HELP!!! Trapped in a cave...

TFA303

So I killed the bear that came for me in the HRV cave. 

The problem is, now I can't get out. 

It's been four days. His carcass is fully harvested, and I'm just sitting in the cave, melting snow, cooking bear steaks (thank heavens for Cooking Level 5!) and passing time. 

I think that because I'm next to the carcass, it won't de-spawn. I slept before I realised the problem, so I can't quit and restart. 

Any suggestions? 

@Support

20230701183127_1.jpg

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, TFA303 said:

It's been four days. His carcass is fully harvested, and I'm just sitting in the cave, melting snow, cooking bear steaks (thank heavens for Cooking Level 5!) and passing time. 

I think that because I'm next to the carcass, it won't de-spawn. I slept before I realised the problem, so I can't quit and restart. 

Any suggestions? 

@Support

20230701183127_1.jpg

Have you tried to quarter the carcase? Even if it's empty, if you can quarter it you can pass through the feet that are left.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

If it's already fully harvested, I'm assuming that it won't let you interact with the carcass anymore. Usually you can climb onto a bear's body from the head if you walk over it at the right angle so maybe try walking onto the head from different sides. The fact that the ground is sloping down might prevent that though. 

If it never despawns, then hope another bear comes along, kill it in front of the last bear, and climb onto that one to get out 😂

Reminds me of when I got stuck inside of an ice fishing hut because of a bear carcass. I was able to quarter it and get it but that was a waste of 2 hours lol

Edited by Pencil
  • Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, TFA303 said:

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Gonna have to look up the campfire trick....

@Zaknafein has used it in several of his videos, but not lately ,which is why I wonder if it's still possible...  . 

But good luck and I hope you can get out of there..

31 minutes ago, Leeanda said:

@Zaknafein has used it in several of his videos, but not lately ,which is why I wonder if it's still possible...  . 

But good luck and I hope you can get out of there..

Zak says in this video that it no longer works...   

Googling "Long Dark Cheat Codes" now....

Edited by TFA303
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TFA303 said:

Zak says in this video that it no longer works...   

Googling "Long Dark Cheat Codes" now....

image.thumb.png.9476dfe2c6725a3426a28fa1bc9787cf.png

Ah I see.. that's a shame...     Well I hope you can find something.  It'd be a sha me to get permanently stuck and have to lose the run...  

At the least it'd get one over on that bear..can't let him win this one.

25 minutes ago, conanjaguar said:

Won’t the carcass just eventually completely rot away?

It should disappear after it's been fully harvested. But you usually have to walk far enough away first .   Not an option in this case.. 

1 hour ago, nGueRRe said:

try adding the jump mod, jump over the bear then sleep and deinstall the mod ...

So....

I installed MellonLoader, updated my .NET framework, and added the Jump Mod, then restarted my machine. 

And when I opened TLD..... 

The bear was gone.... leaving behind the flare shell I killed him with. 

<shrug>

Many thanks to all who offered suggestions! This is a great community. 

20230702151953_1.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, TFA303 said:

So....

I installed MellonLoader, updated my .NET framework, and added the Jump Mod, then restarted my machine. 

<shrug>

20230702151953_1.jpg

Hooray!!🙂👍.      Glad it worked.   

I keep getting the flare shells back too.   Not going to complain though😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TFA303 said:

So....

<shrug>

20230702151953_1.jpg

Epic!!!!! Glad you're free to leave the cave when you're ready!!!

Carcasses degrade at 1% per game hour, which means that 96 hours after the animal topples over, the carcass despawns. If you're faced with a troublesome carcass but you have food/fuel/water to spare...just hunker down. Pass a few days. Save the game, quit to desktop and reload, and the carcass will likely be gone. If not...do it again. It WILL eventually disappear. But if you never force a scene reload (such as an area transition (which obviously won't work here) or saving/quitting/reloading) a carcass will remain indefinitely. They only appear/disappear "off camera" so to speak, so you don't have direct control over it, but since you do have indirect control over the camera, you also have indirect control over despawning.

Edited by ajb1978
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, TFA303 said:

So.... I got out of the cave.

But the bears won in the end.

20230705121236_1.jpg

Oh dear... That's bad luck... Not just any bear either I see. 

That's an awesome picture. Should be on the screenshot pages🙂👍

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, TFA303 said:

So.... I got out of the cave.

But the bears won in the end.

20230705121236_1.jpg

Outstanding picture, looks like profile picture material… and that expression on his face and the way he’s staring right at you… terrifying.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

On 7/1/2023 at 6:28 PM, TFA303 said:

Any suggestions? 

@Support

20230701183127_1.jpg

Thank you for posting. We're sorry to hear you met an unsavoury end. We'll forward this thread to our Support Team, but if anyone else encounters this issue, please don't hesitate to file a ticket via the Support Portal: http://hinterlandgames.com/support 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...