Dear Hinterland, I don't want to waste anymore matches

14 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

lighting the torches in the caves I only had the choice of just two... Seems matches are just matches..  it's always been like that for me.

Thank you.
I'll still check again just in case there are version differences.
I really appreciate the science you've done.
You've tested far more recently than I have.

:coffee::fire::coffee:
DS-SHIRT-Mad-Scientist-Yzma_smol.thumb.jpg.a2044c55d0a373c8e1e2ba5a34c15920.jpg

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ManicManiac said:

Thank you.
I'll still check again just in case there are version differences... but I appreciate the science you've done.

DS-SHIRT-Mad-Scientist-Yzma_smol.thumb.jpg.a2044c55d0a373c8e1e2ba5a34c15920.jpg

I'm not trying to say you're wrong.. just what I've always had..   I know pc is different in a few ways.  I'll be interested to know if there is any differences though.😊

• Upvote 1

@Leeanda
I did edit to clarify... :D 

but no, I don't make any assumptions.
I want to look at what I've experienced vs what others have experienced.  If I have old data, I'd much rather have it updated.
And of course, test it out also... just in case there are small unintended differenced between ports.

I always welcome new information.
Science is always collaborative, and we all have to independently test and experiment... this is how we get better at understanding how the game works and how we can best use the mechanics available to us as survivors. :D 

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ManicManiac said:

@Leeanda
I did edit to clarify... :D 

but no, I don't make any assumptions.
I want to look at what I've experienced vs what others have experienced.  If I have old data, I'd much rather have it updated.
And of course, test it out also... just in case there are small unintended differenced between ports.

I always welcome new information.
Science is always collaborative, and we all have to independently test and experiment... this is how we get better at understanding how the game words and how we can best use the mechanics available to us as survivors. :D 

😁.     

I'm always traipsing through caves these days , and I find the lanterns glare too much. So I use torches a lot.. I never really use the cardboard ones ,I think they're less likely to work in fires(but I could be wrong)   but in ash there's just so many of the things I have to pick some of them up. Just to tidy the place up a bit😅  

I know there's a bug with things at the moment ,I've already lost over 50 matches to it..  maybe you don't have that issue ,but be careful . 

There is some very interesting data out there ,that's true and I for one am grateful for new insights .   I need all the help I can get😁

I'd be interested to see what you find out.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

I never really use the cardboard ones ,I think they're less likely to work in fires(but I could be wrong) 

Yes, you are right.  That's why I keep the carboard matches for lighting a torch (as they never fail to light a torch... and the torch to light the fires). 
image.jpeg.a0c9a80a0f6c2b64e2946101f30552ff.jpeg
"very e-FISH-ent..." 🤭

Edited by ManicManiac
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Yes, you are right.  That's why I keep the carboard matches for lighting a torch (as they never fail to light a torch... and the torch to light the fires). 
image.jpeg.a0c9a80a0f6c2b64e2946101f30552ff.jpeg
"very e-FISH-ent..." 🤭

Lol😁.   

Good to know ,thanks. Thought I was just being paranoid.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ManicManiac said:

From my experience... the game considers wood matches and carboard matches as just "Matches"

For me, whenever I have both kinds of matches and no other ignition source, it does indeed  show the menu (PC-Steam).

Edited by conanjaguar
  • Upvote 2

@ManicManiac hey thanks for your comment. 

No you arnt attacking me personally and I don’t think like that. If I though you were attacking me you’d know about it 🤣.

i agree I don’t have to run around with it out all the time and I’ve started to not do that.

I’m heading to the summit for the fire striker now so that will completely stop the issue.

‘And I never said the majority agreed with me I said if enough people want change then the majority should be heard. I didn’t say anything that meant everyone agreed with me. And then I encouraged people to speak up. Because I believe people have the right to share their voice and be heard. Just like I read your voice and your comment and was thank ful for your contribution.

The problem here is I am hovering over the item with my redicle  and I’m still lighting a match.

Im either moving to fast for the game or something or the hit box is way of on objects. 

And personally I don’t believe That “punishment” for a desk pop or a misclick or potentially just not hovering over the right thing for a split second in this way is needing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

@TwoFatCatz

No, I didn't take anything personally either.  Just wanted to try and better clarify what I was talking about really.

4 minutes ago, TwoFatCatz said:

And I never said the majority agreed with me I said if enough people want change then the majority should be heard.

