in my dreams occasionally, plus I like to play around with mods too which further complicates things.

My best false memory was shortly after Pokemon GO came out, I had a dream where HL released The Long Dark Go. Let me just say, out of all the things in the world that could get me out of the house, that ranked #2, just behind "dude your house is on fire, you might wanna like leave or something."

Great lol I've effectively created my own personal Mandela effect 

Nope, the last time there were any major physical changes to the game world was when Tales started earlier this year, and a little tiny piece of thing was added to the smashed up bridge in Broken Railroad to allow the player to cross. (and obviously the introduction of the airfield itself, plus the two transition zones to get there. but in terms of changes, only that one piece of bridge.)

You got yourself a bona fide false memory there.

Edited by ajb1978

If it helps you feel any better @Bloodskye, I have the exact same wrong memory: that there is a way from Crumbling Highway to Desolation Point. I don't specifically think it's by the bridge, but for some reason I can't make myself believe that the mine is the only route through, even though I know it is 🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, xanna said:

If it helps you feel any better @Bloodskye, I have the exact same wrong memory: that there is a way from Crumbling Highway to Desolation Point. I don't specifically think it's by the bridge, but for some reason I can't make myself believe that the mine is the only route through, even though I know it is 🤷‍♂️

That does actually make me feel a bit better lol

For some reason I remember an alternate route.

Of course on my first time in that map I was expecting the road to continue and I investigated the bridge and the landslide. But that's the same for every map, so I wonder why this particular imagining turned into such a vivid false memory 🤔

1 hour ago, xanna said:

Of course on my first time in that map I was expecting the road to continue and I investigated the bridge and the landslide. But that's the same for every map, so I wonder why this particular imagining turned into such a vivid false memory 🤔

That's exactly what I was thinking. I know for a fact, as I'm a long time player, that the mine is the connection between the regions, but man I swear there was another way. 

13 hours ago, Bloodskye said:

Does make me wonder what the hell I'm thinking about though. Was there ever a bridge like that anywhere aside from Blackrock or Ravine that got removed or modified?

Nope, nothing of the sort. Now that I think about it, the only times Hinterland has really overhauled an outdoor area at all (to my recollection)  is with the outdoor area of Carter's Hydro Dam, and Thomson's Crossing/Rural Crossroads, along with some other parts of Unpleasant Valley.

Edited by LunarLime

2 hours ago, LunarLime said:

Nope, nothing of the sort. Now that I think about it, the only times Hinterland has really overhauled an outdoor area at all (to my recollection)  is with the outdoor area of Carter's Hydro Dam, and Thomson's Crossing/Rural Crossroads, along with some other parts of Unpleasant Valley.

Forestry lookout at Mystery Lake too. At some point back in early release the lookout used to be where the destroyed one is today. And the lookout we know today just wasn't even there. There were also some random changes in ML, PV, CH, and the Ravine when TWM was first added. They changed some of the landscape features here and there across the world when adding the rope climb spots.

8 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

Forestry lookout at Mystery Lake too. At some point back in early release the lookout used to be where the destroyed one is today. And the lookout we know today just wasn't even there. There were also some random changes in ML, PV, CH, and the Ravine when TWM was first added. They changed some of the landscape features here and there across the world when adding the rope climb spots.

Shit, I completely forgot about Forestry Lookout. I'm ashamed, that used to be my favorite safehouse back in the day. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, LunarLime said:

that used to be my favorite safehouse back in the day. 

Dude no judgement, but....can you explain that one? Why?

Was it the view? The location frankly sucked, IMO.

Edit: Maybe it's the same reason I live at Paradise Meadows. It's a pretty crap location objectively speaking, but it just does it for me. "Because I like it, shut your face," is a perfectly acceptable answer.

Edited by ajb1978
  • Upvote 1

I also have a less strong but still definite false memory that there's another building in Milton away from the town. I know there's not. I reckon I spent too much time before I knew the maps watching others play while half asleep. Maybe I dreamed these things.

1 hour ago, ajb1978 said:

Dude no judgement, but....can you explain that one? Why?

Was it the view? The location frankly sucked, IMO.

Two reasons.

One: Yes, it was the view.

Two: For some reason, back in the day I always made it my 'head cannon' of sorts was that my character was a newly hired forestry lookout that just so happened to start his new career on the worst day possible, when 'The Quiet Apocalypse' began. So my character just stayed there for as long as they could.

And a bonus reason is that I've always just liked setting up bases in unusual spots. For example, whenever I set up in Desolation Point, I usually stay in the Stone Church.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, xanna said:

I also have a less strong but still definite false memory that there's another building in Milton away from the town. I know there's not. I reckon I spent too much time before I knew the maps watching others play while half asleep. Maybe I dreamed these things.

Well, there is the Hermit house in Milton Basin lol but that's destroyed.

14 hours ago, LunarLime said:

back in the day I always made it my 'head cannon' of sorts was that my character was a newly hired forestry lookout that just so happened to start his new career on the worst day possible, when 'The Quiet Apocalypse' began.

I love this! 

On 7/19/2023 at 7:19 PM, conanjaguar said:

I could have sworn there was a broken bridge between the two areas.

Creepypasta time?

There Is.You go through crumbling highway and to Abandoned Harris Home Just beyond that is a broken bridge that goes over a creek full of dead trees where wolves like to ambush you. 

You cannot cross the bridge tho, only go around. 

There's a safe bridge before the raven falls trestle. It leads into a tunnel which might be misremembered as a mine.

Theres also a bridge just before the derailment in where you cross the fallen tree thats an "alternate route" other than the usual path through birch trees by a cave. Its a dead end though. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, xanna said:

I seem to remember that as well. Wasn’t there a trailer on the road to Milton back before Wintermute’s Redux?