This really takes away from the game.

ImaginaryAlpaca

I love this game. But one thing has really taken from the game and I have thoughts. It's incredibly annoying when you can't carry much, get weighed down too easily, can't run for long. It's annoying that I have to choose between eating and have supplies, or running. I have suggestions. 

I think maybe adding a fast travel option could be a simple fix, or adding an upgrade system. A way to earn points to upgrade your back pack or increase stamina. I cannot possibly be the only one who gets annoyed that it takes an hour to wall across the game map... 🙄 

• Upvote 1

I definitely see your reasoning, however I have no issue with the current settings. Choosing between being loaded with supplies, or travelling light and moving quickly are some choices I'd assume you'd have to make in an actual survival scenario. It's understandable that they get encumbered, carrying so much stuff and if it annoys you too much, there's always the sachel and well fed bonus. 

Yes, it is a bit of a walking simulator but that's half the fun of tld, you're meant to wander the quiet apocalypse. There's always auto walk that you could use, so your fingers won't hurt holding down the keys like mine do :D

If you're a pc player, I think there's a mod called the sonic mod which I'm pretty sure increases your walking speed. Not tried it out though, this is simply an assumption based on the name

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, ImaginaryAlpaca said:

It's incredibly annoying when you can't carry much, get weighed down too easily, can't run for long.

That's the essence of the game, though.  You have to make a choice.  Wear double bear coats, and be slow, or maybe a moose cloak and mackinaw to be less slow.  Carry ten liters of water and not have to worry about it for a while, or move fast and find your drinking water at one of the stashes you've set up.

If you have light footwear and clothing, both the technical backpack and moose satchel, are well-fed, and carry under 20 kilos you will travel like the wind.

• Upvote 3

about fast travel...

If Hinterland were to entertain the idea of implementing fast travel to the game,
a good fast tavel mechanic/algorythm would have to be developed that was able to take into account many factors like the passage of time, as if the player actually walked from one location to another.  At least that's the way it works in games like FO4.   Not only that, but player condition on arrival would also have to be manipulated for thirst, hunger and exposure due to changes in weather as the player transited.   Not to mention the possiblity of animal attack depending on the difficulty level selected by the player if playing anything but pilgrim.   

I'd be all in favor for implementing such a feature, if the possiblilty of permadeath while in transit was real risk in the game.  Choose to fast travel, oops, got caught in a sudden blizzard,  got hypothermia and died!  lol  hmmm, walking don't seem all that bad, am I right?   

Or perhaps make fast travel an optional feature perhaps merely limited to pligrim mode players or better yet only available in custom settings where no achievements or features can be earned.

• Upvote 1

I completely disagree, the entire point of the game is to be a survivor managing your resources, and it supposed to have a more realistic feel. The intended way to play the game is to walk everywhere, running only when necessary.

If you don't know, there are ways to increase your carrying capacity and they are as follows (spoilers) 

(Spoiler tags kinda broke, so I have more to say inside the spoiler tags than just ways to increase your carrying capacity) 

• Keep your calorie count above 0 for 72 hours, this adds +5kg (+11lbs) to your carrying capacity, this buff lasts until your calorie count reaches 0 again.
  • Acquire/Craft the Moose-Hide Satchel, adds +5kg (+11lbs) to your carrying capacity, simply wear it to gain the buff, and take it off to lose it.
  • Find the Technical Pack, adds a permeant +5kg (+11lbs) to your carrying capacity, and once acquired cannot be lost.

These buffs all stack, meaning a max carrying capacity of 45kg or 99lbs.

This game is one to take slowly, it isn't a fast-paced fps shooter, and that's what makes it unique. It's one of the only survival games with a slow pace, and they encourage that by limiting your carrying capacity, so you have to make decisions, instead of just carrying 400lbs of gear and being able to sprint for 10 minutes straight.

Fast travel does not fit this game whatsoever, take your time, and explore, don't just run between the 3 places you know. 

If you find that the game's pace is too slow for you, then maybe this isn't the game for you.

-SpanishMoss

Edited by SpanishMoss
spoiler tags broke and i needed to add a note about it
  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

There is one fast travel which could be used as example for TLD. The fast travel in Kingdom Come Deliverance. It computes time and meal consumption. Plus there is RNG for encounters.

For me TLD is good without any fast travel possibility. And choosing between weight and speed is essential. The only change I would like is droppable backpack. In this case player could drop backpack and flee fast with only equipment in hands plus the clothing.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Agreed, but wolves and bears are more plentiful in tld vs dangers in kcd. While you can hit a skirmish, an ambush and an occasional 'pilgrim' fast traveling from rattay to skalitz all on one trip, you'll most likely encounter a lot more wolves if you traveled same distance(across whole map).

It might work though!🐺💁‍♂️

Well, like kingdom come does, it gives you a timed warning, so you can either react and take over or you can let fast travel continue.

TLD can probably give you a prompt of some sort as well. Then again, I dont mind traveling. If you make fast travel an option, there's not much else to do🙃

If we continue with KCD idea, the encounter trigger could be like first bark from wolfe, warning roar from bear and such. Player would be immediatelly thrown back to game. Also there would be other triggers like if any of character stats would become red (maybe not hunger).