Fair enough, I didn't mean to misinterpret; it just seemed as though that's what was implied in the context of that comment.  If that wasn't the intent... then again, I didn't mean to misinterpret.  No harm, no foul...  I hope.  :)

• Upvote 1

@ManicManiacNo worries I just “cherry picked” through what you said anyway 🤣 Just jokes I read it. But I would suggest not opening with saying “I’m not attacking you” that immediately gets people a bit concerned. It’s the whole fight or flight thing it’s how we work.

I still want the match issue changed .

Give me a menu every time I want to use my matches. It’s not hard. 

1 hour ago, TwoFatCatz said:

that immediately gets people a bit concerned.

Well, it's kind of a biproduct of folks in the past apparently feeling very "butt-hurt" and frankly hostile when I've not agreed with them.
I only mentioned it up front to try and defuse that.  That was the intention, at any rate. :D 

I love the discussions, but I'm not here for fights/hostility... so I do try to make it clear that I mean no offence on a personal level when I have a point of view that seems to differ from others.

I know very well that it can be difficult to derive tone from text... as we can read it in any "voice" we want.
However, I do try to be as neutral and respectful as possible; especially when it's a point of discussion that's not necessarily agreed upon.

Edited by ManicManiac
Fixing errors.
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

Well, it's kind of a biproduct of folks in the past apparently felling very "butt-hurt" and frankly hostile when I've not agreed with them.
I only mentioned it up front to try and defuse that.  That was the intention, at any rate. :D 

I love the discussions, but I'm not here for fights/hostility... so I do try to make it clear that I mean no offence on a personal level when I have a point of view that seems to differ from others.

I know very well that it can be difficult to derive tone from text... as we can read it in any "voice" we want.
However, I do try to be as neutral and respectful as possible; especially when it's a point of discussion that's not necessarily agreed upon.

Yeah all good. I didn’t feel butt hurt 🤣 huh I wonder why people have found that about your comments? I just though “ah here’s someone who’s passionate about their opinion and wants to make it loud and clear”. It reminded me of myself ☺️

‘People are allowed their opinions. The only time I get annoyed is when people try and push their opinions on others. That’s the worst. 

I totally agree with the people read in their own voice context which is why I also try and be as neutral as possible. 

the whole match menu thing might become annoying but I think it’s a viable option it’s a simple click to confirm that’s what you want to do and I’d take that over wasting a match anyday.

And yay the new patch is out 👍

I wonder when that changed.  🤔 

I'm keen to test it on my end later today.  Now I'm curious if there's been any note of it in previous update logs or if this was a Stealth Change at some point.

In the past I'd only get the selection screen if I had the striker in addition to matches.

Good science @conanjaguar, I appreciate it.

11 minutes ago, ManicManiac said:

I wonder when that changed.  🤔 

I'm keen to test it on my end later today.  Now I'm curious if there's been any note of it in previous update logs or if this was a Stealth Change at some point.

In the past I'd only get the selection screen if I had the striker in addition to matches.

Good science @conanjaguar, I appreciate it.

Seems either I was misremembering or it was bugged before but I checked mine again this morning.

This time I got the option for striker,matches or cardboard matches .     

I did have a few issues with the matches in ash canyon but that was moving them around on the floor, maybe they were generally bugged and that's why they didn't register when lighting the torch.

2 minutes ago, TwoFatCatz said:

If I’ve had cardboard matches and wood matches I’ve always had the option to chose which one I wanted to use. 

I don't use the cardboard ones usually,but starting in ash you occasionally have to use them,whether you want to or not.  That was a very rare exception.

I made it to the summit on interloper 😊 got my firestriker so the days of wasting a match are hopefully over!

However, I would still appreciate this being tinkered with.

@Leeanda Lol I always try to use the cardboard ones first. My brain tells me the wood ones are better and to save them. Are the wood ones better? They must be right?

Edited by TwoFatCatz
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TwoFatCatz said:

I made it to the summit on interloper 😊 got my firestriker so the days of wasting a match are hopefully over!

However, I would still appreciate this being tinkered with.

@Leeanda Lol I always try to use the cardboard ones first. My brain tells me the wood ones are better and to save them. Are the wood ones better? They must be right?

I've always thought the cardboard ones give you less chance at starting fires ,and @ManicManiac confirmed that yesterday. 

But there's so many of both in pilgrim I don't suppose it matters much.. when you need a fire you really need one 😊.  

@Leeanda Yes now that I’m thinking about it they are a bit crappy. Yes in my custom game I’ve got so many I had to make a rock cache to put them in.

Again as you said there’s a lot of matches in pilgrim so the accidental match usage isn’t as detrimental, which is why it isn’t till now when I’m playing interloper that I’ve noticed how frustrating it is 😅

• Upvote 1