Fast travel

Tohono O'odham Man

2 minutes ago, hozz1235 said:

There are no tracks going into AC though?

Just the ones in the mine itself, which means they come out somewhere? Because if the only entrance in and out is where the rope is tied off, that would definitely lend itself to a pack mule theory. 

Edited by Semple Fi
🙂

14 minutes ago, Semple Fi said:

Just the ones in the mine itself, which means they come out somewhere? Because if the only entrance in and out is where the rope is tied off, that would definitely lend itself to a pack mule theory. 

Correct.  It was very common to have tracks in the mine to haul out the ore for (typically) processing elsewhere.  The tracks would usually end just outside the mine, where the ore was transferred to other forms of transportation then taken to stamp mills.

Mine Railroad Track Underground Mining Stock Photo 126301100 | Shutterstock

Edited by hozz1235
  • Upvote 1

I think a hand car would be interesting. Limited to the intact tracks, which is logical and balanced. But on the other hand i can see that HL don't want any fast travel options in the game, despite writing it on the roadmap many years ago. I'm kind of undecided

Edited by Karl Grylls

23 hours ago, Semple Fi said:

I know I know

but that’s part of it.  Maybe a mule instead of a horse.

Remember though, a travois was on the road map for this DLC. Granted, the releases have been...ehh... how to put it delicately... "devastatingly tragic", but the intent was there. OK realistically speaking "devastatingly tragic" is not how I would genuinely put it, because I fully understand the difficulties of managing a software sprint cycle, and so this ribbing of HL is intended with the best brotherly love, but at the same time, I'm not pullin my punches. Y'all gotta do better, you know it, we know it, so topic done.

Short version: This may already be solved. Stand by.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, ajb1978 said:

OK realistically speaking "devastatingly tragic" is not how I would genuinely put it, because I fully understand the difficulties of managing a software sprint cycle, and so this ribbing of HL is intended with the best brotherly love, but at the same time, I'm not pullin my punches.

I'm also a software engineer so understand as well.  When this DLC is done (as much as I like to see new content), I really think HL should take some time and "clean things up" - fixing remaining bugs and taking a serious look at their testing methodology and maybe their development approach/architecture to help minimize these "side-effect" bugs which keep cropping up.  The old, "Fix one thing and break another" conundrum us devs are far too familiar with.

• Upvote 1

I feel like it would have to be only usuable during the aurora to be balanced, I'm thinking more aurora mines like the one in CH with minecarts connecting them, and you have to unlock each mine first before you can travel between them.

Generally though, fast travel in TLD is a bad idea and should not be implemented.

• Upvote 2

There was a bit of discussion a while back on this thread:

It was tossed around that a fast travel system like that used in Kingdom Come: Deliverance *might* work.

Essentially, in KCD, you could fast travel from one town to the other, as long as you weren’t overencumbered or tired. This would take place on the “world map”, and the game would track the time; your hunger and tiredness throughout the trip; as well as throwing an occasional surprise at you that you could either evade or come back to the “real” world and try to deal with.

An adaption of this system *could* work, but it would be very complicated, as it would have to keep track of all the player’s needs, sudden changes in weather, and wildlife encounters. It would also significantly detract from much of TLD’s “feel” as much of your playtime is going to be walking from place to place, often heavily encumbered.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, FlamingFuball said:

Generally though, fast travel in TLD is a bad idea and should not be implemented.

As with all things, just because it’s implemented doesn’t mean every player has to use it.  
The Devs have done a good job (IMO) of balancing the game for multiple play styles.  
*IF* a type of fast travel option was implemented, I’m sure it would be balanced accordingly.  

TLD purists don’t really exist in the form of only interloper, or only pilgrim.
 In the same vein, there can be a balanced fast travel option that still harmonizes with the original intent.  

“Just you against the elements”

image.gif.3251754c21fc56de7fbf3ab79927d7a2.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 8:13 AM, hozz1235 said:

I'm also a software engineer so understand as well.  When this DLC is done (as much as I like to see new content), I really think HL should take some time and "clean things up" - fixing remaining bugs and taking a serious look at their testing methodology and maybe their development approach/architecture to help minimize these "side-effect" bugs which keep cropping up.  The old, "Fix one thing and break another" conundrum us devs are far too familiar with.

You're my spirit animal, maybe. I've been fighting this fight on my own front for ... crap 7 years now?! Holy monkey. I've gone through two CIO's , four CEO's, and 8 direct managers in the meantime, and nobody friggen gets it. Sorry, this has nothing to do with this game, I'm just venting because the HL forum is one of the few safe spaces I have left.