I would not use any fast travel in TLD. It could result in unexpected deaths. Like in KCD, the ambush is not great to solve during fast travel. Because I did not get to choose place, I usually died during it.

Final thought: For me TLD is about the journey. Although I build fully equipped places like bases. I do like travel from here to there. And on the foot. Anyway the electric snowmobile during aurora sounds nice. Of course it would have to come with proper risk like hitting a tree in 90km/h would be fatal.

6 hours ago, acada said:

in KCD, the ambush is not great to solve during fast travel. Because I did not get to choose place, I usually died during it.

Bow and arrows with bane or that other potion that makes you walk slow. Also, sprinter perk helps. I dress light, so my running speed is great.🙂🙃

If fast travel in TLD warns you with "wolf spotted in distance", that would be great, just enough time to make a decision either press on or detour.

1 hour ago, Stinky socks said:

or that other potion that makes you walk slow.

That would be Lullaby.

I have always been a crappy shot, so I tend to rely on my trusty longsword...

1 hour ago, Stinky socks said:

If fast travel in TLD warns you with "wolf spotted in distance", that would be great, just enough time to make a decision either press on or detour.

Or just a little note at the top of the screen: “BARK”. I would immediately panic!

• Like 1

I just googled, I meant dollmaker potion. It makes NPCs walk normal pace and they can't chase you. That way you can l sprint away and shoot an arrow. Also i think they become more handicapped in battle.

I typically add bane potion to sword or mace and dollmaker on arrows. I also have code in console(~) "wh_pl_showfirecursor 1" -it makes that aim dot stay visible when using bow. It normally disappears.

First playthrough I didn't usually do alchemy, but boy is it useful mechanic!! Also, you can keep alcohol with you as food and just brew a bunch of hair-o-dog potions to sober up. I like spirits or moonshine, gives awesome calorie boost!

1 hour ago, conanjaguar said:

Or just a little note at the top of the screen: “BARK”. I would immediately panic!

...and wolf face appears!😅

16 hours ago, conanjaguar said:

I have always been a crappy shot, so I tend to rely on my trusty longsword...

I am pretty decent with bow. And for close combat I choose my hammer or morning star. It does not care whether oponent has armor.

Anyway even in KCD I tend to not use fast travel. The journey is nice part of the game. BTW game designers nailed the Czech landscape. I really enjoy it. Landscape type, look and sounds are just like I am in midst of Czech. 

BTW when you stay in one inn, I think there is something one could call easter egg. When you listen, there is inn sound background. I think it is one of developers meeting. It is just shards of sentences, but overall feeling is like devs meeting.

• Upvote 1

Ah very neat, I didn't know that about inn sound! It really adds to the immersion, if you close your eyes, ita like that place has a bigger crowd than it really is.

What's a morning star? Bailiffs made? Heavy warhammer is incredible lol. Closest equivalent we have in TLD is...heavy hammer?

Agreed, forest and landscape overall is best I've seen in video games. Lara Croft is also fantastic. Btw, I tried rays and shadows and dlss in shadow of tomb raider and it's incredible! I get like mad fps too on everything WOW!! ultra oh my graphics settings!

By morningstar I meant one of those maces. You know, spiked ball on stick. Bailifs mace is one of them. I was using mainly Ceremonial. But lately I found Ravens beak. It suits me better.

About the sound. I think it is only in one tavern. The one with wagon in front of it and hmmm women offering her services. I remember the sound was to be heard not in the tavern, but when you pay for bed, you get bed in separate room (not like other tavern). So when you go to your room and stay there for some time in evening.

I did not realized, that we have warhammer in TLD as well. :D 

• Like 1

Yes, there is "Heavy Warhammer", which is stronger, and there is also "Heavy War Hammer", little bit less power. They're almost spelled the same, but they are different. Look for no space between "war" and "hammer".

Maybe we should eliminate all this KCD talk, because TLD might get upset.

😁🐺

Well actually, equipped clothing weights 25% of its normal weight, so it's a little more realistic 

3 hours ago, A Lamp said:

Speaking about weight management, one thing that annoys me is the weight of the equipped clothes.

Yes i know that bulky clothes do slow you down, but by taking up some space in your backpack is kinda stupid.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Yes, I guess the easiest way to go about it is the way hinterland did it. Your full weight capacity is backpack lbs. First example, bedroll and lamp are both hanging on your character and not in backpack and they still register as your backpack capacity.

Edited by Stinky socks

On 4/12/2022 at 5:28 AM, ImaginaryAlpaca said:

A way to earn points to upgrade your back pack or increase stamina.

Back to original topic. I dont agree with points system. But for example stamina could be variable. If your character is moving with full backpack a lot, he should gain max weight slowly. If he is sprinting a lot, gain stamina slowly. Both these would apply only if he is fed properly. The same would apply for opposite. Not moving much while full fed? Well your sprinting ability goes down.

• Upvote 1