Dear Hinterland, I don't want to waste anymore matches

6 minutes ago, TwoFatCatz said:

@Leeanda Yes now that I’m thinking about it they are a bit crappy. Yes in my custom game I’ve got so many I had to make a rock cache to put them in.

Again as you said there’s a lot of matches in pilgrim so the accidental match usage isn’t as detrimental, which is why it isn’t till now when I’m playing interloper that I’ve noticed how frustrating it is 😅

I know what you mean...  I tried loper myself the other week and every time I tried to chain a torch it wasted a match....  I admit I was a bit impatient but I wonder if some of it was due to them shaking with the cold..  not likely but just a thought..

Edited by Leeanda
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, TwoFatCatz said:

However, I would still appreciate this being tinkered with.

I understand where you're coming from and I do sympathize... however with the selection interrupt occurring with just two different types of matches nowadays, it seems like it's even less a problem.

I still can't see a good reason to hold an unlit torch to just walk around with... I mean if the idea is to quickly light it in case of an ambush... wouldn't the selection interrupt slow that down and render the idea kind of moot?

I generally recommend if we really feel we need to hold something to fend off wolves in case of an ambush... I'd say the flare is the better choice anyway.  It does take a second or so to strike it... but that's interruptible during the process so there's no "risk of accidentally lighting it."  Whereas if the selection interrupt occurred with just one ignition source in our pack... then we're futzing with that screen (which would also stop you from walking) for much longer than lighting a flare.  *which I'd posit could be the difference between getting mauled and not getting mauled should a wolf be stalking you already.

I just don't see how adding the selection interrupt would be beneficial in that case.
If it's just to avoid misclicks, it's been pretty well demonstrated that there are other ways we have available to us to achieve that already.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
In any case, as I mentioned before... not trying to be argumentative in any negative way, so I'll bow out of the conversation now.  :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 3

I did this with my last match! Panicked  that I didn’t want to waste a match and didn’t light the torch so stoped the process before it was lit and then realised that was the last match and I subsequently froze to death 🥶🥶🥶🥶

• Upvote 1

@conanjaguar
I confirmed your findings for PC (via Steam).
So just as long as you have more than one kind of ignition source, the selection menu does kick in.

I do wonder when that changed.  A while back it treated all matches as one kind of ignition source... but now the striker's not even really necessary for it.  :D 

Again, good Science, thank you.
SE-BI.jpg.0351b4c3fbea0ab997899b5c491f9db7.jpg (560×388)

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

@ManicManiac As long as I’ve played it’s always been like that (I’m on pc).

That’s why I get so frustrated with torches uses a match when you don’t want to. So my suggestion to hinterland is that when you only have one ignition source make sure the ignition source is only used with a full rotation of the circle.

• Upvote 1

@TwoFatCatz
Perhaps so... I suppose it has been a long while (years perhaps) since I've tried other combinations.

In any case, I've bowed out of the misclick/waste matches part of the conversation.
I've said my peace.  Again, I do get where you're coming from... I just don't think it's an issue to train ourselves not to make the mistake that seems to frustrate you so.

We don't agree... but that's okay. :) 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

@ManicManiac Thanks for your contribution anyway. You are right we don’t have to agree. But I’d say you are a seasoned player and have moved past this annoyance , which I’m sure I’ll train myself to avoid such mishaps in my next run. I went to the summit so lighting a torch now gives me a menu. Im doing a bit more investigating with the issue so I’ll test some other things soon. Well as soon as my husband hops of he’s playing stalker 😊.

Tbh Hinterland and I are trying to sort a larger issue that I have at the moment so maybe I’ll mention this one to them  if I get a chance. 👍

@TwoFatCatz
To be clear... I'm not criticizing you or anyone for wanting that change.  Just offering another perspective. :) 

17 minutes ago, TwoFatCatz said:

But I’d say you are a seasoned player and have moved past this annoyance

Thats a fair supposition.  I don't think it's the case, but it's a reasonable observation to propose (considering you likely don't know much about how I approach the game). 

In all honestly, it's just never been an annoyance for me... I've always really loved that this game is willing to punish us for mistakes.  I love this game because of the struggle.  It's much the same reason that I've never really used feats; I'm just not interested in things that make life easier for my survivor.  :D 

Have I had times in my early days of developing my playstyle where I wasted matches in just the way you described, yes... absolutely I have.  However, I just cussed myself out... took it on the chin and resolved to never make that mistake again.   It was the same with accidently firing the revolver "from the hip" unintentionally.  Same situation... I just focused on never making that mistake again either. 

Anyway, this is just how I approach it.  I see a game that just requires us to be careful and deliberate... so when I run into things like this, I don't see something that needs to be changed.  I see something that I need to get better at.

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2023 at 10:19 AM, ajb1978 said:

Lmao I wrote myself an auto-click script mapped to the E key, to make life easier when picking up massive heaps of sticks off the ground. I've gotten so used to just tapping E instead of using the LMB to click on objects, that one time when I went to light a torch I pressed E and blew through two entire cardboard matchbooks in about half a second.

I absolutely save-scummed that one, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. That was dumb.

Thank you for giving me a chuckle moment.