Great Bear Island Cookbook (Hinterland Store)

ManicManiac

Oh yeah I'm always in favor of new recipes. I always learn at least something new from every cookbook I've read. Like sure, every cook book has a recipe for beef stew somewhere in it, but had I not encountered the Marlboro Cigarette Cookbook, I would never have thought to try putting cinnamon in my stew.

I also would not have realized what a terrible idea that was, or that a cookbook sold by a deathbroker might not be the best source of culinary advice, but hey. Still learned something. And yes, this is a true story lol

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

had I not encountered the Marlboro Cigarette Cookbook, I would never have thought to try putting cinnamon in my stew.

I think we put some cinnamon in chili just about every time we make it… still turns out delicious. Nutmeg is better still, goes in just about anything.

But other than that, cinnamon should stay with sweet potatoes and apple pie where it belongs ;).

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

I think we put some cinnamon in chili just about every time we make it… still turns out delicious. Nutmeg is better still, goes in just about anything.

But other than that, cinnamon should stay with sweet potatoes and apple pie where it belongs ;).

Why !!!!!   Why would you put that devil stuff in an apple pie??😁.    

• Upvote 3

On 7/15/2023 at 1:21 PM, Leeanda said:

Why !!!!!   Why would you put that devil stuff in an apple pie??😁.    

We live among monsters. Better restock on real coffee and leave that acorn crap to the pretenders. Trust me, I've tried both...you want the real deal.

• Upvote 2

On 7/17/2023 at 12:18 AM, ajb1978 said:

We live among monsters. Better restock on real coffee and leave that acorn crap to the pretenders. Trust me, I've tried both...you want the real deal.

Got to admit I don't like coffee at all so the thought of acorn coffee is even worse😁

Cinnamon does in fact go well in some stews, it is essential even in some mediterranean dishes (mousaka for e.g., or lassagne, or tagine).
Must not overdo it though, it needs to stay that secret ingredient people cannot decypher, instead of overpowering your dish.
And definitely not in every stew - just in some.
Also, I find using cassia, and of course whole pieces of it give a more subtle and more interesting flavour, than that light-brown powder produced en masse of whoknowswhat.
(just my personal opinion)

Edited by AdamvR
  • Upvote 1

On 7/15/2023 at 5:19 AM, ManicManiac said:

I very rarely put up a wishlist item.
However, after a recent conversation I had with @ajb1978...
I realize that I'd really love to buy a Great Bear Island Cookbook from the Hinterland store someday.

:coffee::fire::coffee:

Thanks, @ManicManiac! Sounds like we might benefit from some additional recipe suggestions... 

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...